Sandy, the "super" storm...........

LittleDudesMom

Stay safe everyone! The rain started here last night and it's been on and off. The winds started to pick up a little yesterday, but I hear my wind chimes a lot more this morning -- our winds aren't expected to peak until mid day today. I think we will be more fortunate than those closer to the coastline and those in the direct path. Keep posting....

Sharon

DDD

Sharon, lol, don't forget that wind chimes (and almost anything else) can turn into deadly weapons if you are going to be in for high winds. Sometimes after hurricanes down here we will actuall see pine needles that have penetrated tree trunks. Mother Nature is full of suprises. Hugs DDD

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
LDM, DDD has a very valid point. You should take down those chimes and secure anything a good strong wind might hurl or pick up and lift.

Stay safe everyone. My thoughts and prayers are with you all today.

Hugs

buddy

My cousin in NY (just posted a picture of the new tower by the way, wow! ) said he has cleared his balcony of all plant pots etc. Doesn't want any deadly projections around.
please stay safe guys!

T

toughlovin

I am up near Boston although not on the coast... all the schools are closed here and both my and Dhs work are closed... so we are all home today. We are prepared if we lose power.... so far we had had some rain but not bad yet. At the moment it feels like we are all ready for something that isnt happening.... but it is supposed to hit later today so we shall see.

TL

Mom2oddson

My Aunt, who lives in Maryland, bought a huge Barbie lot at an auction for her granddaughter. It was going to cost to much to mail it to Texas, so she used her free miles to fly down in the morning and fly home in the afternoon. Well, she got to Texas and her return flight got cancelled. She's upset about being in Texas without so much as a toothbrush. ME? I'm glad she's in Texas are far away from the storm!

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Everyone in Sandy's path, please stay safe and keep us updated as to how it is going for you (if you have electricity) God Bless........

DammitJanet

It has upgraded to 90 mph and is 1000 across. I cant reach Jamie at all. That could be because cell towers are down. They have supposedly already got 10 inches of rain. Oh I just got a text from him! He is working right now and will be on until 19:30 and then be back on at 4 am. Looks like the Potomac has probably breached.

bby31288

They have evacuated where I live. Also almost every town has been. We are on the coast. The power had gone out. But now it's back on. For now. Everything in the back yard is secured. We will hunker down!

DammitJanet

TL...are you anywhere near Reading? My entire paternal family is there. I hope they do okay.

Anyone hear from Suz? It should be heading toward her in not too long. Oh and Donna should be hit with a major snow storm sometime today or tonight. Its going to be snowing hard in the mountains here.

And all you folks inland over in OH arent getting off easy from this, you will get hit with it too...lol. We like to share the wealth on the east coast!

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Still can't reach bro. I'm hoping it's cuz cell towers are down. I hope to heck he had brains enough to get OFF the road and hunker down somewhere. ugh

DammitJanet

Is he in a big rig? Where is he coming from? I am sure some of the major truck stops are staying open as shelters for truckers to park their trucks together to form a barrier and then they can go inside.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Yup. He's in a big rig. He was south heading into the north east......was in the north east last night but was having so much trouble keeping the truck on the road he refused to talk, so we have no clue the area he's in currently. So like I said, I'm hoping he's taken shelter somewhere. But I believe it was new york state was where his load was to be dropped.

Nancy

Janet we haven't gotten off easy yet....it's been raining steady since Friday afternoon. The wind is picking up and is projected to be 65mph by tomorrow. Lake Erie waves are over 12ft. Flooding is a real danger. Remember we had the other storm front that is marching across Ohio and is now into Pa and will come face to face with Sandy and then we will get the backlash. I'm sure it's nothing compared to what the coast will get but we will have our problems for sure.

TerryJ2

We've still got power! Can't believe it. And am very happy.

So far, just messy and windy, like a "regular" nor'easter. A bit of flooding nearby, but our house is fine.
Visited P today at assisted living. Her door is leaking, as usual. She's right on the courtyard and the door has a crummy design. Other than that, she is fine and so is everyone else.

Thank you for your good wishes, everyone.

Bby31288, not sure where you are ... s. of NJ? I assume you've been through this boyfriend if you're hunkering down and everyone else has evacuated?

This is actually a welcome respite from the political races. Most of the yard signs have been taken down. :)

DammitJanet

Nancy I think your storm and Sandy are about to meet up. It appears that this is supposed to end up in Chicago of all places! I heard something about Huron being up to 37 feet? I think. All I can think of is the pier and Lake Erie where we all walked and took pictures. I imagine that place will flood. I wonder if you will turn into the snow effect after that though? They are already calling for up to a foot or more in the Appalachian's.

Oh and I just heard a crane came loose in NYC across from Central Park. That is incredibly dangerous. I hope people are staying off the streets. We were on the scene of a crane that fell in Myrtle Beach and several people died.

DDD

Klmno and her difficult child should be in the path of problems too. She's a smart cookie so I assume they will be fine. DDD

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Seriously, we do not need this in ohio. Holy Moly! But Chicago? Wow!

It got cold here this morning, it just keeps getting colder. That rain hurts when it hits you it's so frigging cold. So far though, atm we have only a high wind advisory going........expect winds up to 60 mph. Snow tonight. So far supposed to change back to rain tomorrow.

Rowdy is hunkered down as are the stray cats. sister in law will help Travis put up tarps and secure them for Rowdy to help protect him from both wind/rain. Travis is going out now to remove anything that can become airborne from the yard. (I didn't see until now we were expected to have wind like that geez) Supplies are topped off and I'm prepared to lose power, as is easy child. Nichole is making another run out tonight. Walmart where she is has gone insane. I told her to go to TSC and forget walmart. Once she makes her run, she'll be prepped to lose power too. I hope none of us do........but it does make me leery when our local power co's have not sent crews east because they expect it to get bad power wise here as well.