Sara?? Income Tax ? Please...

Discussion in 'The Watercooler' started by DDD, Apr 5, 2008.

  1. DDD

    DDD Well-Known Member

    I'm taking you up on your offer (or Sara alterego :crazy1:)
    to answer accountant questions. Yes, I'm amost through and ready to file!

    Question: On Schedule A, I assume I just add the qualified travel expenses and hotel costs in with the other medical and dental expenses on line #1. Where do I put the travel (mileage) expenses for charitable work? I know to keep a copy but would it
    go on #16 or #17?

    Question: Does a "charitable organization" have to be 501C3? I'm wondering if I can deduct weekly commute to/fro Rotary Club?? The expenses of meals etc I am sure aren't allowed but how about the cost of getting there? They do alot of charity work.

    This is my last entry before totaling. I can document over $200, yeah! Thanks. DDD
  2. Lothlorien

    Lothlorien Active Member

  3. Star*

    Star* call 911

    I bought a bird cage from Japan - it's almost as complicated with the directions in Chinese, but not as complicated as our taxes. EESCH!

    Put bamboo A skewer into slot B, bend reed down to opening A, shaking it violently as you try to manuver, part F into slit K. But don't breath or it will fall apart.

    D3 - feel like that? :biting:
  4. Lothlorien

    Lothlorien Active Member

    Star, try putting a 5 year old's toy together! Ugh! Just getting all those little twisties and plastic ties off is enough to send someone for the bottle of Dewars!
  5. DDD

    DDD Well-Known Member

    ;) I'm in no hurry, lol. The envelope does not go to the post office until the 14th. DDD
  6. busywend

    busywend Well-Known Member

    DDD, yes, enter it all on Line #1 and keep all receipts that tie to that total.

    "Ambulance service and other travel costs to get medical care. If you used your own car, you can claim what you spent for gas and oil to go to and from the place you received the care; or you can claim 20 cents a mile. Add parking and tolls to the amount you claim under either method."

    As for #2, is the Rotary a non-profit? Does this help?

    Examples of Qualified Charitable Organizations

    • Churches, mosques, synagogues, temples, etc.
    • Boy Scouts, Boys and Girls Clubs of America, CARE, Girl Scouts, Goodwill Industries, Red Cross, Salvation Army, United Way, etc.
    • Fraternal orders, if the gifts will be used for the purposes listed on page A-7.
    • Veterans' and certain cultural groups.
    • Nonprofit schools, hospitals, and organizations whose purpose is to find a cure for, or help people who have, arthritis, asthma, birth defects, cancer, cerebral palsy, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, heart disease, hemophilia, mental illness or retardation, multiple sclerosis, muscular dystrophy, tuberculosis, etc.
    • Federal, state, and local governments if the gifts are solely for public purposes.

    Contributions You Can Deduct

    Contributions can be in cash, property, or out-of-pocket expenses you paid to do volunteer work for the kinds of organizations described earlier. If you drove to and from the volunteer work, you can take the actual cost of gas and oil or 14 cents a mile. Add parking and tolls to the amount you claim under either method. But do not deduct any amounts that were repaid to you.
  7. Sara PA

    Sara PA New Member

    You can't take milage for driving to meetings, only to do actual volunteer work.

    From Publication 502 (2007), Medical and Dental Expenses
    (Including the Health Coverage Tax Credit)


    You can include in medical expenses the cost of meals and lodging at a hospital or similar institution if a principal reason for being there is to receive medical care. See Nursing Home, later.

    You may be able to include in medical expenses the cost of lodging not provided in a hospital or similar institution. You can include the cost of such lodging while away from home if all of the following requirements are met.

    *The lodging is primarily for and essential to medical care.

    *The medical care is provided by a doctor in a licensed hospital or in a medical care facility related to, or the equivalent of, a licensed hospital.

    *The lodging is not lavish or extravagant under the circumstances.

    *There is no significant element of personal pleasure, recreation, or vacation in the travel away from home.

    The amount you include in medical expenses for lodging cannot be more than $50 for each night for each person. You can include lodging for a person traveling with the person receiving the medical care. For example, if a parent is traveling with a sick child, up to $100 per night can be included as a medical expense for lodging. Meals are not included.

    Do not include the cost of lodging while away from home for medical treatment if that treatment is not received from a doctor in a licensed hospital or in a medical care facility related to, or the equivalent of, a licensed hospital or if that lodging is not primarily for or essential to the medical care received.
  8. DDD

    DDD Well-Known Member

    Thank you. And. Thank you, too.

    I feel confident enough to lick the envelope and "sign seal deliver" Uncle Sam the envelope he is waiting for. Of course, I'm still not going to drop at the post office until the 14th BUT I feel better having it finished. LOL

    Thanks again. DDD (AKA The Pauper)
  9. SaraT

    SaraT New Member

    I'm glad SaraPA was able to answer your questions. I am sorry I haven't been on, been dealing with a sick furperson.