Saw the neuropsychologist Today -- Thanks to All! (m)

JulienSam

We finally had our meeting with a highly respected local neuropsychologist today -- it seems forever ago that I made the appointment. I first want to thank ALL the parents who recommended a neuropsychologist evaluation!! It was such a relief to talk to a professional who actually talked about brain function, different parts of the brain and how all this relates to Sam.

Sam "played" for about 2 - 2 1/2 hours today during the evaluation, with a lunch break in the middle. He was getting tired & cranky towards the end, so we'll go back to the office next week to finish the evaluation.

Unfortunately, the neuropsychologist's so heavily scheduled that we won't have our feedback meeting until Sept. 8 (unless someone cancels & we can take their time) -- but I am SO confident that we are FINALLY on the right track at figuring out what causes Sam's issues, that I can wait.

The neuropsychologist proposed that Sam's frontal lobe is developmentally delayed, and that affects much of his behavior -- including the sensory section of his brain. The neuropsychologist just gave us this hypothesis based upon his interview with us, and said that the testing would either prove it right or wrong.

While I am so happy to have finally met with someone who is spending time with- Sam to get the whole picture and understand what's really wrong, I'm also extremely frustrated with the local children's hospital that gave us a diagnosis of ODD after spending only 90 minutes with- us, as well as with the psychiatrist we visited who gave us prescriptions for Sam after only meeting with us for 45 minutes. I'm glad we've been able to stick it out...

So again, I thank all of you who suggested the neuropsychologist -- I just wish I'd been able to find him sooner.

SRL

Glad to hear you are finally on the right track with someone who may be able to help you.

We nearly always tell parents when they first arrive to seek out a developmental pediatrician and/or pediatric neuropsycholgist. The short assessments rarely yield the full picture.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
This must feel good!!! Even if his diagnosis change in the future or he changes... it is still nice to start going down the path where people actually listen and have your and Sam's best interest at heart.
It is a long hard road, but this feeling is SO nice, isn't it???
I hold onto hope, for all of our children to be listened to.