scar tissue after angiogram?

ctmom05

Amongst all my friends here, I know there's got to be folks who have had an angiogram, which is the focus of my question.

I didn't need a stent, but am curious to know if scar tissue can build up post angiogram?

Estherfromjerusalem

Chris, where exactly do you mean? They went in via the groin, and it's like when they take a blood test, and it left no scar tissue (I've had it done twice).

Or do you mean in the heart itself? I don't know about that. When I had my angiogram five years ago, they put in two stents -- regular stents, not the ones that emit medication -- and I have tests done twice a year and everything is absolutely fine. I also have a stent in my neck (carotid artery) and it is also examined by doppler every so often, and it is completely clear. No one has ever mentioned the possibility of any scar tissue, not inside the heart and not in the carotid artery.

That's my personal experience, for what it's worth! Well, for me it has been worth everything, because my life has been saved! I am so grateful to the doctors.

Love, Esther

Estherfromjerusalem

Chris,

It's just like when they take a blood test from the inside of your elbow. They go with a needle into the artery (or is it the vein? I'm not sure), and afterwards it closes like on the arm -- no scar.

Mind you, I can't really see there. It was really in the groin, where the leg joins on to the body.

Excuse me, my mind is boggling a little bit. What difference will it make if you have just a teeny weeny scar just THERE? Boggle, boggle, boggle!

Hugs,

Love, Esther

Sue C

I had a heart catherization (is that an angiogram??) approx 16 years ago. I have no scar tissue build up in the groin area that I've ever noticed.

sue

ctmom05

Esther,

A scar wouldn't bother me in the least. I was asking about scar tissue, which can sometimes be felt beneath the skin - rather than seen above it.

The spot I am referring to is also an area where there are lymph nodes. As a 2 time survivor of non hodgkins lymphoma, I was trying to figure out if a previous cardiac procedure could have caused a small amount of scar tissue, which might feel similar to an enlarged lymph node.

amy4129

Yes you could have scar tissue HOWEVER with your history you NEED to have it looked. Please keep us updated.
Amy

ctmom05

I have a lot of practice referring issues to my doctor - oncologist or otherwise<grin> As Amy said, it's my health history that puts me on alert.

With this post, I figured on doing a little of my own information gathering. I have put a call in to my onc and will take it from there.

Esther, I wouldn't say you were flippant; please don't worry about that. Actually, it is important to engage in thorough post care, as followup to a serious medical event. It is also important not to allow your life to be defined by illnesses, otherwise you become a boring perpetual victim - a little perspective is good.

ctmom05

I saw my oncologist, who is going to re-examine the lumps in the femoral area when I see him in March.

At that point he will decide if further diagnostics are warranted. Patients always want answers, that I know; the "watch and wait" phases doesn't bring them.