Scary night ended in hospitalization

UpandDown

My son's turbulent up and down past 2 weeks culminated in a scary situation. I grounded him for taking out the car until 1am without permission. I knew he would not take it well. He completely flipped out, grabbed a knife and threatened to kill himself. I called 911 which I have wanted to do many times before but was scared it would escalate him. This time, I did it and the 10 or so minutes I was on the phone with the dispatch had to be the longest of my life. He ran outside with the knife but ran back in dropped it and said he didn't want to kill himself but I was pushing him over the edge. He got more and more upset each time I answered a question from the dispatcher. He was franticallly running through the house, falling down here and there crying , grabbing his chest saying he couldn't breathe. I could see he was having a full blown panic attack but anytime I got close it got worse. Finally the police came and he had calmed himself down with 3 beers that he grabbed from the fridge. They were very helpful calm (although they showed up with 6 cars, fire truck and ambulance) and took him by ambulance to the ER. We sat there in triage for 9 1/2 hours consulting with mental health, getting blood work, xrays (because he punched a door during this),etc. After much deliberating and many tears it was decided for him to go into partial hospitalization and try once again to find a medication that can treat his mood and anxiety. I don't want to get overly optimistic but this was such a low for him that he finally seems willing to listen and try medication. He is well aware that he is very close to week overnight treatment in pysch. So the next 2 weeks he will be in treatment during the day. I think I am numb and in shock that this all happened.

Origami

Hi UpandDown--
I just saw your post and wanted to lend my support to your difficult situation. You definitely did the right thing by calling 911 and hopefully your son will be open to whatever help is available. I went through some similar events with my son from ages 15 to about 18, when he finally calmed down (he's 19 now). He had frequent panic attacks and was hospitalized once. He's been in therapy since then and is doing much better. Hugs, and keep us posted--

New Leaf

After much deliberating and many tears it was decided for him to go into partial hospitalization and try once again to find a medication that can treat his mood and anxiety. I don't want to get overly optimistic but this was such a low for him that he finally seems willing to listen and try medication.
What a scary and difficult night for you all UpandDown, I am sorry for this happening.You did the right thing in calling the police. I am glad they were calm, and able to get him to the hospital. Hopefully, they will get some answers and find the right medicine for him.
He is well aware that he is very close to week overnight treatment in pysch. So the next 2 weeks he will be in treatment during the day. I think I am numb and in shock that this all happened.
He is where he needs to be. I would be numb and in shock as well. I hope you have someone to talk with, and walk through this with UpandDown. Keep posting and let us know how you are doing. Stay strong dear.
(((HUGS)))
leafy

Nancy

That is a very scary situation. There have been a few instances with my daughter where she went completely out of control and I think in the end it scared her as much as it did us. Sounds like the police were very helpful and thank goodness the hospital took it seriously. I hope they can come up with some answers.

pigless in VA

Oh, my . . . big hugs for you, U&D. :group-hug:You did what you needed to do to help your son. I know it was difficult, but you stayed the course. Good for you.

I'm somewhat concerned about him downing three beers. Do you think it would be better for him to remove all the alcohol from your house? I'd be worried about him mixing alcohol with psychiatric medications.

RN0441

100% better than I was but not at 100% yet
So sorry you had to go through this! I think it was good that you showed him that if he threatens to kill himself that you take it very seriously.

My son did the same threat a few weeks ago and I took him to the hospital at 3am. He was admitted to detox but then said he only threatened to kill himself (via a text to me in bed) so I would take him to the hospital. I still kept the texts to remind me what a bad place he was in to say such things. He is now in rehab but has a very long way to go.

Prayers for your son and your family.

UpandDown

thank you all for the support. Day 3 in the program and things are going well. I say that holding my breath not wanting to jinx things. Dr got him on a mood stabilizer that he seems to be tolerating. He has always refused medications and prefers his own medication of weed. This time, he is very aware that his way wasn't working so well and he is at least trying the doctors way. He is very grateful that at the end of the day in treatment he gets to come home and not stay there overnight. He has been taking long bike rides which helps his mood as well. I am extremely thankful for a peaceful day. I still wake up in the middle of the night filled with the most awful feeling of fear. As his therapist says, one day at a time one breath at a time.

UpandDown

Oh, my . . . big hugs for you, U&D. :group-hug:You did what you needed to do to help your son. I know it was difficult, but you stayed the course. Good for you.

I'm somewhat concerned about him downing three beers. Do you think it would be better for him to remove all the alcohol from your house? I'd be worried about him mixing alcohol with psychiatric medications.
Yes, we have removed all alcohol and medications. Thank you for reminding me. I had done this before but forgotten that we had beer in our garage. He knew. :(

pigless in VA

U&D, his awareness is huge plus. :) The bike rides and his appreciation of being home at night are also positive signs. I hope the mood stabilizer helps enough that he won't want to self-medicate.

I wish psychiatrists had better tools at their disposal - like a test they could run to determine which medication is best for which patient. So many people get discouraged with the trial and error approach. I also don't like that the medications for anxiety tend to slowly make people depressed.

Roxona

What a scary situation, and what a hard decision you had to make! I think you made the right decision though. It will get him the help he needs, but I think the bonus is that he will never put you in that situation again. He will think twice. I am sorry you are having such a stressful time. ((((((HUGS))))))

Copabanana

I am reading along. I am glad he is where he is. And I echo the others that he is making some good choices. Hopefully, he will have reached his bottom. In any event, you are doing great.

Take care.

COPA