Scents that take you back...

KTMom91

Roses remind me of Nana's garden. She had a beautiful rose garden, and spent lots of time keeping it that way.

Lavender remind me of Granny, who always used Yardley soap.

Remember the popcorn machine at Woolworth's? I think of my grandparents' store when I smell popcorn made that way.

Bread baking also reminds me of Nana, who made the most wonderful rolls on holidays.

Pink Elephant

Roses remind me of Nana's garden. She had a beautiful rose garden, and spent lots of time keeping it that way.

Lavender remind me of Granny, who always used Yardley soap.

Remember the popcorn machine at Woolworth's? I think of my grandparents' store when I smell popcorn made that way.

Bread baking also reminds me of Nana, who made the most wonderful rolls on holidays.
OMG, KT, I just love this thread!!! Totally awesome of you! :)

Goodness me... so many.

Yes, Woolworth's Dept. Store (for sure)! I can hear and smell the budgie birds now! And the luncheon counter! My favourite! Fries and a vanilla shake in a stainless or aluminum tumbler!

Popcorn at the movie theatre! Having enough money to buy some popcorn, a few licorice, and a swamp-water drink was heaven!!!

Also whenever the fair came to town, there was always a distinct on the grounds. Hot dogs, cotton-candy, hamburgers. So yummy!

Also remember the fresh yummy goodness when we'd go to the Dairy Queen! Oh my goodness... those ice cream cones were the best! You could smell the ice-milk or ice cream while standing in line!

Pink Elephant

The scent of early 1970's Pampers. It was a sort of baby powder scent, but much sweeter.

The smell of A&D Diaper Rash Ointment (babysitting). I can still smell it now.

The smell of brand new, fresh out of the package, baby rubber pants. Believe me, they didn't smell fresh for very long! LOL!

Shortbread cookies baking in the oven at Christmas time!

The corner store where us kids bought candy and were sent to buy cigarettes for our moms.

The city bakery! And, the supermarket bakery! OMG! Those cream and jelly filled powdered donuts! I can smell and taste them now just thinking about them!

Service Stations. Gasoline, oil, grease, and solvent! Neighbours ran a service station when I was a kid. hated the smell then, still hate it now, but it does bring back warm memories.

Clothing stores! So clean.

More to come!

Pink Elephant

The nursery room in our house always smelled like baby powder, and the bathroom like diapers, because I often changed the kids in the bathroom, and the bathroom is where I kept the diaper pail.

Pink Elephant

Pretty much all baby things. Everything was made out of plastic or had plastic in it, so there was that vinyl/rubber smell always.

Rubber crib sheets
Vinyl highchair seats
Playpens
Rubber pants for cloth diapers
Plastic bibs
Rubber baby bottle nipples
Soothers

I remember all the above!

Pink Elephant

Original Pine-Sol.

Gee you guys, how I miss the original Pine-Sol (with real pine oil). They quit making it with real pine nuts a year or more ago and I haven't bought it since. can't stand the smell of the new stuff.

Pink Elephant

The diaper pail! Need I say more? LOL!

And those drenched morning diapers! Pee-ew! I don't know which I hated worse, poopy diapers, or soaking wet diapers in the morning that had put in an entire nightshift stewing under rubber pants.

When I could smell my kids diapers over the smell of my cigarette, I knew change-time wasn't going to be pleasant.

Last edited:

KTMom91

Oh, yes! Newspapers! The San Francisco Chronicle in particular, where the ink smeared onto your fingers as you read it.

Pink Elephant

Oh, yes! Newspapers! The San Francisco Chronicle in particular, where the ink smeared onto your fingers as you read it.
My least favourable part related to reading newspapers! LOL!

I remember in elementary school, going down to the office to print off an entire class of papers, and carrying them back to class. The papers would be warm and the fresh scent of photo-copier ink was clearly present.

Love old memories...

Pink Elephant

I remember taking chalkboard brushes downstairs to the boiler room in the basement of the school to use the vacuum to clean them with, and the smell of the chalk in the fibers of the brushes is still fresh in my mind.

The janitor would be sitting having a cup of tea of coffee, and the noise of all the boilers and things was deafening, but the large cavernous space was always so warm and comfy.

Wish I could go back to those days for a quick visit.

ksm

Flowering catalpa trees in the spring...

My moms pumpkin pies

Love's Baby Soft Perfume

That awful smell piney/sweet smell when the school janitor sprinkled something on the floor when a student threw up...

A freshly bathed baby with baby lotion on...

Fresh brewed coffee

And a smell that I can't forget...and could not stand...when my mother in law cooked beef kidneys for my husband. I guess it was something he liked growing up so she fixed it for him once when we visited. The whole house had a distinct aroma of urine.

Pink Elephant

Flowering catalpa trees in the spring...

My moms pumpkin pies

Love's Baby Soft Perfume

That awful smell piney/sweet smell when the school janitor sprinkled something on the floor when a student threw up...

A freshly bathed baby with baby lotion on...

Fresh brewed coffee

And a smell that I can't forget...and could not stand...when my mother in law cooked beef kidneys for my husband. I guess it was something he liked growing up so she fixed it for him once when we visited. The whole house had a distinct aroma of urine.
Oh, the pumpkin pie memory has my mouth watering right now!

Yep, I remember Love's baby Soft (and the smell).

Yes, new babies freshly bathed, I, too, loved that scent!

Also remember the strong ammonia odour that rubber pants used to get. Once the pants started stinking, no amount of washing or bleaching would get that strong odour out, and the odour got even worse when the pants would get stained after a heavy soiling - like after a bout with diarrhea.

The stinky rubber pants smell I remember most from babysitting. At homes where the moms neglected changing-out the pants regularly for fresh ones at diaper-time, it was those homes where the rubber pants smelled the worst. When helping my mom with baby sibs, we always changed the rubber pants regularly. Every 3-4 diapers that we changed, the rubber pants got changed, too. Into the diaper pail they went, and even then the pants still carried an odour.

Yucky... I can't imagine preparing something that would stink up the house, and then sitting down to eat it.

Last edited:

BusynMember

My extremely beloved grandmother wore Blue Grass perfume. It was her scent. Often I still buy it to remember her more clearly although of course I know she is still with me most of the time :)