Scheduled my nose surgery & I need a pre-op CBC & EKG. Why does that make me nervous?

S

Signorina

Besides my C-section and wisdom teeth removal (when I was 16) - I've never had surgery and I am slightly freaked out. And I wonder if the EKG and CBC will unearth some scary medical anomaly . Which is probably a ridiculous worry - but my dad first became ill at age 45 and it was all downhill after that. He was sick and in and out of hospitals for the next 25 years and nothing - even "easy" tests or a cavity filling - went routinely for him. And of course, I am 45. And have a family history of heart disease. And I tried Phen Fen way back in 1997. And smoked in HS/college.

And I am seeing an ENT who is also a plastic surgeon for my nose repair (I broke it in April) He pointed out everything that is wrong with my nose- including it's natural characteristics-OUCH! I think he kept forgetting I wasn't his typical patient looking forward to a medical makeover. He did a double take when I visibly shuddered at his description of breaking my nose (again) during surgery. And seeing my bare face (every pore, line, freckle, blemish) blown up on a 55" TV was not for the faint of heart.

But I really want my nose FIXED. The form isn't too bad - but it doesn't look like it did - and the function is really awful. And I need to get it done this year for deductible and insurance purposes. Please cross your fingers that my insurance will pay "no questions asked." (they should but since when do insurance companies act responsibly?)

Any tips for "passing" the pre OP tests? Should I take iron? (I am always slightly anemic) What about the EKG - do I need to be hydrated? I'm in pretty good health generally.

General Anesthesia will be OK, right?

End of whine...

Nancy

I'm sure both tests will be fine. I had to have those too before my foot surgery in July. They want to make sure you don't have any heart issues. Fortunately Ihave that watched for you. had both the EKG and blood tests two months before at my physical and they were able to use those. The EKG takes about 60 seconds. If you have had physicals regularly I'm sure you are fine but since your dad had heart disease you really should The blood tests will be fine too. I did not do anything special in fact I didn't even know he was going to take blood that day.

I know any surgery is worrisome. The only surgery I ever had was my tonsils out when I was 5 and I'm a bit older than you now (OK more than a bit). So the anesthesia worried me but it was a breeze.

When is this scheduled?

Nancy

S

Signorina

My physical is finally scheduled for October 22 - my doctors. office gave me a hard time about squeezing me in- crazy.

The surgery is November 1 and splint removal on November 9. He said I will want to stay at home while I still have the splint. Until it's removed, I must take baths instead of showers (we have 1 VERY well worn bathtub in our house. In the original & mostly unused 1950 pink tiled bathroom. The taps spew rusty water. We've lived here 4 years and no one has ever showered or bathed in there. Yay, me)

And I need shirts that don't go over the head for those 10 days. I own exactly 3 blouses that have buttons - 2 are silk - and not a single pair of pajamas with buttons. I hate buttons. And I hate "blouses" - because they never fit me. I have broad shoulders and they gape or bunch up and drive me bananas. So I will have to go out and buy some tops & pjs, that I will never wear again. I am just a whining machine today.

On a positive note, Nov 10 is our wedding anniversary. I booked a hair appointment - I haven't had a hair cut since June - I am hoping I will look presentable for a quiet evening in a dark restaurant. husband swears he will not go anywhere with me if I am still bruised. He got A LOT of dirty looks when I had the black eyes from the original break!

witzend

I wouldn't worry about either of them. Take a daily multivitamin if you're not already. We all should have this as part of our daily routine. The EKG is done while you lie still, so unless you actually have a heart problem there's nothing to worry about. Drinking water won't hurt, but it may make your bladder want to go, so be sure to stop at the lady's room before you get on the table.

InsaneCdn

Don't go buy clothes you won't wear anyway.

Use husband's shirts. They may be a bit big but who cares.
You can borrow his PJs too, or get yourself a nice fleece set (pants and zippered top) that you can use as PJs and then use for other things later.

A month is a bit too fast to do a major reno on that bathroom, but... it WOULD be nice...

S

Signorina

OH IC - I would love to gut that bathroom. Our house is from 1952 but we did major renovation after purchasing it in 2007 and moved in in 2008. It's the original 1950s Mamie Eisenhower pink main bath. It was cheaper to leave it alone & build a separate new master bathroom. Crazy. Our tubless but lovely master bath is piggybacked off of its pipes. A blogger described the color of our mutual 50s salmon/pink bathrooms as "the color of nausea."

I dream of breaking through and gutting it - adding a big soaking tub and a linen closet. It was in the short term plan before the bubble burst. Maybe someday...

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
The cbc is to make sure you're not coming down with a bug and to make sure your clotting will be fine. (if you're slightly anemic you might have some trouble clotting.....gives them a heads up to watch for it) EKG is probably the doctor is just being careful due to your age, perhaps family history. Can't say I ever had one as a pre op thing before.

It will be fine. Fred had his deviated septum repaired and other than sounding funny when he talked and keeping ahead of the pain (head pain blows big time), he did just fine.

As for your rusty water issue, let it run a bit.......that might be all it needs.

Hugs

DammitJanet

I would run that tap water for a couple of days for about 20 minute on hot water. I am betting your hot water taps are rusty since no one is using them. After that. Clean the tub and you will be fine. Or just get a shower chair to sit in their and wash the bits and pieces for the time needed. You can normally pick one up at a thrift sore cheap. No one says you need to soak.

buddy

Hoping all goes smoothly for your surgery. You will be stunning once again!
Does your master shower have a hand held option so your face wouldn't get wet? Would they approve of.that or is it too big of a risk? How will you wash your hair? (Just wondering) . I suppose you can fill the tub the old fashoned way bringing in water from another source if you get desperate. Or visit a close friend or relative to borrow a tub? Heck, maybe a night or two in a hotel ....a get away plus a bath!

Star*

call 911........call 911
Frozen peas.......Best ice pack in the world. As I have no idea what to expect after nose surgery - I can only tell you if you have swelling? Frozen peas seem to conform to the contours of a body in any place better than any vegetable in your freeezer and are lighter than those freezy packs.

As far as the pink in the bathroom.........I think there is a sheriff in Arizona that purposely uses that color to calm his prisioners. And on a lighter note - If my husband refused to go out in public with me because I had bruises from having my nose fixed? HEEEEEEEEEE would also know what it was like to suffer the stigma of said same. ------However I digress I would schedule his untimely "demise" so that the same unfortunate "accident" also rolled around on our anniversary so he could enjoy the same dining experience. Honestly, and they call US the vain sex?

Best of luck with your operation.

MyFriendKita

I had to have an EKG last year before my hysterectomy, due solely to my age (early fifties). They did call and tell me there was an abnormality, and I had to go back for another check, but the doctor who did the recheck told me the problem was with the way that particular lead was placed, not with my heart. They said it was common in women for that to happen. I had never had surgery, either, except for having my tonsils out when I was eight. I was worried about being put under, too, and I had put the surgery off for several years because of it, but I didn't have any problems while under. They did ask at the preop exam if I was prone to motion sickness (I am), so they put a patch behind my ear to try and keep me from vomiting after surgery. I did still vomit, once, but other than that, I had no problems. I know it is scary, but I'm sure you'll do great. One word about the vitamins, though, I wouldn't start taking anything, even vitamins, this close to surgery, unless they tell you to do so.

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Sig, like you I haven't had too many surgeries and when I had to have surgery in my 50's for carpal tunnel, I was feeling a little freaked out too. The hospital I went to, Kaiser Permanente in CA. provided a CD of soft music programmed with gentle suggestions about the surgery going well, me being peaceful and calm, etc. and it worked wonders. Many years ago, I had to have a biopsy and that was another level of anxiety and I went to a hypnotherapist one time right before and it was amazing,...... the day of the surgery, it was like I was going out for breakfast, no anxiety, no fear, I felt absolutely fine. So, the "suggestions" on both the CD and hypnotherapy really worked to completely alleviate all anxiety and make the experiences totally different then they would have been without those. Sending gentle hugs..............

trinityroyal

Sig, those tests are to make sure that any anomalies are known ahead of time so that the docs aren't caught by surprise during the surgery. They are pretty routine, and nothing to worry about as others have mentioned.

As for the blouses, I feel your pain. I too have broad shoulders and HATE blouses.

Here's one solution that might make you feel a bit better while you're convalescing. Take a man's shirt in whatever colour is available and flattering. Instead of buttoning it up the traditional way, fold the button and buttonhole plackets under, and then cross the sides of the shirt over your middle in a V (like a wrap dress or sweater). Tie the shirt tails at your waist in the back. Throw on a pair of yoga pants or comfy loose jeans, and you look great. Pulled together, while still feeling comfortable.

This was one of my staple outfits when recovering from surgery, when I had lots of people coming over for visits and I felt a burning need to look presentable.

As for the bath thing, you could try a sink bath if the tub is just too unpalatable. Fill the sink with hot water and bath bubbles, get a sponge, and have at it. Stand on a thick absorbent towel so that you don't do a header on a slippery floor. If you try this, you will need someone to help you wash your hair, as you lean backward over the edge of the sink.

I was not allowed to have a shower or bath after a couple of my abdominal surgeries, and the thought of going a single day without bathing gave me the heebie jeebies. I cobbled up a solution that was surgically compliant and still met my need to be washed.

Sending good thoughts and healing vibes, and prayers for an uneventful surgery and recovery.

InsaneCdn

Take Trinity's idea, but use a basin or bucket instead of the sink, and a "shower chair" that you can set in the tub. Then you can splash around all you want.

witzend

Signora, We had an awful powder blue tile bathroom in the 1980's house we bought. Even the toilet and sink were powder blue. We had those people from Miracle Bath come and do all of the tile and do it white, and it was BEAUTIFUL. It took two days - one for primer, one for finish - and they were done. We could have had them do the sink and toilet too, but it was just easier to pull the old vanity and put a new one in, along with a new toilet. That way everything was fresh and clean. husband did the floor, too, because it's such a small space. Between the Miracle Bath and the new toilet & vanity (which also gave us a chance to paint what little wall wasn't tiled) it was a two weekend job.

If was VERY inexpensive and everyone LOVED our bath. Get a quote and see what you think. They take ALL of that old gunk off before they start, so you don't even have to put any effort into getting it ready. Put a new faucet & fixtures on, and voila! You're set. It would be a nice treat for yourself if it's in the budget.

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Sig--

First (((hugs)))

Second - my daughter had corrective surgery after she broker her nose so i can give you a little insight:

The swelling and pain were not too bad (I should note - she's a tough one...she has a high pain tolerance, so take that FWIW.)

The biggest concern was not doing anything that might accidentally "bump" the nose back out of place while it is still "setting". That's why they want you to use button-down shirts and take baths instead of showers. They do not want to risk anything bumping, snagging, or pushing your still-healing nose out of line.

My daughter's nose healed right-as-rain, straight as an arrow.

And then, wouldn't you know, some years later somebody bumped her in *exactly* the repaired spot - and it pushed her nose out of line. So now she has as ever-so-slightly crooked nose with a little bump where it was broken.

So basically - in spite of our best efforts....stuff happens. Just do the best you can to avoid any major mis-alignments while you are healing.

You should do fine!

Good luck!

TerryJ2

Great ideas here!

Your tests will be fine. You will not want to take vitamins before the surgery though, but they will give you all those instructions.

In regard to your dad's health issues, that was then, this is now. My b-i-l had what he calls, "A little procedure," 5 yrs ago, which was indeed, simple, compared to 25 yrs ago. His dad died of heart issues in his 50s, and my b-i-l is still alive and kicking. I have several aunts and a grandmother who died from complications from breast cancer, and I had a lumpectomy 5 yrs ago and rarely even think about it.
SO MUCH has changed, that if something is uncovered by the test, you will be lucky in that you will be able to choose whether to do the nose first, or something else. It is truly amazing. Please try to re-frame it like that.

Take care and relax!