School did an Occupational Therapist (OT) evaluation

Sharon1974

It states that there are 4 areas of typical performance. They are: sensory sensitivity (as it relates to movement and gravitational security), sedentary, fine motor/perceptural, and endurance/tone.

4 areas were rated as definite difference,indicating that the preferences and behaviors correlate with sensory processing difficulties in these areas thatimpact funtional performance- they are: emotional reactivity, oral-sensory sensitivity, attention/distractablility, and registration.

One area was rated probable difference - sensory seeking.

The report indicates that "JK has some significant difficulties processing sensory information in a number of areas and that this difficulty impacts his functional performance at school". They are going to provide a sensory diet of activities for school and another one for the home.

Can anyone translate? I knew that he had sensory problems but don't really understand what this is saying.

Sheila

Sensory issues are complex.

Do you know the specific name of the test used? It sounds like a SensoryProfile.

If it is the Sensory Profile, I've learned not to assume lay language is applicable when trying to understand category classifications.

I'd want the scores.

The Occupational Therapist (OT) will best be able to explain the results. You have a right to meet with him/her and get the results interpreted.

Some basic info:

https://web.archive.org/web/2007061...oortime.org/ft.php?page=The Processing System

http://classes.kumc.edu/sah/resources/se...ncepts_main.htm

There should be more info in the Sp Ed Archives.

Martie

I do not know enough about the evaluation of sensory issues to respond specifically.

However, you have an ABSOLUTE right to have the scores interpreted and the raw scores reinterpreted by your own consultant if, after their explanation, you still do not understand or agree.

(It is possible to know what a score means and not agree with the interpretation.) Here is an example of what I mean: when my ex-difficult child was 11, he produced a "listening to sounds" subscale score with a standard score of 89 (more than one s.d. below the mean.) No one believed this was valid--he most likely was unmotivated, and he is a musician who is very sensitive--in a good way--to everything about sound. I refused further testing of this item even though the S/L person wanted it "investigated" as a possible cause for his problems. The issue wasn't over the score: both of us knew what a SS of 89 is; the disagreement was over what the score MEANT for my son.

I hope this example helps you see that two levels of understanding are needed in interpretation of evaluation results: what score is obtained and what the meaning is.

Martie

Sharon1974

Thank you so much for the links and advice. They were very helpful. I am actually amazed at how right on the scores are. I was surprised at what an accurate picture they were of JK. Now I wonder if he gets sick at school due to emotional reactivity, or anxiety (or are they pretty much the same thing). I can't tell you how many times I had to pick JK up from school last year due to headaches, stomach aches, dirrhea, and vomiting.

The pediatrician thought it was due to anxiety at school (or more specifically - he thought someone was bullying JK) and it all dissappeared once school let out in June.

Sheila

[ QUOTE ]
emotional reactivity, or anxiety (or are they pretty much the same thing).

[/ QUOTE ]

It could be, but I'd ask the Occupational Therapist (OT).

I found the SensoryProfile test by using keywords you had written in your post. I really know nothing about it. If the test name isn't spelled out in the report, check with-the Occupational Therapist (OT); the test used for your son may indeed be something else.

difficult child's testing was done via the SIPT. I was able to find definitions of all the subtests. It was helpful in my understanding.

It's been a long time since I researched Sensory Integration Disorder (SID). I was reading on the sensory processing disorder (SPD) Network site and learned that sensory processing disorder (SPD) is another new term for Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) (Sensory Integration Disorder). It's also known as DIS or DSI -- I forget which.

Sharon1974

I am hoping to hear from the Occupational Therapist (OT) by the end of next week. I know school just started (they just finished their first full week), but if I don't fear from her by Thursday night I am putting a call in on Fri morning.