School discipline reviewed

Allan-Matlem

Hi,

There are excellent resources for parents who like the " explosive child ' - CPS collaborative problem approach.

Http://livesinthebalance.org and http://thinkkids.org

Here is a very informative link to a radio program featuring Ross Greene -the author of Lost at School and Alfie Kohn author of Beyond Discipline , moving from compliance to community . They are my 2 favorite authors .

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/drrossgreene
Original Air Date: 01/02/2010 22:30

Understanding and Helping Behaviorally Challenging Students: Collaborative Problem Solving at School

In this program, Dr. Greene had the pleasure of talking with Alfie Kohn, author of Punished by Rewards, Beyond Discipline, and many other critical books. This was a fun and enlightening discussion about a variety of school-related topics, including school discipline, socially healthy classrooms, high-stakes testing...the whole gamut. Listen to the archive!

Allan

LittleDudesMom

Thanks Allen.

We haven't heard from you in a while - thanks for posting the info. "Lost in School" was a fabulous book!

Sharon

Allan-Matlem

Hi,

Lost at school for me is Ross Greene's best book both for parents and educators.
My kids are out of school -studying , working , getting married.

I still have a passion for parenting and education learning and sharing especially what Alfie Kohn and Ross Greene have to say

The most important parenting tool is relationship and trust , the ability to enjoy each others company just chatting , sharing perspectives and trying to solve problems in a collaborative way. Positive peers and inspiring teachers played an important role

Parenting is more about becoming an attractive personality that can reach a kid , working with him rather than doing to him

Allan

Fran

Former desparate mom
Thanks Allen. I agree that if you treat a child with dignity and cooperative problem solving that it is investing in their future development. Much of what we worked on 5 to 10 yrs ago is only now coming to fruition. Looking long term is difficult in the heat of the moment but stopping knee jerk reactions of anger has much better results.

It's a different way of thinking. Out of the box type parenting from what I knew as a child.