School District Seeks to Bankrupt Student's Family

CrazyinVA

Staff member
This may belong in the News Forum, but I was so outraged when I read it, I wanted to post it here to share. I know we have many parents in Texas who have struggled with Special Education services... but this one takes the cake.

T

TeDo

I agree. This is appalling!! I think the parents should turn around and refile their suit against the SD for violating Federal law by NOT providing a free and appropriate education. If nothing else, he could recieve that education somewhere else at the SD expense. I am so glad they are not backing down. I would even sue the SD for my own legal fees if I were them. That poor boy. Glad I don't live there.

:mad:

B

Bluemoon

Absolutely, they should sue for reimbursement of the expences they have had to fight this BS....and then some.

Sent chills down my spine. I already worry cause I work for the school district I am advocating for my son in!

Marguerite

The main reason the parents are not suing, is they can't afford it. Justice is a luxury for the wealthy. What needs to happen, is either the interested media networks or support groups with a special interest in this, need to financially support this fight.

There were times I wanted to sue the local school for their failure to protect difficult child 3 against the bullying, and especially for the times they reinvented the truth merely to avoid having to deal with these serious issues. But even though to me it seems so obvious, I know how well they muddied the waters, plus time has passed, plus I would not have any witnesses or supporters if I tried, because the town has been so thoroughly cowed by the bullying tactics. It would revisit a lot of stuff we have moved on from.

But that is us. My method of dealing with this has been to fight them for legal rights and to fight for more services according to the law. We don't have individual districts here that can sue - the Dept of Ed is state-based and government controlled. If they tried a lawsuit like this, the government would have to step in and prevent because it would be unlawful.

It sounds to me that in this case there is one important, vengeful official who is determined to drive this family out of the country. I would suggest the TV network find out who it is and do an expose. All's fair in love and war, and this is definitely war.

Marg