School has gone too far -- yearbook control

gcvmom

Here we go again!
I can't believe what easy child and difficult child 2 just told me. Their elementary principal gave an edict and the teachers relayed it to the students yesterday that they are NOT allowed to use acronyms in the signing of their yearbooks!!! What the flippin' Hades?

So when they sign their name, they can't write HAGS (Have A Great Summer) or HATS (Have A Terrific Summer), or anything else that involves an acronym.

I am SO glad we are done with this school. :mad:

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
*** are they THINKING????????

Sorry but how are they going to police this? Read EVERYONE'S YEARBOOK?

Sigh. I'm glad you're done with them too.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
YOU should sign your child's yearbook in all acronyms. Our JRHS tried to police this and it went south very fast - there is no way for them to police this. It's so stupid. I used an acronym when I signed difficult child's yearbook. Boo! What a bunch of jerks.

eekysign

Ummmmmm....do they forget that this is the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA?

Freedom of speech has always been seriously curtailed in the school systems.

Honestly, I don't agree with this, but it just reflects the current state of affairs. Sadly, I don't find it surprising at all. :mad:

Last edited:

DammitJanet

Are there any acronyms that spell bad words? I can almost see saying dont write bad words in years books even if they are acronyms but that would be really hard to police...especially if this is district-wide and you are talking about high school aged kids. Maybe teachers can watch over elementary kids but no way in hell can you police junior or senior high kids who do it outside of class.

eekysign

Are there any acronyms that spell bad words? I can almost see saying dont write bad words in years books even if they are acronyms but that would be really hard to police...especially if this is district-wide and you are talking about high school aged kids. Maybe teachers can watch over elementary kids but no way in hell can you police junior or senior high kids who do it outside of class.

I'm pretty sure you've hit the nail on the head. They're probably trying to stop "dub-u - tee - eff" and other such words that THIS site censors. Silly, but again - yeah, I'm not surprised.

busywend

You mean no LOL!

How ridiculous is that?

The site is viewed by the WHOLE world, and once written a post is out there FOREVER, so it is good to have some restraint and controls. That yearbook will not be viewed again for many years. Although, if you happen to become famous....what you wrote can come back to haunt you.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Wow, I didn't know the site censored***. Funny, 'cuz I put it in a post... Oh well.

I guess they can't mention golf, either. That's an acronym. And if you are anywhere near a military base... HA HA HA... LOL

Last edited by a moderator:

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Hi GCVMom--

I am not in the least bit surprised....and the "dirty" words are probably not the only things they are worried about. These days, teens can text whole books of information using just acronyms and abbreviations. The school probably doesn't want to be liable for any messages that it may unwittingly publish in a yearbook because they were not "in" on the "code".

--DaisyF

Lothlorien

The F word is not appreciated on this site...even if it's listed as an acronym. It will be edited EVERY time, even if you try to beat the censor, so please don't continue to do it.

eekysign

The F word is not appreciated on this site...even if it's listed as an acronym. It will be edited EVERY time, even if you try to beat the censor, so please don't continue to do it.

Oy.....I would think it'd be pretty obvious that no one here is intentionally trying to beat the censor. It was just plain surprise that it was censored (not because we think it shouldn't be, but because we just didn't KNOW it was until now), and a discussion of what the school might be worried about getting into the yearbooks. That's all Step and I were discussing.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
LOL - Whoops. I do understand... THAT word at least. No worries. I won't do it anymore, Loth. :916blusher:

Actually I mentioned the "golf" thing because so many people believe it. There are so many old wives' tales/urban legends about this stuff. There are some acronymss that difficult child 1 comes up with that I just shake my head over. So many ways of "getting around" the fact that we won't let her use profanity. So I do understand the point of the yearbook censoring - but I would like to see them actually be able to police it.

Lothlorien

EEky, why wouldn't it be censored? It's a filthy word and there is just no place for it here.

Thank you for understanding Step 2

eekysign

EEky, why wouldn't it be censored? It's a filthy word and there is just no place for it here.

Thank you for understanding Step 2

Read my post again, Loth. Especially this part:
I would think it'd be pretty obvious that no one here is intentionally trying to beat the censor. It was just plain surprise that it was censored (not because we think it shouldn't be, but because we just didn't KNOW it was until now).

Again, I didn't realize it was censored until Step had hers censored, because SHE didn't realize it was censored. And we were discussing how we didn't realize, oops, how bad of us. Sorry.