School Negligence Continues ....

V

vja4Him

We are still having problems with my son's school. This is his third week of summer school (only one more week to go). Yesterday he got in trouble. He forgot to take his medication. I was very sick with the stomach flu and was not able to help him get ready for school.
Got a call from one of the many summer school principals (they keep changing every few days). She told me that any more trouble from my son and they will expel him from summer school (they have a no tolerance policy).
I asked the principal to try implementing some of the strategies and accommodations to help my son. She asked me what I wanted to do! I told her to just do what my son's 504 Plan says, and what teachers usually do to help the kids. She was not even aware that my son has a 504 Plan!
I told her that I have contacted all of my son's teachers (including his three summer school teachers) several principals and several administrators, and reminded them that my son has a 504 Plan. I had a good talk with one of my son's summer school teachers (1st period). His 2nd period teacher contacted me the second week. They both acknowledged that my son has a 504 Plan and they will implement the strategies and accommodations to help my son. Still have not heard back from the 3rd period summer school teacher ....
Even though I communicate with the teachers and other staff about my son's serious medical problems (ADHD, hypoglycemia, serious emotional trauma, and other medical issues), it seems as if the teachers basically just do whatever they want, like ignore my son's special needs, and ignore my son's 504 Plans, and ignore their duty as a public school teacher to help my son!
I filed another complaint with the California Department of Education. Today I am expecting a call from the Learning Director (another one of the summer school principals). I really believe that this school district is negligent, and not taking my son's condition seriously.
One of my son's summer school teachers would not allow him to use the bathroom. She has a very long list, and my son was on the bottom of the list. My son told the teacher that his 504 Plan allows him to use the bathroom when he needs to, but she insisted that he must wait!
Supervision at this school seems to be very shoddy, and not fair. My son is frequently harassed by other students. When my son reports the problems, he gets into trouble.
There is also a serious lack of communication between the various staff members. This is all very frustrating ....

susiestar

Roll With It
Time to climb the ladder. First start sending emails of summaries of every conversation you have with anyone at the school. Just a polite, even friendly reminder of the discussion where you outline what was said and agreed to (or not agreed to). If they call because something in the email is not correct, send another email with the corrections. Not to get in their faces, but to establish a paper trail.

Then start calling that person's boss. If it is the principal, go to the bored of Education and talk to the superintendent or the superintendent's secretary. In MOST school districts the superintendent's secretary is the person with the MOST power. She runs the superintendent's life. Make a friend of this person. Take her cookies or whatever as a thank you. Once you have contact make sure to send her a Christmas care (or if she is not Christian send a Happy Holidays card). Cultivate her. Your problems will then be a priority for the superintendent because the LAST thing most superintendents can handle is for their secretaries to be upset!!

Their is NO enforcement to make teachers/schools follow 504 plans. IEPs have legal consequences if they are not followed. There is almost no way to bring consequences if the 504 is not followed. If at all possible try to get him onto an IEP. MANY of us have had these problems with 504s. No matter what they tell you about a 504, you will not have great luck trying to enforce one.

If at all possible, carry a tape recorder in a pocket when you speak to anyone at the school. Make sure it is legal to record conversations in your state. Many states say that as long as one party is aware of the recording then it is legal to record.

BusynMember

Do you have an Advocate yet? I have never had luck dealing just with the school district. I'd climb above the superintendent. Did you call or just e-mail? Did they offer to help you? Right now you are on shaky ground. a 504 is not that potent. You need an IEP. The problem is ADHD is not seen as that serious. You need to have him re-evaluated by a private party to see if more is going on (it probably is). Then you have a firmer leg to stand on. Right now you can write all day, but you see it hasn't work. You need different players in your corner and more help and a more intensive evaluation.

V

vja4Him

Do you have an Advocate yet?

Yes, I have an advocate. She came out to our house and spoke with my son and I. She has many years experience dealing with these issues and is confident that my son will qualify for special education services under "Other Health Impaired." We have a date set, August 19th, to get the evaluation process started ....

So, we will wait and see what happens. And yes, there are other serious issues going on with my son, not just ADHD.

I have never had luck dealing just with the school district. I'd climb above the superintendent. Did you call or just e-mail? Did they offer to help you? Right now you are on shaky ground. a 504 is not that potent. You need an IEP. The problem is ADHD is not seen as that serious. You need to have him re-evaluated by a private party to see if more is going on (it probably is). Then you have a firmer leg to stand on. Right now you can write all day, but you see it hasn't work. You need different players in your corner and more help and a more intensive evaluation.

I sent a letter to the California Department of Education. Still have not heard back from anyone, and it's been around six weeks now. I have been in contact with one of the administrators who has been acting as a mediator. He even admitted to me on the phone yesterday that there is a lack of communication within his school district! He apologized for this, and seems to be concerned and want to help my son.

Again, we will wait and see what happens ....