School Para's and Daycare?

Discussion in 'Special Ed 101' started by jal, Jul 10, 2008.

  1. jal

    jal Member

    I posted in General and was also asked to post here:

    My son had a para in kindergarden and will again in first grade as it states in his IEP. It was not mentioned to us by the SD that it is possible to have the para follow the child to daycare. My difficult child for some reason is beginning to struggle in full time daycare since school is out. Just spoke to his daycare director and she mentioned that there is another daycare in the district that has a para provided by the SD for another child.

    Has anyone encountered this before?

    Am I too late in trying to get a para for my son through the SD for daycare during the summer time? Did this have to be written into the IEP beforehand and with school out can anything be done? I have the contact info for the Director of Pupil Services, but though I would inquire here first to see if any of you may have encountered this situation before.

  2. Sheila

    Sheila Moderator

    If you child has an IEP, as a full member of the IEP team, you can call an IEP meeting anytime you think it needs something added, modified, etc.

    Do it via a written letter and via certified mail. Address it to your District Special Education Director.
  3. jal

    jal Member

    Please keep your fingers crossed. I sent out an e-mail to the IEP team last Thur and the Dir of Pupil Services called that day to set the meeting for tomorrow. I went to a conference on explosive children and difficult child's school SW was there (she is on the team). I asked her about this and was told that there was one other instance that the school did this for a kid in a summer program and that we have a fair shot at getting this to happen. I could not believe they pulled the meeting together so quick.

    Wish us luck!