school supplies

klmno

What are high school aged kids using these days to carry their stuff in at school? Last year (8th grade), difficult child stopped using a backpack and had a large zip-up notebook that had inside pockets, and he sometimes used a draw-string type bag. What should I get him for finishing 9th grade?

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
LOL - I have seen everything from backpacks to tote bags. Messenger bags seem to be reasonably popular, since you can also fit a laptop in them.

Onyxx carries a HUGE purse-shaped tote bag... It is her purse and book bag...

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
K--

My daughter is so "cool" that she just stuffs all her class notes in her pockets...

Of course, she is failing, so I'm not sure that your son wants to be as "cool" as she is! LOL!

--DaisyFace

klmno

What's a messenger bag? difficult child will have a laptop issued from school- I'm assuming it will have a protective cover with it but it would be good if it fit into a big bag with his other stuff. Thanks for reminding me about the laptop because I had forgotten that he'll be carrying one of those too and he's not one for tugging around several things-

klmno

LOL! DF- yep I tthink I'll keep that idea to myself. I have a feeling my son will figure it out on his own.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Yup. I use a specially made backpack to haul around my laptop, my Kindle, and various other computer related "stuff".

The big thing with backpacks for kids is that they be adjusted right; otherwise they can cause back pain, etc.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Most kid-sized backpacks just aren't big enough for a normal laptop.

A messenger bag is a rectangular bag with a fastening flap on the front, and a shoulder strap. I have a couple of them.

Strangely enough, I do keep my laptop in a backpack. However... It was a freebie my Mom got from work, which is a technology company, and it was specifically designed for a laptop. Only issue is... I have a widescreen... So it barely fits! LOL... But it's great. My messenger bags don't have any padding. And as much of a klutz as I am...

Wish they would provide laptops for our kids. But then, they'd have to have 2,500 of them on hand for just the high school...

klmno

Ok- I'll see what I can find. Apparently, high schoolers here don't think back packs are cool anymore- or at least that was the word a few years ago. I thought I could go ahead and pick something as one of difficult child's small gifts and to save us time after he gets home before starting school. But now I'm second guessing that because I have no idea how many books he'll be carrying back and forth. Maybe I'll just tack that in with a gift certificate to Target so he can pick something out after starting school and getting a supply list.