School visits; initial plan is in place.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Wee difficult child visited school after the kids left yesterday. We met his teachers and paras, the principal, counselors, Occupational Therapist (OT), etc. Spent quite a bit of time in the building familiarizing him with it. He was pretty wild at first, but calmed quite a bit by the time we left. All in all, it went well.

Today, we went to school at 1:15, to see the bustle and meet his class. He chewed his bottom lip raw anticipating it. One of his classmates is a little girl we camp with (I hope that's a good thing - her parents might croak!) Today didn't go so hot. I hope its just because he knew I was around. We stayed about 90 minutes today. About half that time was good; the other half, not so much.

They have a good plan in place for him and three paras to shadow him from the time he hits the building to the time he's picked up. They made a photo album of all the people he will encounter through the day and sent it home. They really do seem to be trying. Its gonna be tough for him, though. The different manipulatives the class was using for math today really sent him for a loop. But, this is what we've got, so we're squeezing lemonade.

Fingers crossed for Monday. I won't be there, he'll go in the morning (his better time of day), and hopefully won't be so anxious.

He sees a new MD on Wednesday and I filled out the paperwork to go to Mayo today.

Fran

Former desparate mom
Sounds like you and the school are doing everything possible to help him adjust.
I always took difficult child to a new school a day early so he could become familiar. If he knew where his class was, the office, the restroom, the nurse's office, the cafeteria he would be less stressed on the first day. Meeting the teachers was a big help too.
I never thought of photo's. Excellent idea.

BestICan

This community rocks.
Wow, that sounds really positive!! I'm really happy the school is putting forth so much effort. Crossing fingers for a smooth transition for difficult child.

LittleDudesMom

Shari,

sounds like the school really understands the supports he needs both before school starts and while he's there! Positive thoughts being sent for a smooth transition.

Sharon

M

ML

This does sound positive. I will be praying for a successful transition. Love, ML

klmno

This sounds as good as one could hope for, Shari. I really like the idea of the photo album sent home. That shows some thought and effort, in my humble opinion. I hope he transitions well and calms down easier when it's his first real day.

susiestar

Roll With It
It sounds like this school is willing to work hard to help weegfg. Sending prayers for a smooth transition and a very positive experience.