School's asperger's assessment says no but psychiatrist's says yes?

buddy

Did the test you did give scoring instructions? The questions and or answers may be weighted. No matter where a child is assessed, a diagnosis CAN NOT per the dsm be given based on ONE meeting, one test, one impression etc. They must have evidence that the symptoms happen across settings, gather info from different situations, etc. (yes, I know many dont do that but it is what is supposed to be done even for qualification in the schools).

The school can't diagnose Aspergers. Now, they can gather information about symptoms which then can be used on the Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) checklist to see if they meet the educational criteria for Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD). Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD) is the only category in the schools, there is no Asperger's category. (yes it is discussed and people know that it is important in terms of once they are IN sp ed, programming and therapies etc...but in terms of qualification for sp ed it is not something that is allowed technically.)

I agree with the others, do not worry about this one form, it is one of many pieces of info. My son too ( obviously Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD)) has even had a university evaluation which THAT DAY made him not seem so Autism Spectrum Disorders (ASD)-like even though the standardized testing all came up smack dab AUTISTIC. (ados, cars, etc... just so weird).

In my world, some of the ways the "repetitive, restrictive interests" seem different from typical obsessions....One friend's daughter (a difficult child like kid, with adhd) is really into anime and will tell you all YOU want to know. She recognizes if you are not really interested, listens to your questions, stops when the discussion is done but COULD go on and on if people were interested. Now a school friend of Q, EVERYTHING is Japanese or Anime....she is going to win the lottery and move there, every mall in the country should have an anime store because of course they would make money and doesn't everyone want that kind of store? ALL food and restaurants should be Japanese, if you try to talk about math, it goes back to this, you try to talk about the weather, it goes back to this topic, etc. Not everyone is to that degree but the lack of sense that someone is tired of the topic or would like to switch topics is pretty common. (if they are talkers, now my son doesn't communicate as well as that so it would not be as noticable to some...but if asked what he likes, it is the same, he can tell you the day he started watching NASCAR, memorized all drivers and numbers the first day as a little tiny guy etc.... his interests have expanded and include now other sports, also presidential things and maps/locations....but the main thing is still NASCAR, and no way other people's interests will be included in a conversation IF he does talk about things). I had a fourth grade student who started writing Michael J. reports when in K! STill was the expert and talked on and on in grade 4. Not just a hobby. You can't have an opinion different from him about MJ at all. So that cut off line, is pretty subjective and includes other symptoms. I think being able to have a comfortable discussion that is not super one sided is a pretty big clue. But it is not the answer, because some kids dont talk and they still have rigid, fixed interests. (rubber bands, collecting things, etc....).

My point, dont get too hung up on one thing. Your gut is leading you to what will help your son and it DOES get confusing at times. He may be one of those "Pervasive Developmental Disorder (PDD)-not otherwise specified" kids....kids who have traits but just doesn't quite match all of the criteria, then again at different times in his life, symptoms may really interfere and he may hit smack dab in the criteria. Keep working on the underlying issues and getting him support.....auditory processing, attention, obsessions, mood, anxiety, etc..... follow your gut/heart. You are not alone here, it is really a challenge to get to the bottom of things.

i think buddy explained what i was trying to say much better than i could have--she really illustrated the "more" point that i was trying to get at....she compared/contrasted it well...it was an EXCELLENT example of what was in my head, but apparently didnt translate well to my fingertips :-D

Hello,
I'm new here and I don't have much to add, nor do I know much about your son. That said, I would err on the side of caution and go with the psychiatrist. Getting help for Aspergers's even if the child on has some tendencies certainly can't hurt, can it?

Wishing you the best on your journey through this.