Schools closed here--again tomorrow

Nancy

Our schools are closed due to the cold weather here today. It's currently -1 with a wind chill of -20 *

I feel so bad for the birds and squirrels. I've put food out by the snow is so cold they can't even stand on it to eat.

Nancy

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Nancy, it isn't that cold here but it's pretty darn chilly! Our high is supposed to be 16 * :smile: .

I'm sitting in my office with my Cuddle Duds on underneath my sweater, plus another sweater on top (3 layers) and I'm still freezing. Of course now I wish I'd left the water running in my faucets when I left the house- we had a pipe burst from the cold many years ago and I've never forgotten what a mess that was.

Suz

Kathy813

Staff member
Nancy ~ I thought only southern schools closed when it got too cold. I guess we are not such wimps after all.

:rofl:

Suz ~ I wear Cuddle Duds, too. I wear them all winter long. I swear we are twins.:grin:

~Kathy

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
It was 6 here today, supposed to be a high of 17 at noonish. Schools closed last week due to the cold. Funny, I don't remember school EVER closing due to excessive cold...it was winter, what did we expect? Massive snow, yes. Cold, no.

What are cuddle duds - are they the silk thermal undies?

stepmonster

It's -16° BEFORE windchill here and they didn't close schools!!! I can't believe my husband moved me to this frozen tundra. I think Alaska is warmer today!!!!

Nancy

I don't remember them ever closing schools for us in the cold either. I'm still sitting here in my soft furry robe and don't want to get dressed. Have to get moving though, taking husband to the airport for a week in Phoenix....at least he's smart.

Poor little fuzzbutt won't even go outside. I ask if she has to go out and she runs the other way.

Nancy

dreamer

the town north of me recorded minus 18 before windchill factor- they are 10 miles away from me, so I assume it is that cold here, too.
Many schools around me are closed, many becuz of burst water pipes or no heat in the buildings, some have school but no busses. Ours have school today but, our bus did not come and my car battery is dead as a doornail. I tried for an hour to call easy child in but the attendance line was busy the whole time, and then the voicemail for it could not take more calls. :-( Called the main office and they were refusing to accept call ins by phone, so it will be interesting to see what they end up doing? I heard tomorrow we are supposed to still be this cold BUT also get up to 6 inches of new snow! Then it is supposed to get a lil warmer till next weekend. BBBBbrrrrrr. Everything in my garage fridge froze rock solid. :-( including my coffee cream.

Fran

Former desparate mom
My babysis has decided Minnesota isn't the place she wants to be. LOL.
Her poor pooches, can't stand it outside to go potty. Their drool freezes before they get back in.
No one has been out of the house for days because it's so dangerously cold. Brrrr

dreamer

LOL my dog wanted so bad to ride to pick easy child up from work last nite, and even tho I warmed the car, he was shivering, but then he also hated the heat blwoing out of the vents.....he tried to climb out the window....and he was barking at me. when we got home the rest of the ntite he kept looking at me like I was crazy.

Wiped Out

Staff member
We don't have school here today-last time we closed for cold was in '94 when it was 28 below without windchill. I posted on the good morning thread I was shocked we closed because our policy is no closing unless windchill hits 50 below with wind chill and its only 31 below with wind chill! Whatever the reason I'll take the day off. I have homemade chicken vegetable soup in the crockpot (I made it on Sat. so it could cook today in the crockpot). I went back to sleep from 8:00-9:30. Not going to do a whole lot today! *

Kathy813

Staff member
Suz ~ Weren't you supposed to go to Hawaii on a business trip soon? Sounds like this would be a good time to go!

Don't forget that I am available to go with you on a consulting basis although I guess I shouldn't complain ~ our high today is a balmy 43 degrees.

~Kathy

Ephchap

The schools are closed here also. My car thermometer read -4 all the way into work.

Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Wish they would have closed my office today too. I didn't want to get out from under my warm snuggly covers.

Deb *

Sara PA

Just a bit of trivia: in Fairbanks, Alaska, when it hits -20, they don't let the kids go outside for recess. It's -10 in other parts of the state.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Kathy, the Hawaii trip isn't until April, unfortunately. There is talk that my boss might need to go :tears: to soothe ruffled feathers (the ruffling has nothing to do with me, thank goodness). No one is happy about it. I could use a *consultant* to work this out, though :cool: .

The good news about not going is that I tried on bathing suits the other day. No one should try on bathing suits in January/February. No one. :tongue:

Suz

mattsmom27

Can you believe it was -39 here with windchill and schools were open? easy child's father picked her up to drive her even though he lives on the other side of the city and i live 3 blocks from the school. difficult child's secretary (different school) was rude when I explained he wasn't coming in. He has to walk about 15-20 minutes each way and I don't have a car to drive him to and from. I couldn't believe she wasn't understanding that no way was he walking in about 40 below temps!!
BRR!!!!!!!!!! Stay warm everyone!

amy4129

Pittsburgh schools are closed and so are we. We are about an hour southwest of the city. Temp at 6 am was -3 and at 12noon was -1. The wind chill was -20. The boys and I are home watching movies and playing games....so far so good
Amy

rejectedmom

Burrrrrrrrr it is 8 here. I am freezing just letting the dog out. I stay in when it is this cold it really makes my joints ache. I do have to go out tomorrow though. I have a DR appointment and need to run errands. it is spossed to be in the teens then too. Gosh I hope my car starts! -RM