sciatica nerve pain relief

Sheila

Anybody know what type of exercise might relieve sciatica nerve pain. Or anything else.

I'm taking pain medications, but it's not cutting it.

I go for an MRI next week, but I need to do something now.

slsh

member since 1999
Sheila - It probably depends on which disk is causing the problem but one stretch I've found that works wonders is: Lie on your stomach and then gently push up the front have of your body, arching your back. Keep your hips on the bed/couch/floor. Hold just for a couple of seconds, then repeat.

When I blew my disk out, there was nothing that touched the pain - including morphine. Worse than childbirth in my humble opinion. I'd definitely let your doctor know that the medications aren't working.

eekysign

My stepmom's got it bad right now---she tried physical therapy, then some pain medications--Lyrica? Nothing worked.

She's getting injections of something (steroids?) now, into the area of the nerve, but it's too soon to see if it's better. I wish I know more to tell you. I'll tell her about that exercise, too.

jal

SLSH is right. Get on your stomach and prop up on your elbows first. If that is not painful then proceed to using your hands to push up gently. Sometime the fetal position works too. I had my first ruptured disc at 14 which I had removed. I have also proceeded to herniate 4 others in my back. PT and traction have always helped over a period of time. The cortisone shots hurt like h*ll, but never really helped me although I do know people it has worked for.

Here's to getting some relief...I feel your pain!

Sheila

Thanks, the exercise did help some.

I haven't been to the chiropractor yet. This came on just like my neck problem -- BAM!

I go for an MRI next week. I'm hoping the months of not being able to do anything has weakened my muscles and is causing this problem, and this can be handled by exercise or chiropractor.

I was just released by the doctor from my upper back surgery on the 3/31. I'm really not interested in another surgery. ACK!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Have you tried ICE? I know that helps for my mom sometimes. I'm having trouble with my right hip and someone told me it's likely sciatica as well. It's definitely a nerve in the wrong spot!

N

Nomad

We've been through all sorts of stuff with- husband lately.
I've ordered a lot of books on amazon.
I just spoke with- a neuro about the subject.
It seems the back and back surgery is very controversial.
Many believe there are multiple reasons for back pain.
Many feel that the muscles surrounding the spine are crucial to avoiding back pain. Also, that the cells need to be oxygenated.
My hairdresser has had horrible problems with sciatica.
She has done MUCH better in recent months, but losing weight, walking regularly, taking Naproxen as needed and wearing orthopedic shoes! YIKES! They are serioiusly homely shoes.
She is very skinny these days and looks great (with the exception of the shoes! LOL!)
She walks all over the place and is now doing the elliptical alots. Her figure is fantastic.
Recently, she started going to YOGA class.
First privately, then with a small group of friends. A semi-private class.
She also DUMPED her husband. Said he was causing her too much stress.
Her back is not perfect now...however...MUCH much better.