Screwed up at work. I am feeling like the biggest failure as a person.

I know from my own kids HS, you must show your dl before you are allowed in' then they take your picture and give you a sticker of you picture to wear while you walk 10 feet to the office, then you fill out a card with the reason you are picking your kid up, THEN the kid swipes his school id, then you can leave. It's such pain because there is usually a line to do all this. I'm thinking this is all over the US? Maybe not in CA, maybe they're more laid back.

Kathy813

Staff member
What kind of school is this? Public schools would never allow anyone to leave based on a phone call? A bad guy can call and pick up your kid???? Seriously! Not only do you have to come in and sign the child out, but you have to show ID-even if they know who you are and you're there every day. Some people have custody issues, imagine HS age kids calling the school and leaving? Something doesn't sound right about this.

Actually, that is how my high school does it, too. Either the parent comes in and signs out the student or the student brings a note and the attendance clerk calls the parent to verify the note so the student can leave. Don't forget, a lot of high school students drive themselves to school. What would happen to the cars if someone had to come pick them up in person?

We do have notes in the computer on the students that have custody issues about who is allowed to check them out or which parent/guardian can give permission for them to leave.

~Kathy

InsaneCdn

We're in the middle. Elementary school... parent in person, please. At least until grade 7, where it depends on the principal and the neighborhood. For younger kids, it's definitely appropriate to be very cautious.

HS? They don't even need a note. But... every absence (i.e. missed class) results in a call home, if the absence has not been pre-cleared to the attendence desk by a parent/guardian... and then you have 24 hours (weekends don't count) to call in and clear it, IF it is "approved". They track the numbers being called from - and you either talk in person or leave a voicemail and they call back. Not too bad for convenience.

Most of our HS kids provide their own transportation (public bus, bike, walk, drive). A small proportion get a ride with parents - for example, that kid who plays Tuba... well, they won't even LET him on the city bus at "rush hour" because that doggone tuba takes too much room...

Californiablonde

Yep notes are acceptable too. If we get a note or a phone call then the student gets to meet the parent outside in the parking lot, or if they drive they can leave on their own. At least that's the way it is in our district. I have no idea about other high schools. For instance I don't know if my daughter's school would even allow notes for her to leave. Usually if she has an appointment during school my mom goes in and signs her out. It's just easier for us that way.