Seeing Signs Of Depression In difficult child

Bunny

I've noticed it since the episode that sent him to psyche ER a few weeks ago. husband has noticed it, too, and if husband has noticed it must be pretty obvious because he never notices anything! I asked husband last night if he thought the depression was there before the ER visit, or if it was there before that, but I just never noticed it because it was not top priority. husband thinks it's since the ER and he losing of privileges.

He has an appointment with the psychiatrist, but that's not until the third week of May. I'm going to call him today to see what he says.

BusynMember

Is he on new medications? The very first thing I look at is medications because many, that were supposed to make me feel more stable or better, actually reacted on me in a way that caused a deep, lethargic depression. Beware: psychiatrists tend to adematly refuse to consider the drugs may be making somebody worse. Often they suggest raising the dose. been there done that.

Bunny

No, he's not on any new medications. We upped his dose of risperdal back in December, but that's the only medication tweaking we've done.

InsaneCdn

JMO - but if there's no new triggers etc., then I'd be suspecting the depression is secondary - and there's another missing diagnosis somewhere. Of course, the psychiatrists and tdocs don't "see" that and you're "just" a parent...
But, not having the true picture means we can't give them what they need, and it does bring on depression.

Bunny

I called the psychiatrist, but I forgot that he would be out of the office this week. I left a message to speak to him on Monday when he returns to the office.

I did get a name of therapist that someone I know uses for two of her kids. I called her this afternoon, and of course, she called back whe I went to pick easy child up from spots camp, but in the message she left she said she would try to call me back tonight.

TerryJ2

Good. I'm glad you got the name of a therapist.
And that you have a call into the psychiatrist.
I agree with-Insane, it sounds like a secondary thing that needs to be looked into.

buddy

It would make sense that he might get depressed after that if this I'd the first he is truly connecting consequences with his behavior, or on the other hand if he is not and as you've stated before, he feels less than and persecuted...that the psychiatric hospital in his mind is more "proof" ......

Reality i suppose is that it is a combination of everything...including the underlying wiring condition, whatever that may be.

Sure is good you found another therapist. I hope difficult child is willing to talk to him. Q loved having someone to tell his worries to.

Bunny

I do think that part of it is that he feels persecuted and that we're trying to punish him in some way for his behavior like he's never been punished before. I know that he is very, very sad over being told that he will be seeing a new therapist. He feels like he's losing a friend, and while I understand that and acknowledge that his feelings are valid, we've also stood our ground about it.

I did finally get to speak to the new therapist last night. She sounds very nice. husband and I are going to speak to him about it tonight after husband gets home.

InsaneCdn

Wasn't the previous therapist a "he"? and you're switching a TEEN guy to a "she" therapist?
That sure wouldn't fly with my difficult child.
Might be an additional complicating factor.