Seen psychiatrist this morning....

neednewtechnique

We had an appointment this morning with difficult child's psychiatrist, things went well, I think.

We decided that she will discontinue the Concerta, and with regular monitoring, we will try to start off next school year without the stimulants, and if medications become necessary again, she would like to try the Straterra instead, as it is NON stimulant. FINALLY things are working like we wanted. For the time being, she will continue the Lexapro and the Clonodine, but I am hoping that if she continues to sleep well, we can kill the Clonodine soon too, maybe in August when she goes back to the doctor.

Don't get me wrong, things can still get difficult at times, but she is MUCH easier to deal with when the stimulants are gone... She borders on typical teen behavior about 50% of the time, and is only difficult child-ish the other 50% of the time. Whereas before, it was about 20% typical teen and about 80% difficult child...

G

guest3

Clonodine, I have heard only of this on the boards, what family of drugs is it from>?

Glad to hear some good news about positive progress

<<<HUGS>>>

smallworld

Clonidine is a blood pressure medication used off-label to help with sleep. It is also used off-label to treat ADHD if stimulants don't have the desired effect.

neednewtechnique

Yes, she takes it to help with sleep.

Don't get me wrong, even 50/50 is still more difficult child than I know how to handle most of the time, but it is certainly a bit of an improvement.