Self Crust Pumpkin Pie

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I knew someone years back who made an incredible pumpkin flan--basically spiced pumpkin custard topped with 'brulee''.

I was a bit confused when she pulled out a mini blowtorch to caramelize the sugar on top, but wow was it good.

I've looked since then for an equivalent recipe and have had no luck.

witzend

I tried this with half white sugar/half splenda. It didn't seem sweet enough to me. I might try broulee'ing the top? I don't know if I can figure that out. I already have simple syrup from my mojito's this summer.

M

ML

Witz, I plan to fix it for Thanksgiving. Thanks for the tip about not being sweet enough. I will try 1/4 sugar for splenda and let you know.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
For Janet:

Crème brûlée usually is served in individual ramekins. Discs of caramel may be prepared separately and put on top just before serving, or the caramel may be formed directly on top of the custard, immediately before serving. To do this, sugar is sprinkled onto the custard, then carmelized under a broiler or with a butane torch (or similar) or by flambéing a hard liquor on it.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I am making this pie tonight - it's in the oven now. I can't wait to see how it comes out!!! I'm even making home made whipped cream for the topping.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
It was delicious.

I substituted 1/2 the sugar with splenda and I used one egg and one egg white instead of the fake eggs (because I didn't have any). I also only happened to have the pumpkin pack that easy child bought with the spices in it already, so I used that. I had to let it bake a bit longer, I don't like my pie mushy or too wet. I made homemade whipped cream and that was a great topper!

It tasted fantastic! I cannot say that it was self-crusting, however. It never had a crust. So, I would call it a crustless pie instead. I loved it, difficult child loved it. H complained there was no crust and that he doesn't like my new way of cooking and baking! Hhaah - I made chicken tonight and he misses the breading. Oh well. Maybe when he's 75 and hasn't had a heart attack, he will thank me?

M

ML

You're a terrific wife! Thanks for letting me know this was good. I ran out to buy powdered milk because I didn't have any. Happy/Healthy Holiday :)