"Semi Formal" Teen Boy ??

DDD

A well intentioned Grandmother is having a Sweet Sixteen Party next week for her granddaughter who is a social outsider. For the girls sake I am hoping that it turns out to be a lovely occasion, although I fear the local yokels may not show up.

Anyway, do any of you have older teen boys who have gone "semi formal" lately. Fashion changes and I am assuming difficult child should wear a suit and not just dress pants, dress shirt and tie. husband is taking him out of town to get him outfitted but I'd like a little input. Seems like vests are
not shown often anymore....are they out?

difficult child is a nice looking kid and looks great dressed up. Because he is also a social outsider, however, I want to make sure he is appropriate. My thought is, lol, that he can keep his jacket in the backseat of the car and
if the boys going in are only in shirts/ties then the jacket can stay there.
DDD

meowbunny

Sports jacket and nice slacks might work, too. Is there any other boy attending that you can ask the parents what he's wearing? It seems like fashion is so different from one area to the next.

In the Northwest, a sports jacket and pressed (yes, really and truly ironed with a crease) is the look for semi-formal private parties. My friend's son in San Francisco always wore a suit and tie. Around here in Central Florida, it seems to be sports coat and slacks (but this is a retirement community with few boys although we do have a very good high school). Heck, I've even seen a shirt with tie and jeans be deemed appropriate.

Look at the super-sweet 16 parties on MTV. The "main players" are dressed up but most of the kids who are invited are much more casual unless the hostess has been very specific about what is to be worn.

DDD

Meow, :surprise: my first thought when he got the invitation (formal invitation with an embossed girl in a ballgown) was .... I bet that sweet Grandma has never seen how vulgar the TV Sweet Sixteen shows can be.

I hope it is "lovely" and "fun" and "an evening to remember" for the family. No, difficult child does not have any friends. He follows the beat of a different drummer with his Aspergers. Geez, I hope he doesn't dance to "that" beat! :laughing: DDD

Ephchap

My boys haven't been teens in a while, but two of my nephews just went to a "semi formal" dance at school in Indiana, and they were only in dress pants, shirt and tie.

I think here for our Homecoming dance, most boys wear a suit or at least a sport jacket, but some come only in shirt and tie also, and that's considered a semi-formal dance.

Awww, I hope difficult child has fun. Let us know how it goes !

Hugs,
Deb

everywoman

A pair of khakis, a white or blue shirt and tie, and a navy blazer is the ticket. That classic look can so anywhere.

meowbunny

DDD, the other boy doesn't have to be a "friend," just someone he knows that has also been invited.

Actually, I've watched many of the Sweet 16 shows on MTV and really didn't find them all that vulgar. The kids were usually shown as all-out brats and some of the dresses for the girls were very inappropriate and, obviously, the gifts and extravagance of the parties were over the top, but they do give a good idea of what kids will wear at the parties.

Strangely, I'd worry about him being overdressed than under. It is hard to disguise suit pants as dress slacks; the material, cut is just different enough to be able to tell the difference, so, just taking off the jacket doesn't change the formality of the pants.

There are times that being on the autistic spectrum has advantages -- he probably won't notice if his clothing is correct and would probably miss most (if not all) of the comments made if he was inappropriate.

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
For "semi formal" around here the boys wear khakis (or dress slacks), shirt and tie.

At the prom they can wear a suit or a tux.

Suz

Star*

call 911........call 911
Semi-formal here - means - not a tuxedo - but dress slacks - and a pressed shirt ( no Izod or short sleve polos) and a jacket and tie. Business attire if you will.

I would call the invitee and ask what their definition of semi-formal is - I believe it's a grandmas way of saying - don't come dressed like a slacker - let's all be nice young people. in my humble opinion

Hugs
Star

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Personally, I think Grandma as the right idea. lol If you don't want grunge or the street corner look make the party semi - formal. Smart lady.

If you're really iffy, give Grandma a call and see what's she's expecting as semi - formal attire.

I hope the party turns out to be alot of fun.

Hugs

trinityroyal

Around here, semi-formal means a dark suit with white dress shirt (with french cuffs and cufflinks), and a tie, and cocktail suits or "fancy" knee-length dresses for ladies. Other places, I have seen semi-formal mean a sport coat with a t-shirt and jeans, for both men and women. Hard to tell which extreme is meant.

I agree with Lisa. I would phone the Grandmother and ask her what sort of dress she is expecting.

What a lovely idea.

DDD

difficult child is one HAPPY camper after shopping with husband. They went out of town together and came back with grins from ear to ear. difficult child has his "first suit bag" , lol. They bought an awesome navy blazer, grey slacks
and appropriate tie plus a new dress shirt (which he didn't need). He gave me a "fashion show" and it was CUTE. I don't know if you can picture this but he came strolling into the living room looking like a GQ
model. Gorgeous. Then..lol..he said "I'll be back in a minute" and he runs out of the room breaks into loud gales of laughter and giggles.
Then....in about five minutes....he comes back looking all sophisticated.

Without exaggeration, he "kept practicing" looking grown up and then
would catch a glimpse of himself in the mirror and get the giggles.

Fingers crossed that Saturday he can "act cool"..lol. DDD

everywoman

How precious is that! I hope he can be cool, too. But of course, you and I know even if he's not, he'll think he was! Too cute. Please post a picture of his dressed to the nines!