Sensitive health question-need guesses!

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
This is sort of sensitive but I don't see my Dr till next Tuesday.

I have pain, like a dull ache just above my bladder area and it also twinges sharp just before peeing. I have some relief after I pee but then there is a gradual build up of discomfort.

Now the worst is that the other night when H and I were getting 'busy', horrible sharp shooting pains inside at that exact location! Not way up high or low but just above the area where I guess my bladder to be.

Last month when I had my physical, the urinalysis came back with traces of blood, but the nurse assumed it was likely my period starting since I was due soon. Well turns out I didn't get my period for another 10 days. Now I am wondering what that was all about.

There is no sense of urgency before or pain while peeing.

Any guesses? I feel silly asking, but I just don't need any more health issues right now.

busywend

Jo - no real guesses. Although maybe your bladder is heading south. That happens after a few babies ya know. I know someone that actually touched theirs it was so low! Yikes!

DammitJanet

bladder pain is a ...well..pain. I started getting it not long after my hysterectomy but sex had become uncomfortable for me for years anyway. Unfortunately, all things related in that area now hurt. Right now I think I have a bladder infection but since everything else is acting up, its taking a back seat until I can actually see a real doctor...lol.

trinityroyal

Jo, have you ever been checked for fibroids? I think about this, especially because of the sharp pains during...um..."business". I used to have this sort of pain before my hysterectomy, as there was a cluster of fibroids right where the uterine wall touched the bladder wall, low enough to be affected by "business".

In any case, sorry you're hurting and hope you find answers soon.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Wendy, I was so happy to read your post - NOT. LOL. I am praying it's not that, but there is a part of me that thinks all of the symptoms are pointing to bladder issues rather than uterine...which is better? I had that ablation of the uterine lining last year and am wondering if any of this is related to that. I know a few others here have had that procedure but never heard of this being a result. I would be happy to give up my uterus if that's the problem. My bladder, not so much.

Thanks ladies, I'm hoping someone will come by with other ideas. Can't wait till Tuesday!

Marguerite

I think you need to go back to your doctor and discuss this in the same detail.

I've had a range of urinrytact problems over the year and I recognise the symptoms you describe as probably (but not necessarily) bladder. When I had a uterine infection (after easy child 2/difficult child 2 was born) I had a similar discomfort/heavy feeling before peeing, when it was uterine. A full bladder also presses on a sore uterus. However, blood in the urine (you did do it mid-stream, didn't you? If you didn't, then try to do all future urine tests mid-stream) is not a good sign. Your body conserves blood, your kidney's glomerulus is designed to ensure blood cells and protein do not get through. Blood can also come form the lining of the bladder and urethra too, the most common source of blood in the urine (and protein). A Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) that progresses will cause the urethra and then the bladder wall, to bleed. But if blood is coming from an inflamed kidney, that is not good. But you would be feeling kidney pain if that was the source.

The most likely problem I think, is some sort of polyp or similar inside the bladder. These things happen fairly frequently, they are generally benign but a nuisance and can be easily removed without opening you up, if the doctor feels it's necessary. But there are other possibilities and frankly, you need more tests. I suspect your doctor will want to repeat the pathology and with your symptoms, may decide to send you for an ultrasound of the abdomen to check things out in general. Again - non-invasive.

There are all sorts of things you can do fairly simply to make yourself feel better, depending on what the doctor diagnoses. Ask your doctor if it's OK for you to take cranberry capsules regularly. They can help produce a healthy bladder lining - my urologist prescribed them for me. There is another trick you can do if you get frequent bladder infections - again, a bladder clinic put me onto it. You take urinary alkaliniser for two weeks, daily (monitor urine pH yourself to make sure you keep the pH no higher than 7, no lower than 6). Then for two weeks you take Vitamin C to acidify your urine a little. Cycle this every two weeks (providing you're not having to deal with active infection). What happens, is any residual bugs in your body acclimatise to the pH you set for two weeks, then when you suddenly shift the pH and keep it different, it knocks off a lot of bugs. The ones left adapt - then two weeks later, you switch gain and knock off a few more. Meanwhile your own body defences are also in there sluing away on your behalf. Talk to your doctor before trying this in your case, but make sure you tell him that this advice came from a Sydney bladder clinic, endorsed by a urologist.

Marg

jal

Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) - urinary tract infection. Traces of blood can show up in a urine sample when you have one. I can't believe the nurse blamed it on your period.

Or a bladder infection. I would get into the doctor immediately. Left untreated it can cause sepsis.

witzend

It sounds as though you have a kidney infection brought on by an untreated bladder infection. You need to have it treated.

I wonder if a harmless "test" would be to get some azo-standard at the drug store--used to be prescription pyridium in 200 mg. tablets. I don't know what the amount is in the azo, but personally, I would take 200 mg. and see what happens. Will turn your pee orange, but I'm thinking it will stop the pain if the issue is bladder. It was always magic relief for me. If no change in the pain, then I'm guessing that would likely point in a direction other than bladder. Now, I'm well aware that all this drug does is stop the pain. One could even say it masks the pain. I've only used it in conjunction with an antibiotic to help my symptoms while the antibiotic is doing its job. I've also used it to bridge the gap until I could get my antibiotic. I've not had bladder issues for some time (fortunately), but I remember the doctor telling me that it was okay to use the pyridium before I got in to get the culture, that it would not interfere with the culture in any way. I'm not trying to "play" doctor here. In your case, I'd only do it for about a 24 hour experiment to see if it makes a difference in your symptoms. I wouldn't do it at all if you can get in to see the doctor pronto. Next Tuesday is too long to wait, in my opinion, unless you have absolutely no choice.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Thanks EB. I have some of the Azo at home (difficult child uses it). Maybe just as a test I will take it today and see if that relieves any of the symptoms.

I don't think I am dealing with an ordinary Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) because there is no urgency, pain or dark coloration of my urine. Everything in that regard is normal. It's this nagging dull pain up above my pubic bone, where I perceive my bladder to be.

And then, of course, there is the pain during sexual activity. I've had Urinary Tract Infection (UTI)'s and never had that pain in conjunction with a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) so at this point, I'm sort of ruling out a simple Urinary Tract Infection (UTI).

If anything, I am thinking along the lines of some kind of inflammation of the uterus or bladder, which would explain the pressure (bloating of the area) I feel and the intense pain. Thanks again.

I THINK there may be different kinds of azo. I'd check what you have to be sure the active ingredient is the pyridium. I don't remember the generic name--just recognize it when I see it. You could ask the pharmacist or check online, just to be sure you know what you've got.

graceupongrace

I have pain, like a dull ache just above my bladder area and it also twinges sharp just before peeing. I have some relief after I pee but then there is a gradual build up of discomfort.

I had some similar symptoms several years ago, and it turned out to be a prolapsed urethra. Estrogen cream provided some immediate relief, and it ultimately resolved itself. I still get occasional twinges, but kegel exercises help.

Good thing you're having the doctor check it out!

Estherfromjerusalem

Jo, I had very similar symptoms, they did an ultra-sound of my kidneys and it turned out I had a kidney stone. I had no pain at all in the kidneys. I'm still dealing with it at the moment.

Not nice. I wish you to be healthy.

Love, Esther

Marguerite

Be careful doing anything that will mask symptoms; I'd be calling the doctor and asking if you can be seen as a matter of urgency, in case (despite all appearances) there is an infection component to this.

The nurse's response to the blood in the urine - I agree, very wrong. But it happens. I remember an incident years ago, about a year after I'd had surgery on my kidney to fix a congenital problem which was complicating recovery from infection - I was getting so many recurring UTIs that from onset of an attack to passing blood and pieces of skin (shed from the bladder wall and urethra lining) was 15 minutes. I finally got to the doctor where they did an on-site mid-stream urine specimen, and I was very careful - I washed the area, I made sue I took a mid-stream specimen, the whole thing - and the pathology people tossed it out because it as contaminated with blood and skin; was I having a period? Idiots - it was the "contamination" that we wanted analysed! Then they came after me to pay the bill. I was a kid then, I didn't know how to fight them. I should have.

Was the nurse who discarded the sample, merely someone in the doctor's office doing a dip stick test on it? Or did the specimen get properly analysed?

Call the surgery, explain that this could be an infection but it's behaving oddly, and you don't want to take risks with possible renal problems. Ask them if there is someone else they could send you to for an urgent quick assessment, who would then liaise with your regular doctor. That might hurry them up to fit you in.

Marg

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
Be careful doing anything that will mask symptoms; I'd be calling the doctor and asking if you can be seen as a matter of urgency, in case (despite all appearances) there is an infection component to this.

Jo, I completely agree with Marg. We aren't docs, we are only guessing. Please don't self-treat. Call your doctor to see if they can fit you in on Friday.

Suz

I wouldn't do it at all if you can get in to see the doctor pronto. Next Tuesday is too long to wait, in my opinion, unless you have absolutely no choice.

Yes, the most important thing is to get to the doctor. I'm not advocating self-diagnosis or self-treatment. I'm not understanding why the office isn't getting you in right away. If you have no choice but to wait though--for whatever reason--I stand by my logic that, while you wait, you might as well do something that could give the doctor more information in order to help him/her diagnose you. Azo is simply a pain medication and won't "treat" whatever is wrong. Definitely not a substitute for a doctor visit. I guess you could think of it as the bladder equivalent of advil or aleve, which also were "prescription only" ingredients not so long ago. They cut the dosage and made them OTC items.

I, too, hope you can get into the doctor's office Friday. If they're going to make you wait, though, maybe they can give you some suggestions on what to do in the meantime? Run the azo idea by them.

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
Thanks again for all the great advice. I was hoping to wait until Tues so I could see my gumi but today I am going to call my reg dr and try to at least have a urinalysis done at her office. Marg, no, the test they did last month was not sent to a lab. Today there is more pain and the added sense of urgency.

Thanks again.

At the risk of going out on another limb, I would suggest that you REQUEST the sample be sent to a lab to be cultured--whether the dipstick shows anything or not. I've "been there" on this one, and my experience is that they don't always send it off, especially if they find something to treat. Problem is that they don't know what the specific bacteria is, and that can cause a delay in getting you better. If you then don't get well with their "best guess" on appropriate antibiotic, you are back to the beginning. At one time, I had to be on two antibiotics simultaneously in order to get well, because the culture showed that my personal "germs" weren't in the same "family" at all.

Good luck today! Getting a culture sent off before the weekend should help you a lot. Maybe by Tuesday you will have some clear and specific answers.