Sensory Integration Disorder (SID)/Spatial Issues and Dairy Free

tab346

<span style='font-size: 12'><span style='font-family: Arial'><span style='font-size: 20'><span style='font-size: 16'><span style='font-size: 12'><span style='font-size: 9'><span style='font-family: Helvetica'>The Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) is really a struggle for me. I'm just learning all of these things and the only thing that I have in place so far is the chewing necklaces. I ordered them last week and got them the other day. They like to chew on them, but they get stuck in their hair and the pinch their skin. My son wants it but cries when he puts it on. They were expensive, but I need to find something else for him. He chews his shirts so bad that there are no prints left on his pajama tops. My daughter chews her hair, clothes, glue, pencils, etc., so she must have something at all times. I'm just looking into the jumnping, swinging thing. I do notice that my daughter stims big time when she is swinging. I guess I could turn the basement into an indoor gym for them. My son loves to bounce on things. I've been trying to find a litle trampoline that he will not get hurt on. I also ordered the weighted neck wraps for them. They will be here on Tuesday. Has anyone used them, do they work? I can use all the information I can get about this.

One thing that I didn't mention with my daughter. Her Occupational Therapist (OT) enlightened me about her joints. She said that her joints are very loose that because of that she doesn't know where her body is in her space. That's why she struggles with spatial issues. I never knew that. After 4+ years of Occupational Therapist (OT), this girl is the first person that has ever told me that and it makes so much sense.

Today, I started trying to buy things in the grocery store to take them off of dairy. This is our first step into the gluten/casein free diet. I got the soy milk and the soy butter, but couldn't find any kind of cheese products for them. Anyone up on dairy replacement? I honestly don't know if we can afford the gluten-free, casein-free diet. That stuff is so expensive.</span> </span></span></span></span></span></span>

Josie

My 2 girls and I are dairy free. One of them is also soy free so I don't buy that either. Personally, I prefer to go mostly without "fake" milk products so I don't buy cheese replacements. Some people use ghee which is butter with the milk solids (casein and probably lactose, I'm not sure) removed. My daughter's reaction to milk is so extreme that I am afraid to use ghee, thinking some of the casein might remain.

I use almond milk or coconut milk as a replacement for milk when cooking. I also buy DariFree, a powedered milk replacement product. I have made ice cream and hot chocolate from this that actually tastes good.

You are right that the dairy free substitutes are more expensive. You can find a different way of eating that doesn't rely so much on the substitutes and minimize the cost.

Good luck! For us, the girlfriend/CF diet has been a miracle.

Jena

Hi,

If you don't mind me asking what does dairy have to do with it all? I've never heard that one before yet I"m also new here. My little one has multiple things going on, i'd love to try something besides lowering her sugar intake.

thanks,
Jen

tiredmommy

Tab & Jen,
FOP is our resident expert on girlfriend/cf. I'm glad she saw this post! I, too, can attest to food allergies affecting my child's behavior. We were fortunate, though, that our treatment plan has left her only borderline allergic to soy at this time. She had a reaction to every allergen tested in the beginning. You can learn a bit more about the girlfriend/cf diet by taking a look at our Natural Treatments forum!

SRL

Addressing Sensory Integration Disorder (SID) is a learning process that takes time and trial and error. Results will be best if it's a coordinated effort between home, school, and a private therapist. If you haven't read the book "The Out of Sync Child" by Carol Kranowitz you'll want to get a copy. Go slowly with changes (one at a time) and keep a log if you need to because the very same stimuli that helps one child can make another worse. What you'll be shooting for is the right type stimuli at the right time in the right amount.

Whenever possible, I looked for alternatives to the Occupational Therapist (OT) supply catalogue stuff because it's so pricey or at least a cheap alternative to trial so I didn't have to fork out for something that didn't work. Sometimes we went with it though--ie my husband made a platform therapy swing but bought the rotator to hook into the ceiling. I did buy a weighted blanket and it worked well, but my kiddo wouldn't have worn a weighted anything because he would have stood out from other kids.

I think I've seen a small trampoline that's enclosed at Sam's. We used a plain ol' cheapie and no one got hurt but they liked jumping on beds a lot better. We put an old boxspring and mattress on the floor in difficult child's room and we turned a deaf ear when they were jumping on the beds. IKEA makes a great line of play furniture that you might want to check out.

You might want to check out Non-verbal Learning Disorder if you're not aware of it. Kids with NLD often have pronounced spatial problems along with the cluster of problems you're describing. Social problems don't always become apparent in younger years.

susiestar

Roll With It
My youngest was allergic/intolerant/whatever to milk. He would get really red cheeks that were rough textured, his behavior swung wildly and he was miserably itchy when he had ANY dairy.

We used Silk, or the WalMart version when it came out. We also used Tofutti cream cheese and Tofutti ice cream sandwiches. We ALL thought the tofutti tasted better!! I had to hide the ice cream bars because my other 2 would binge on them if they found them!!

It was a bit harder for us. My other two had no dairy reactions, and pizza was one of the things difficult child would eat that had protein (that wasn't pure sugar from Grandpa!). So thank you wanted what the big kids had. We would get plain breadsticks when we ordered a pizza. thank you ate those with Tofutti cream cheese and pepperoni for a LONG time.

He finally got to a point he can tolerate dairy, but he still prefers to drink soymilk and have it on cereal. And I like to cook with it - makes things more tender.

whole foods or a local health food store will have Tofutti products. Tofutti also makes other "cheeses", check their website.

I know that it is hard and more expensive, but was well worth it to us. If you have seen an allergist, call them and ask if they have any recommendations for the dairy free diet. We got several cookbooks from the allergist for free.

Susie