Sensory issues and the dentist

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Wee just can not tolerate a lot of smells and textures, so getting him to brush his teeth is a challenge, but we do ok. We use a rinse instead of toothpaste, and so far, he has not had any additional cavities.

(about 3 years ago, in the span of about 9 months between dental checkups, 8 of his teeth literally rotted out of his head. They were so severe they had to do root canals and crowns on 5; they were able to fill the other 3. I think it was likely medication related but I really don't know)

He had a checkup yesterday and has lost part of one filling and broken a tooth (A filled one). The broken one has to come out. The filling can be repaired, but even cleaning his teeth is a struggle for them, so they think he'll have to be knocked out to do the other work.

How does anyone else handle the dentist?

N

nandz

My difficult child also has sensory issues. Before medications, they had to sedate him to do any sort of dental work, including cleaning teeth. Thankfully, he never has had any cavities. Now that he is on medications, he does not need to be sedated because he is much calmer. Sounds like they may have to sedate him to do the work that needs to be done. Good luck!

gcvmom

Here we go again!
My difficult child 1 gets very anxious at the dentist and they do give him the N2O gas. It helps a lot. Although, this last time, I think it disinhibited him a little too much, because the dentist didn't seem too thrilled with him after he'd finished with three fillings that day.

I'd opt for the sedation if you can swing it for your difficult child.

I have a friend whose autistic daughter actually goes in to the children's hospital to have her teeth cleaned under sedation. Apparently her insurance covers it because of the diagnosis.

DammitJanet

When Jamie was younger they had to give him chloral hydrate. Dont know if they do that anymore or not. It made him loopier than a little drunken soldier...lol.

SRL

A pediatric dentist with gas capabilities, as the others have said.

I have one of those pricey SonicCare toothbrushes and it has a massage feature that might be more tolerable than regular brushing. I about choked paying $100 for a toothbrush but it's saved me from having to go in for extra cleanings.

tictoc

Go for the gas. difficult child had four teeth pulled last summer. Would have been a nightmare without the gas. But, he LOVED the gas. As we were leaving, he actually said, "When can I do that again?"