Serious question, serious issue.

I know that not all of you ladies/gents can help me, but I am willing to bet that some of you can.

I recall that a few of you, at least, work from home. You are who I am talking to. Here is my sitch. I am still way too sick to work, not sick enough to get disability or SSI, and my unemployment runs out very soon. I am very intelligent, computer savvy, but physically limited.

I know that any ad I see for "work from home" is a bunch of hogwash. I wonder is there any actual legitimate way that I can work from home, online, that I can generate an income? Even for a little while? What is it that you ladies/gents do? Is it something that you would be willing to share? Teach? I am extremely desperate.

Thank you all in advance for any help you can give me. Bless you all.

DammitJanet

If you have a high speed internet connect there are things you can do. There is an agency called willow that I know is reputable because I know someone who works for a company that utilizes their company. Do a google for willow. Now willow does cost an upfront fee to get started but it is for setting up.

It is call center work from home. You make like 10 bucks an hour doing call center work from home on contracts that you set up for the hours that you pick. So say you decide that 9 to midnite is your best hours...you pick those hours to work. Or say you want to work only during the school day....pick those hours. Whatever works for you.

This is one program that I know works because I know a lady who works at a AAA call center and they use the willow program when the regular workers get overrun.

AllStressedOut

Many temp for hire agencies have data entry positions that work from home. You get typed for the amount of data you enter, not hours worked, so if you're a fast typer, its good pay.

I would check with Manpower or Snelling if either are in your area. If neither are, find a temp agency and give them a call. Many times they ask that you test for your abilities first, but if you score high, they send you this type of work. Also, many temp agencies give benefits once you work 40 hours for them.

Good Luck!

TerryJ2

There are biz web sites where you can post your resume and pay a small fee to be listed as a freelance editor or artist. I'm sure there are other things you can do from home, as well.
One of my s-i-l's does telemarketing from home.

I hope those ideas help.

slsh

member since 1999
I do medical transcription from home, FT, benefits, the whole nine yards. Learned basic terminology doing medical billing in the days before computers, honed it to my speciality (cardiology) just by working for a small practice many years ago. When the financial situation got dicey here two years ago, I just started applying to various companies - a lot of them have competancy tests on their websites.

You seem to have an excellent grasp of written English. in my humble opinion, that's a *huge* skill. If you're not into medical transcription, you could certainly look into doing secretarial type work - resumes, other transcription, professional writing, etc. When I moved to IL and was still working for the docs in WA, I had to call around to get a dialup service with FTP space - my provider actually called *me* back to see if I would type up some procedure manuals for them, LOL.

http://www.mtjobs.com will give you an idea of what's out there MT-wise.

USAjobs has a huge listing of data entry type positions. They may not say you work from home, you have to ask. You have to apply, make the cut, then get interviewed to get to the point where you can ask.

Even if you don't think you'd like to do it, apply anyway. Great practice for a resume and a chance to get your resume up to snuff for when the perfect position becomes available.

If you get a work from home positions, they'll set you up with a home office to cover all the needs.

Kathy813

Staff member
BBK,

Clark Howard, a local consumer reporter who has his own syndicated radio show, talked about this one day last spring when I happened to be listening. I went to his website and found this:
Apr 02, 2007 -- Work from home with a legitimate company
We have seen a lot of inquiries about “working from home” on Clark’s Web site. Over the years, this has been a tough topic for Clark to bring up because there are so many work-at-home scams. He doesn’t want you to get taken. The good news is that there are now legitimate potential opportunities for working at home. We have them list on our work-at-home page. The area with the most activity seems to be “virtual call centers.” It’s being referred to as “insourcing,” which allows people in the States to act as customer service agents and technical support agents from the comfort of their homes. It is the opposite of “outsourcing,” whereby people in India and other countries overseas were being hired for the jobs. Check it out if you’ve always wanted to work from home. Just make sure that you thoroughly check out the company.

Here is the link to his webpage where he lists companies that he knows are legit:

Clark Howard Work At Home Page

I hope that helps.

~Kathy

Lothlorien

I also do medical transcription from home. I've been working for the same doctor for over 8 years. I began working at the office and then when Missy came, I started from home. Right after I got married, I took a class at a local community college for Medical billing/transcription/office stuff. It led me to where I am now.

If you are interested, perhaps you can find an online medical terminology course, because you need that above anything else (along with good typing skills) to do medical transcription.

mattsmom27

Janet's idea of at home call center type work is a great one. I'm in Canada so I'm not familiar with Willow, but there is a similar work place here that a friend of mine hooked up with recently and is making okay money from home. Sounds the same as Willow. There is a set up fee for the program here too, but it is NOT a scam, rather it is fees to "train online" for each company you will work for. This helps weed out those who are not going to work seriously at all and prevent wasting time training those who have no intent in working for the company.