ksm

Don't know why the dr. did not tell us that! He's just been a little hyper today, but I can deal with that much more than those epic meltdowns!

If the doctor insists that he keep on the medications... I'd insist that they gave it to him in the hospital for a couple of days so you have people monitoring him. Yea, I know, probably wouldn't get pass the ins company approval... or say, you'll bring him to his waiting room so he, his staff, and the other patients can see what happens. I'd be mad. KSM

I called the dr. and they keep saying it was not the medication that caused him to have such violent meltdowns and that it could take a few weeks to see results. I cannot go through that again! I told him how could he be perfectly fine yesterday without the medication? He was in a great mood yesterday and had no epic meltdowns.

InsaneCdn

You need a new psychiatrist.

There's a few possibilities... but this psychiatrist has a closed mind.

1) timing of the dose
2) as Buddy said, some kids do worse on a low dosage, and need to start higher
3) reaction between medications
4) an unusually strong reaction to this medication even at a low dose...
5) etc.

psychiatrist with closed mind + kid with violent rages = major problem.

buddy

I'm sorry they are not respecting you. I've had three docs say differently, they told me to call and stop it right away if aggression increases. His psychiatrist said if we ever had to try the high dose to start...then reduce until the right level method....he would be inpatient. Thank heaven another choice worked.

Several of us here have had your same experience. Within two days of stopping Seroquel, Q was back to his base line level. The degree of violence was dramatically increased on that medication for sure.
Then a year ago a medication used for both seizure control and mood stabilizing was tried (lamictal), and he ended up in the hospital he was so aggressive. It was a nightmare. I should have stopped it right away but it was a slower onset. I saw it but others doubted it. He could have ended up in the justice system.....in the end it started a chain of events that resulted in his not being in his school following increased behaviors (once behaviors happen for him they are hard to get rid of no matter the cause...then he learned more behaviors in the hospital...copied and did many new things)....in the end a school staff person hurt him and then blamed him for it by pressing charges. We had to go thru a court ordered evaluation to show he was incompetent to stand trial. It was ugly.

Trust your gut. There is too little common sense with the zero tolerance policies, and very disabled- as well as very young- children are being sent to juvenile justice for medical conditions.

It's, in my humble opinion, medical malpractice to deny known side effects reported by a parent. These can be quality of life saving medications if they work. They can be life destroying if they don't. They are seriously strong medications. Even people who have never have used mental health medications know that it often takes several trials to find the right medication.

His dr. can say it was not the medication, but we know it was. My sister's son took seroquel and said she noticed a difference within the first day of taking it. I still wonder if mixing the prozac had anything to do with it.