Seventh heaven

Malika

We have had our dog since Saturday and J has been in seventh heaven since then. She is the perfect make and model for him (a border terrier), being small so that he can hold her lead without pulling him and good-natured and easy-going (and calm!) so that she is not fazed by his boisterousness. He is so sweet and tender with her, genuinely solicitous and concerned for her welfare, that I think it is surely a good thing for children to have a pet like this. He says several times a day "I love you and I love Pup and you love me and Pup and Pup loves me and you" that it seems to be re-configuring his sense of family... And she herself (named Pup, apparently because that is the only name she would answer to as a puppy) is really very sweet... I am no great dog-lover but I really could be convinced. :)

InsaneCdn

Congratulations, Malika and J...

Well-trained "middle-aged" dogs can be an easier adoption than a younger one... sounds like this one is young enough (and the right breed!) to handle a bit of "boisterousness"...

Its not about "a" dog, though... the wrong dog is torment, and the right dog(s) adds SO much to life. And you are just at the beginning!

Malika

Yes, I think you are right (I won't say "as usual" :)) - this 8 year old, obviously well-trained, lady dog is the perfect foil for J's puppyish immaturity... although having said that, he really is surprisingly mature and careful with her, so this is why I say it must be a good thing for little ones to have a pet. But it's absolutely right that it has to be the right one - otherwise could be difficult child mania, human plus animal, I imagine...
I would like to post a picture... Is this possible from my picture files?

DammitJanet

Yes you can post a picture. You just have to have the picture hosted on a website like facebook (and people who have facebook can see it and those that dont wont be able to see it), or google picasa, photobucket, or another such site that hosts uploaded images in jpeg, or gif type (whatever is that word I am trying to say!)

Then you just post and there is a little icon above that looks like a picture frame with a tree in the center and you click that and it will give you a place to put the url of the place where your picture is stored online. enter that and tada.

Malika

Thanks, Janet. Well, I did try but the link to Facebook reveals all my details which (althouth I am actually not in the least paranoid about it), is perhaps not a good idea. I'll see if one of the other ways works. Anyway, if I don't manage it, just imagine a very sweet looking dog looking at a little boy who has a rapt and joyous expression on his face and his hand on the dog's head...

Last edited:

InsaneCdn

How can you tell its a terrier? digging under the blankets!

A boy and his dog... just go together.
Double that for a boy with challenges!

Malika

Just precious. I love that he likes to be under the covers. Does Pup sleep with J?
Yes, they sleep together. This has actually all been part of a master plan aimed at getting J to sleep in his own bed in his own bedroom, as he used to wake up every night and come in with me. It is working... The dog is called Pup because apparently the breeder/owner who raised him called all the puppies just "Pup" at first - then, later, when it was time to name them, she wouldn't answer to anything else.
I almost turned my back on the whole thing and gave her back shortly after we got her because it turns out I am allergic to her. I am allergic to cats and horses and usually fine with dogs but... fate has it. Saturday I felt dreadful and told J we may have to return her if I was still that bad on Sunday... he cried with great distress, of course, and I felt terrible... Sunday I was a bit better and decided I just couldn't break his heart... It seems fine as long as I don't touch her too much which is a bit sad. So she is really J's dog now!

InsaneCdn

Malika -

Not sure what is available in France with regard to allergies, but there are shots and such that would desensitize you enough to make it work better...
It also helps if someone else (i.e. J, not you) gives her a good brushing daily, outside.

Malika

Yes, I think there are injections you can get for allergies but it is a long course of treatment and then you have the question of whether the cure is worse than the ailment... :) Thank you for the tip re brushing - yes, that is good for border terriers anyway, I believe.

InsaneCdn

Yes, I think there are injections you can get for allergies but it is a long course of treatment and then you have the question of whether the cure is worse than the ailment... :) Thank you for the tip re brushing - yes, that is good for border terriers anyway, I believe.
My cousin went through with it... because she loved (and worked with) both horses and dogs... It took something like 3 years, and it wasn't a complete cure, but it took her from "gonna have to leave the farm" to... still being able to do training.

And by the way, <wink> J is always adorable. Its only Moms who don't see that, don't you know?! (its the attitude or behavior that isn't adorable... but the kid inside, IS) ... yes, I have the same challenge with both of mine.