She did well today!

tiredmommy

Duckie's school has a history of food fights of an epic proportion. Really, kids in neighboring districts talk about the food fights. ;) The administration, of course, wishes to ensure that there are no more food fights so a school administrator is often present during lunch periods.

So, Duckie is sitting at lunch with a group of friends today and she tosses a single gold fish cracker across the table to her friend, L (they often swap and share their lunches). L says she doesn't want it and tosses it back to Duckie, except that the single cracker takes a bad bounce and lands on another friend, C.

The school principal sees L toss the cracker and calls her over to give her an office referral (serious zero tolerance). Duckie overheard their conversation, got up and told the principal that she tossed it first, she was to blame and took full responsibility for the cracker being thrown. He was impressed by her honesty and let them both off the hook with a warning that anything that looked like a food fight would result in a referral.

This is absolutely huge because Duckie has a long history of trying to avoid blame for her actions. I'm a proud mama tonight!

recoveringenabler

Staff member
Wow, I am really impressed with Duckie's taking a stand for truth and honor and making sure her friend didn't take the rap alone. You should be proud of her, she is so young and already sounds like an 'old soul' inside a little girls body. I recall a moment when my little granddaughter took responsibility for something she and her boyfriend did, telling his Mom (who didn't like my granddaughter at all at that time) how sorry she was and how she knew it was wrong. They ended up talking on the phone for over an hour and from that point forward, his mom and my gd have been remarkably close. She had an experience of seeing how telling the truth and owning your actions can result in something positive. Just like Duckie did and then have the principal not only be impressed but also give her another chance. What a wonderful lesson. Good for her. Good for you.

InsaneCdn

And good for the administrator who actually had some common sense and decided to reward the honesty...
A stellar performance all around!

tiredmommy

He's a brand new principal, hired from another district. He's been a teacher of middle school and young high school kids for over 15 years.

tiredmommy

Who is this kid?!?! She beat me home by a few minutes and immediately asked me to call the school (before the door was even shut!). She witnessed a boy get bullied on the bus and wanted to talk to the principal or vice-principal to make sure it gets reported. We're waiting for a call back now.

InsaneCdn

She's HOW old?
Did her hormones just kick in or something?

Yes, seriously. My K2... went from a meek mild-mannered quiet mouse in the corner, to a LEADER, in about 6 months... shortly after puberty.

tiredmommy

I suspect she's an old soul. The victim is a sixth grade boy who seems exceptionally young for his age. Very nice, struggles academically, it's like kicking a puppy. He was in the classroom next to Duckie's last year, and he was bullied by one of the same boys as today.

Duckie didn't feel comfortable confronting the group of boys (three of them), but she did tell little N to report it when they got to our stop. N didn't want to so Duckie said she would because the way they were treating him was wrong.

So the principal called back a few minutes ago, spoke with Duckie and got the names and details of all involved and thanked her for letting him know so he could address the situation.

B

Bunny

Well done, Duckie! It's so nice to see that she wanted to report the bullying that she saw. So many kids just sit back and do nothing. You should be proud of her for both things.

And I am really glad to hear that the principal listened to Duckie when she admitted that she threw the cracker first and gave both of the girls a second chance. Now Duckie saw with her own eyes that being honest really does pay in the end!