She got it.

everywoman

Jana received a letter from the VA today. She qualifies for VA disability. Hopefully this will help her get back on her feet again. She's got to call about education benefits. Put she will get a little pay each month and back compensation for surgery and convalescence.

everywoman

Thanks Fran. More than anything, I think that she was validated and it helped her see that she wasn't wrong. The army deemed her fit to serve. And when she was injured, they made her feel like it was because she was weak and undeserving.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Thanks Fran. More than anything, I think that she was validated and it helped her see that she wasn't wrong. The army deemed her fit to serve. And when she was injured, they made her feel like it was because she was weak and undeserving.

That's just so lousy what they put her through. She absolutely deserves every bit she's going to get from them! I'm glad to hear the news. :D

susiestar

Roll With It
I am sorry she ever needed this. But I am very glad she got it - she deserved it.

They accepted her, she got hurt, they bullied her into doing tasks that they KNEW would give her permanent injury, or at least ran a serious risk of doing that.

Then they booted her out and told her it was HER fault??

I don't THINK so!

I am glad she was approved and does not have to fight for this. Extra glad for the back pay - maybe it will be enough to pay the deposits for an apartment?

I had faith she would recover well, and I am glad they will do right by her.

HUGS!

everywoman

Thanks ladies. She is has a 30 percent disability rating, probably for the rest of her life. Not a great thing to have at 19...but, it is what it is. She has been told that her knee will not hold out for long...she is looking at knee replacement in her early 30's. She is not able to do a lot of things she enjoys---dance, skiing, running...but, she is not bitter. She says if she had to do it all again, she would. PS, I'm still loving the new boyfriend (he is now officially her boyfriend!).

mstang67chic

Going Green
That's great! This will be a help to her for years to come, I'm sure.

Something to be aware of and I'm sure you are but I just learned it last weekend. Any disability payments from the military are NOT affected by having a job in the civillian world. There are no restrictions on how much you can earn and still receive your benefit. The benefit is because you were injured while in the military and they are responsible for you. Period.

A friend of ours is getting disability from the military at 70% because his back and knees are in rotten shape from all of his years in and the jobs he did. He just retired this spring and is working as a civillian but can make as much as he wants with no repercussions. 30% may not be much at the rank she was at but it's something and will be a bit extra each month for her. Once she gets on her feet she can always bank that payment and build herself up a nice little nest egg after awhile.

witzend

I'm glad that she will be able to put this part of her life behind her and move forward. It really is very validating when the disability does come through.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Also note that the VA payments are not taxable income. She doesn't even have to list them on tax returns.

They have no bearing on her working as a civilian.

She needs to look into what GI Bill bennies she is eligible for (This changed in the past few years) and whether or not she is eligible for CHAMPVA medical coverage. (Used to be she wasn't at such a low level of disability, but again; it might have changed)

everywoman

I think she may be eligible for Post 911 GI Bill. We will talk to school financial aid next week to fill out paperwork.