She graduated!

Nancy

difficult child turned 18 yesterday and graduated today. She looked lovely and was actually nice to us. I never thought this day would come.

I took a walk with husband tonight and we both said how relieved we were and that the next phase of her life is up to her. We are taking one day at a time and while I have no idea what the future holds, it does feel very good to have this day behind us.

Nancy

MaryB

I so know what you mean. It's a big hurdle, however, the future still looms. What is our job in that future? Is there a job for us to still do as Warrior Parents? Don't get me wrong, but it saddens me. I think that yes, we still have a job to do with our difficult child's. Maybe not as it was in HS but still there. Little by little, we can start giving up our semi-control of situations and let our difficult child's take the reins.

Mary

Penta

Yes, you all have achieved a great milestone. Be proud and take what comes next, one day at a time. Congratulations!

DDD

Now that she has graduated...I've exhaled!...and am wondering about her future choices. Does your State have college tuition programs available for graduates where she "could" "on her own" opt to matriculate somewhere away from home? I'm sure she isn't ready to major in Rocket
Science just yet ;) but...is it possible that she could leave home and go to a campus? That would be a relief for you all and might provide a little bit of security for her as she explores her freedom. Curious, as always. DDD

Nancy

DDD she is currently enrolled in one of our state universities about an hour from home. The deal we made with her months ago was that if she took an english course at the community college this summer to improve her skills and she follows our house rules we will pay her tuition. She has one year to prove herself. If she fails any course or parties to excess and gets into trouble she has to come home and either enroll in a tech school or get a full time job and find a place to live. It's all up to her. I don't think we can be any fairer than that.

The english class actually started two weeks ago M-TH 8-10. She has gone every day so far. It's a fairly easy course for her but is the one she tested into in the college pretesting. Her vocab/sentence structure skills are low because she hated to read. She finds herself in class with many people whose education level is fairly low, and that in and of itself I think is an eye opener for her.

You know as much as I say I'm done now, we are still trying to make sure she has all the opportunities she needs to function in the real world.

Thanks for all your support. It means a lot to me.

Nancy

Last edited:

bby31288

Congrats. I am so glad you are over this hurdle. easy child 18 graduates this year on June 24. I am waiting to exhale and to be in your shoes. It has been a tough year, I so need this to be done and over so I can say she graduated.

Nancy

LOL Janet, I'd be happy to. I wish difficult child was medication compliant but she still doesn't see the benefit. We sure do see the other side of her when she doesn't though.

Nancy

Penta

I think your deal is perfect. Allowing her to keep her end of the bargain, so she can go off to school in the fall and being very up front about what she needs to do to stay there.

Wiped Out

Staff member
Congrats Nancy! Sending many hugs your way. I think your deal with difficult child is a good one!

N

Nomad

How wonderful for a variety of reasons!
And its also wonderful to hear that your daughter is trying hard at this English class.
I know things have been VERY rough, but these are good things and some clear positives.