She quit her job today!

Sue C

Well, husband wins. I had given her 2 days of being a Merry Maid and husband had given her 5. Today is the fifth day and she quit. She called me on her cell phone to tell me. She did not give 2 weeks' notice because she is still in training, and she says that would not make sense. I asked her why she quit. Her response: "They were being ****ing b*tches to me!" I told her to go over to the new upscale hotel that is opening soon in town, but she said she doesn't want to be a ****ing maid anymore. I asked her what she wanted to be, and she hung up on me.

Just last night she had talked nicely about going to a technical college in Fall for photography, and she had me look at the school's website with her. Now today this. husband and I don't care what job she does, but she needs a job and needs it fast! And if she does go to the technical college in Fall, she will have to work part time.

Sue

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
<span style='font-family: Comic Sans MS'>Well, I guess you both saw this one coming....

Hope you can motivate her to get back out there and keep looking for "her" job....</span>

:nonono:

DammitJanet

Well she has crossed one field off her list...lol. Or is that two fields...

Hate to tell her, bosses are gonna be that way to her in most fields. Excrement rolls down hill.

Sue C

I overheard Melissa talking on the phone to a friend. She said that she was training/cleaning with another woman and the supervisor today. She had finished a bathroom and the one woman came in. Apparently, she saw a little dirt Melissa had missed and "ratted her out" to the supervisor. Then the supervisor supposedly yelled at her. Don't know if that is how it played out or not, but that's how it happened in her mind.

Yep, Janet, cross two jobs off Melissa's list:
--no warehouse order selecting jobs
--no maid/housekeeping jobs

She does not want to cashier because she did that part time for four years during high school and is sick of it. She does not want to work in retail. She does not want to be a waitress. She does not want to be a bank teller. She wants an "interesting" job. Good luck to her.

Sue

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Sue

Yep. She may not have a clue as to what she wants to do for a living, but she's found 3 things she doesn't want to make a career out of. Believe it or not, that's some progress.

If she is agreeable to sit and talk you might want to point this out to her. Working is a great way to help figure out what you would like to do for the rest of your life. (or at least for a longish time til something else peaks your interest) If manual labor doesn't seem to be up her alley then a tech school or college ed may be just what she needs. Cuz otherwise she may find herself at 50 doing exactly what she doesn't want to do, scrubbing toilets.

N has yet to decide what she wants to do as far as a career. But she does know she doesn't want to do manual labor with little pay and awful benefits with employers that may fold in a decade.

So she's decided to do the phlebotomy program. It only lasts a year and she will have a good paying stable job with good benefits when she's done. That's only a hold over til she is positive what she wants to really do and then go to school for that. But I've told her that if while she's in school she discovers another path she'd rather follow then she needs to go for it.

easy child sort of did this with the RN program. Being preg and then having a tiny baby she didn't want to go away to college. She needed something that would make her able to support the baby that didn't take very long. So her plans of medical school went on hold and she did RN first. Now she's back to the medical school thing.

I know I drove my Mom nuts before I married. As a teen I flat out refused to work fast food. I got a job in a hospital instead. Then I went to a tech school and was trained as an LPN. I quit like 2 weeks before graduation with an A average because I'd suddenly decided I didn't want to BE an LPN. I still recall the look on my Mom's face when I told her. (and yeah I still kick myself for being so stupid lol)

I hope you can keep her out there trying.

Hugs

KFld

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sue C</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I overheard Melissa talking on the phone to a friend. She said that she was training/cleaning with another woman and the supervisor today. She had finished a bathroom and the one woman came in. Apparently, she saw a little dirt Melissa had missed and "ratted her out" to the supervisor. Then the supervisor supposedly yelled at her. Don't know if that is how it played out or not, but that's how it happened in her mind.

</div></div>

I know my difficult child always exagerates when it comes to describing how someone spoke to him. I think it's all part of the insecurity. One little thing to my difficult child can seem like a big huge thing. I'm sure if she was in training they are looking to see how she is doing and probably had to report to the supervisor that maybe she wasn't giving it her all, but difficult child's don't seem to take even constructive critisism to well. I know I have had to tell mine on many ocassion, it's the working world, suck it up and get used to it.

Hope she finds something else quick.

It's funny, but my difficult child is the total oppostite. Once he finds a job he never quits. He may get fired, but he has never quit :smile: Every job he gets is the best in the world and he loves it and wants to work there forever. I think it's his fear of change that makes it easier for him to just stay where he is rather then make another change.

Sue C

Lisa -- Yes, I guess you can say that Melissa is making progress in that she's discovering what she does not like doing. Two nights ago she was talking about going to tech college in Fall for photography, but she is so up and down that who knows if she will follow through on that. Your N sounds like she is smart in realizing she doesn't want a low-paying job with no benefits. Melissa doesn't understand at this point that benefits are important. We told her if she has to go into the hospital, she will be responsible for the astronomical bills. And she doesn't understand or care about things like 401K's right now. She does understand wanting paid vacations, though. LOL

Karen -- Yes, Melissa seems to exagerate and dramatize. After she had quit Trek on the spot, she later confided to husband that she wasn't making the quota that she was supposed to make by the end of the 90-day probation period, (it had only been about 6 weeks) and she was afraid she wasn't going to be able to make it. So I'm thinking rather than wait to see if she couldn't hack it and get fired, she quit instead. She has always quit things on the spot when they've gotten too hard: saxophone lessons, voice lessons, dance class, college courses, and I can't remember what else.

Sue

Fran

Former desparate mom
Sue C, as I have told difficult child. It's not yelling it's teaching. If you didn't do the job correctly it's the bosses job to show you how to do it. Get over it. If my difficult child used the criticism to learn correctly then it's a good thing. No one is going to pay him to do a half a**ed job. If they want money they have to give the employer what they want in terms of services.

difficult child quit the dishwashing job but he had another job already. He was getting manhandled by some rough peers. I didn't want him to quit suddenly but it wasn't the best situation.

Our kids are dramatic and self absorbed. No one pays for cra**y work. If she doesn't want to do cleaning then she has to find things that work. I have warned difficult child if he continues to not succeed in a job, it is an indicator that he can not live independently so he better make this one work. It's not brain surgery so he can do it. It's a matter of choice whether he does it well or not.

Good luck.

DammitJanet

Maybe she should take one of those career tests. Then she could work part time and go to a tech school full time. It would only take her a year or two to get out into the working world.

There are some decent jobs in such things like radiology, medical front office work, respiratory technicians, etc. Maybe one of those would fit her well because she would be busy moving around and seeing a lot of people in a day. Or you could always ask her if she would consider the military...lmao.

My dtr completed a phlebotomy program, studied, did the exercises, did a 100-hour externship in a hospital, got her state certification -- and then never would apply for a job. Before she moved to Illinois with us, the school had placement assistance but she didn't like any of the referrals -- too far, not enough pay, lousy hours. After we moved we encouraged her to apply at doctor's offices, clinics, labs, and hospitals. I helped her with a professional looking resume. But she always found some excuse not to go job hunting. After a long enough time, she said she was not confident enough and needed to practice before she could apply anywhere. So wife suggested that she call around and see if anyone offers a refrsher/recertification class. She didn't think they did -- wouldn't know how to look them up -- would call the original program and see if they had a referral next week. At any rate it never happened. Her certification has now lapsed.

She just couldn't face the prospect of having a good job and all that that entailed: managing her finances, keeping an apartment, being reliable and punctual.

WhymeMom?

No real answers to life..
This so reminds me of when my son was in school, he would actually do his homework (on occasion), but then just would not turn it in....duh? Don't know what goes thru their minds? Can't face failing if they don't do well? Who knows....after so many years I still have no clue....