She's in the psychiatric hospital

M

ML

I love you BBK and have you and our precious Tink in my prayers. This is a turning point, it needed to happen so that she can get the supports in place to start having a real childhood. I know you're doing everything you can. At this point try to "give it over" and trust that she is in good hands. Love, ML

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
I woke thinking about you and wanted to let you know I am here.
My thoughts are with Tink.

Steely

I also had you and Tink on my mind today. My thoughts are still with you guys. How is she doing? Are they changing her medications around to something you are in agreement with?
Hugs and peace.

I saw Tink today at a family therapy session. Matt got a pass (for anyone who does not know, he is in jail, he is at a work release center) from the center and took the train in from the city so that he could attend as well. The session went very well, and she is doing much better. Needless to say Tink was overjoyed to see her daddy.

The doctor there is taking her off ALL medications. Kinda ticked that he never discussed that with me but I will be talking to him tomorrow during a staffing.

I've got to say that if I had to hand-pick a place for her to be, it would be this place. It is all kids and it is very nice and homey, not antiseptic at all. Tink has her own room and bathroom, and someone was smiling on her when she got the room with the pink door.

Thank you all again for your prayers and support.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Thanks for the positive update. Hopefully the medication wash will give everyone a clear picture of where she is and what needs to be done to best help her. I believe they do not need your permission to do the wash when she's admitted for something like this, but hopefully others will chime in and correct me if I'm wrong. True, it would have been considerate if they'd consulted you first, but hopefully they're just trying to clear the deck quickly so they can figure out what she needs.

I'm glad it's a very kid-friendly place. That can make SUCH a difference, in my humble opinion.

Hang in there!

ThreeShadows

Quid me anxia?
Oh, BBK! I'm so glad to see you're back. When you say you felt like she had died, maybe you were mourning the belief that she could outgrow whatever her demons might be and she would miraculously behave like other people's children. I hope that she will come out as healthy as she can be.

I can't imagine the depth of your resolve to kick your addictions. Women like you are my heroes. You could have just stayed in your hole until the end but you climbed out. Tink is getting the help she needs to come out a healthy young girl.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
BBK

When Nichole had to be admitted, it didn't matter that I knew it was absolutely necessary at the time. Broke my heart to have to do it. It can be so very hard for a parent.

Glad today's visit when well. Know you and Tink are in my thoughts and prayers.

((((hugs))))

TerryJ2

Aw, I'm sorry, I know how you feel. Especially since she is so young.

by the way, the doctors never discuss anything with-you. They just do it. I didn't like that part of it, either. I could only trust that they knew what they were doing.

One good thing about taking her off all medications is that she's there FT, so they will supervise and observe her and they are trained in that.

This is giving you a break. Take advantage of it and get some sleep. When my son was in the psychiatric hospital, I was upset and sad, but relieved, all at the same time.

Do NOT let her lay a guilt trip on you. This is what she needs. You are the parent. Period.

susiestar

Roll With It
I found the psychiatrists the hardest thing to get info from or give input to when Wiz was in the psychiatric hospital.

They REALLY did not like that I attended every staffing the first 3 months. Even when they changed it to 6 am and then to 11 am - with-o warning each time. I simply refused to leave the room until the updated me on the am when they changed the meeting to 6 am.

Just make SURE they are tapering medications off not doing it cold turkey. It can be dangerous to do cold turkey on some medications.

Also make sure they keep her long enough to figure out what is going on. THAT is often the hard part.

I am glad Matt got to come. Have they given you any idea how long she will be in the psychiatric hospital?

hugs to both you and Tink!

RWHangel

Just want to add some medical knowledge here. Because she is a minor child the doctors can not just do whatever they want with your child they are required by law to notify you first and get your written or expressed consent to do anything with her. Though the doctors hate it and want you to just trust them I never do. My difficult child's docs at the psychiatric hospital hated me because I knew too much. They wanted to put her on Geoden and I refused to allow it because I know the dangers assiociated with that medicine. Whenever you put your child into the care of a hospital make sure you know your rights. As her mother you have the right to know what treatments she is getting, what tests they are doing, what diagnosises they are presenting and why, to approve or reject medications and to be involved in her care. I see this all too often where parents just trust the doctors because they have knowledge that the parents don't. I am not saying don't trust but I am saying educate yourself and ensure that you are involved in every aspect of care. The pshosp may not like it but it is your right as her mother to be involved and to know what is happening. I am a witch when it comes to my kid and when they try to do something I don't approve of I let them know it. The other thing is make sure that you watch for changes that you may or may not like during new medication trials. I made it very clear that they could try certin medications on my difficult child but if I didn't like the outcome I would remove her from them which I did on one medication. They wanted to switch her clondine over to trazadone I allowed it but watched her very closely during visits and when she got home did not like what I saw. She was irritable aggitated and touchy, didn't even want a hug or to play with the dog. This was not what I had in mind for her and it totally changed her into a crabby kid that didn't want to be touched or bothered. I immediately removed her from the medication and put her back on clonidine. If you have to demand to speak to the director and explain that your rights as her mother are being ignored and you want to be informed of any changes before they are done not after so you can make the decsion whether or not you want to make that change. I think this is the reason psychiatrists don't like me but I don't care this is my kid and if it is too dangerous with out good reason I won't let it happen. Make sure to attend all her meetings speak your mind and don't let them bully you. Check out the medications they want to put her on if you have a bad feeling about it check it out and tell them you will let them know but you want to think about it. They don't like it but you are your childs voice let it be heard. My thoughts and prayers are with you both.

TPaul

Idecor8
My heart goes out to you during this time, I can only imagine how hard it must be. Do listen to those on the board that have experienced the same thing you currently are. Those that have been there, do know how you feel and how they handled and coped with this situation.

Hopefully through it all your difficult child will get some help to allow a better time to come about. Do take the time that you have peace in your home, to allow it to recharge you for the next phase that will be there, when difficult child comes home. Don't feel guilty for feeling the peace in your home, just allow it to recharge you to be able to help difficult child.

Thought your way today and tomorrow
T. Paul

Ephchap

BBK,
I just saw this, and wanted to send along my hugs and prayers. Tink is young, but as Lil Dude's Mom mentioned, the earlier the intervention, statistically the better the outcome. I know this doesn't help your hurting mommy heart, but we're here to lean on. Know that we all understand and are there cyberly with you.

Hugs,
Deb

Star*

call 911........call 911
Hugs & Kisses for my Purple Princess. Sometimes doing the things that are the best for our kids hurt us the worst.

And YOU Young lady - ugh.....867-5309....:tongue:

crazymama30

Hugs. This has to be so difficult. It would be very hard to not be included in the medication issue, I don't know how well I would deal with that.

I've been trying to get on the site for days and my computer kept crashing! Gaaaahhhhh....

She is still in the hospital. Docs have weaned her off all her medications and now have her on lithium and seroquil. Nobody there quite gets why she is there, she is all sunshine and rainbows. So last Friday, during family therapy, I tripped her trigger.

Therapist and Matt were slack-jawed. Matt had never EVER seen his little girl act like that. Lucky me! I get it ALL.

They were saying maybe she could be out in a day or two but I am not taking her until I have a solid diagnosis. Bipolar, anyone?

I want to thank you all again for your support.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Thank goodness somebody got to see a little bit of her true colors instead of just the honeymoon sweetiepie. I hope that helps them in nailing down a definitive diagnosis, even if that means she stays a bit longer.

Hang in there!