Shocking in a good way

Wiped Out

Staff member
Last week we had difficult child's iep meeting (for those who have been around, you might remember they used to take more than one day and with a huge staff). The iep last about 45 minutes. The biggest shock of all was that the school believes he no longer needs a BIP!!!! They are saying he is handling tough situations really well. For my difficult child, who has been so violent a BIP has been necessary since 1st grade, this is huge!!!!!!!

Trust me, he is still a huge difficult child but this one surprised both husband and me!

TerryJ2

Wow. Major improvement.
Do you think that there is enough support there so he won't backslide?
Congratulations!

TeDo

CD Hall of Fame
That is AWESOME!! Maturity and correct medications really are making a difference aren't they. Good for him and it has to be a relief for you. Ditto Terry's question: "Do you think that there is enough support there so he won't backslide?"

L

Liahona

I wondered about the same thing. Do you feel he doesn't need a BIP?

difficult child 1's teachers say he is aggressive about half the time he is at school, but for some reason they are ok with that. Hope your school isn't like that and difficult child is ready for no BIP.

Bunny

That's great news, but I would see if they can keep the BIP in place for the remainder of the school year, just in case.

Excellent news!!

However, just to be on the safe side, I agree with the others - I think it's a good idea to keep his BIP in place at least through the end of this school year. From personal experience, I always tend to think the worst when a change might mean less out of pocket expenses for the school. Even with my biased way of looking at things, this is still a hug step forward for your difficult child!! SFR

Wiped Out

Staff member
Thanks all! I do agree at school right now he is doing really well for him! We did agree about letting the BIP go because we talked about reopening the IEP if needed.

LittleDudesMom

So letting the BIP go took the IEP away? So the BIP was the only the thing left in the IEP - no other modifications, supports or accommodations?

*Sharon

Wiped Out

Staff member
Sharon-He still has his IEP (always will) with a ton of modifications. He will be able to stay in school til he is 21. Once his "senior" year is done and possibly before they will focus on work skills for him. I just meant we are allowed to reopen the IEP at any time if we feel that the BIP needs to be put back in:)

InsaneCdn

In other words, there's a footnote on the IEP that actually says that?
If not, I'd ask for it.

Something along the lines that if behavior issues re-surface, that the BIP will be put back into place.

LittleDudesMom

Sharon, I figured that was the case but the wording had me confused! Glad difficult child is pulling it together. Sometime maturity can make a difference, I know it did with my difficult child as well. The behaviors at school continued to improve the more "aware" he was of fitting in -- well perhaps not fitting in per sue, more like not wanting to stand out! Additionally, he was more able to control once the triggers hit as he became more self aware.

Sharon