Shopping Trip

pasajes4

My son called me Friday night and asked me if I would take him to the bank so he could open up a savings account, and he wanted to take me out for dinner.

When we were through with dinner he asked if I would take him to the outlet mall so he could buy a pair of shoes. He has a very large foot and it is difficult to just walk into a store and buy a pair. They usually have to be ordered and can be pricey. He found a pair he liked and of course there were none in his size. The look on his face when they told him how much they were going to cost him was priceless. "Sputter..sputter How much? That's almost half of my pay. I am going to have to work 3 jobs just to survive. Reality sux."

I probably should not have laughed, but the look on his face was just to much.

New Leaf

Oh when they suddenly realize how much money they really cost. :)
Okay, are "they" the shoes, or "they" the kids. Because both is so true.

"They" the shoes, because of the size factor, and the need for them to be designer, or cool or in.

"They" the kids, because we have all put so much time and love and yes, $$$$ into them. That is a long, multifaceted story.

"They" the kids, because when they have to pay for all sorts of stuff to support themselves, oh boy what an eyeopener!

:groan:

pasajes4

His shoes have been more utilitarian then cool since he wears a size 15. The basketball type shoes can be ordered in his size but would cost more than 200.00. The shoes he settled on were sturdy work type.

I bet he takes better care of them now that he had to pay.

New Leaf

His shoes have been more utilitarian then cool since he wears a size 15. The basketball type shoes can be ordered in his size but would cost more than 200.00. The shoes he settled on were sturdy work type.

I bet he takes better care of them now that he had to pay.
My grandson wears a 15. We have Ross over here, they have 15's sometimes (thank goodness!)

pasajes4

We can sometimes find shoes at Ross. Most of the time the ones we find are sports cleats. That is always our first stop.

Lil

I share his pain, as I wear a woman's size 12 - sometimes even a 13! Shockingly, my best bet is Payless. They regularly carry those sizes. Limited styles and quantities of course, but still my best bet. I'm sure they carry up to a 15 in men's. Now...they aren't exactly high quality, but for the price you can buy 4 pairs instead of one of the better quality type.

Okay, are "they" the shoes, or "they" the kids. Because both is so true.

I actually meant the kids...but it would have been more accurate to say they suddenly realize how much their things cost. :)

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
Oh those pesky life lessons. ;)

It's good that he is learning what things cost and as you said he will probably take better care of them.

pasajes4

He went through a pair of payless shoes in about 2 weeks at work. The ones at wal mart did not meet job specks.

I personally love life lessons.

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
I personally love life lessons.
Me too. I always try to learn from whatever life throws my way. :student:

Has he ever tried buying shoes online? You could also have Payless or whatever store check with other stores to see if they have his size.

InsaneCdn

Getting good WORK footwear for larger feet seems to always be a challenge. My kid isn't size 15, but close... he has no problem getting "casual" shoes, and there seems to be lots of sports footwear. But safety boots for work? they only bring in the most expensive ones in the larger sizes.

pasajes4

they only bring in the most expensive ones in the larger sizes.

Yep. They are very specific about what constitutes appropriate foot gear. They have actually bent the rules a bit because of the difficulty in finding some in his size. His boss told him that he can bring in the receipt and they will pay a portion of the cost.

Scent of Cedar *

I am still celebrating the part where he wanted to take you to dinner, pasa.

With all my heart, I am celebrating that for you both.

Cedar

I think I have never seen a size fifteen shoe. How tall is your boy?

Lil, my goodness.

:O)

pasajes4

My son is 6'5. I hate shopping for clothes with him. It was worse when he was younger and wanted to dress like everyone else. Tall men shops tend to carry clothes not geared to teens. He has always been able to find athletic wear, but cool tshirts and a few other things are a pain in the backside.