short meeting update

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
The meeting went well, I think. They have finally decided, AND put it on the table, that the first step has to be keeping wee difficult child in the building and not escalating him.
YA THINK???? i've only been saying this for a year and a half now...
But, I must give them credit, it goes against every thing they've ever been taught, but they are doing it.
They are not pulling him out of the morning classroom for social skills group (this would have resulted in 6 para/room transitions in 3.75 hours instead of just the 4 he already has) He now has the option of going to to music or not, and if he does not go to music, he will joint he social skills group.
We tried to get them to tack social skills on to the end of every day, but they did not. We did not push it, we'll bring in the advocate for that.
They are also concerned about his academics. He can't read a lick, and they are now realizing that an hour of sped instruction a day isn't gonna cut it.
Snail's pace, or slower, but they are starting to get it.
Sorry I've been away...I've been making up the time I'm missing from work, so I haven't had any free time lately.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Sounds like progress! Maybe they'll finally come around and figure out that what you've been asking for all along is NOT unreasonable, NOT impossible, and EXACTLY what wee difficult child needs!!! I hope this is the beginning of a better year for him.

JJJ

Shari,

I think when our difficult children are grown you and I should open a business training teachers on how NOT to escalate difficult children.

klmno

Well, any progress you can get them to make and that works can be a motivator in getting them to try more ideas you have in the future. At least there is more hope than the last sd offered.

slsh

member since 1999
They are also concerned about his academics. He can't read a lick, and they are now realizing that an hour of sped instruction a day isn't gonna cut it.

Biting back may sarcastic comments. ;) Seriously though, it's good that the light is dawning for them.

And hey, snail's pace is better than backwards.

Hang in there!

M

ML

This is good news. I'm glad they are on track with the plan! It's good to "see" you and I sure hope this year is better than last.

Christy

Sounds like some progress. I hope things go smoothly and you can start to feel confident that difficult child is in good hands when he's at school.