Should I Be Worried - AGAIN?

Transparent

difficult child was just in my daughter's bedroom with my DS and I hear "look, I'm committing suicide!!" (I kept the baby monitor on) So I went to the door and I hear DS saying "I don't want to hear any more of that ****" So the explaination is he was using Woody (doll) and standing him on the edge of daughter's hope chest and making him "jump" off and fall to his "death".

He just got out of the hospital yesterday and has a psychiatric appointment tomorrow. I'll definitely mention it but geeze. Does it EVER stop?!!! :sad-very:

B

bran155

I am so sorry. That must be very hard to hear. I don't have any advice I just wanted to send you some {{{HUGS}}}.

Hang in there and God bless. :)

Transparent

It starred out the word my son used. It wasn't the "s" word though. Anyway, they were just downstairs playing with the Wii and difficult child made gestures like he was going to hit my DS in the face with the cotroller. Ugh.. Gonna be a long day.

klmno

I'm sorry- I've learned that a release from the psychiatric hospital doesn't mean the difficult child is stable, unfortunately. But, he might just have some words stuck in his mind because he was there- I wouldn't be too worried just yet, but I would keep an eye on it. I know it's hard to hear- hang in there!

Nancy423

do I have to be the mom?
I get notes from my difficult child about how she haates herself and wishes she were dead. It's so hard to deal with that because all we want is for them to be happy.

Hope the psychiatrist can help.....((HUG))

Marguerite

Actually, I see a positive thing about this - he is expressing his feelings and acting them out, instead of burying the feelings. That is healthy. PLus, he's acting it out almost comically with his dolls, which is actually a release from tension and a healthy way to handle any residual feelings.

If he REALLY intended something, he's less likely to be this open about it.

So I wouldn't be too concerned by it, but I do agree - tell the doctor at the next opportunity.

While I'm not saying you shouldn't be concerned, I think an approach of cautious optimism is better. If you let him see any anxious fluster over this, it makes him MORE aware of any power he might have and he could then learn to deliberately manipulate with threats.

NOT good.

Sometimes it's like walking a tightrope.

Marg

BusynMember

I've been in phospitals three times so I know they often don't get the problem either rightly diagnosed or fixed, sadly enough. I'm wondering how long he's been on the Celexa, and if you believe they have the right diagnosis for him. I was told to always be concerned when a person talks about sucide. SSRIs can cause suicidal ideation.

Transparent

I've been in phospitals three times so I know they often don't get the problem either rightly diagnosed or fixed, sadly enough. I'm wondering how long he's been on the Celexa, and if you believe they have the right diagnosis for him. I was told to always be concerned when a person talks about sucide. SSRIs can cause suicidal ideation.

He was put on the Celexa around November 25th and no, we don't think he has the right diagnosis. The doctor at the hospital says depression but my husband and I firmly believe there's a whole lot more than that going on. We're going to press the counselor tomorrow. He sees someone different and we're hoping to hear something positive or different from them.

BusynMember

Do you think the Celexa could be making him suicidal? Prozac, a cousin of Celexa, made my daughter suicidal. It's not that uncommon.
I hope you get a better handle on your kid. It takes so darn long to find out what is going on...

TerryJ2

Leave it to Marg to look on the bright side! Good point, Marg.

Listen to your gut, Transparent. You know your child better than anyone. Keep going until you trust the diagnosis and feel better about your difficult child.

smallworld

I would recommend watching your difficult child very closely. SSRIs like Celexa carry a black box warning about suicidal ideation. My kids all experienced bad reactions to Paxil, Prozac and Zoloft, Celexa's SSRI cousins. While I tend to be overly cautious, psychiatric medications are nothing to fool around with. Please report this episode to the prescribing psychiatrist first thing in the morning.