Should we be worried?

tiredmommy

No, but I talked to Duckie and some of her friends. I told them that they'd feel really sick and wouldn't be able to go outside and play if they caught it so they should make the effort to frequently wash their hands.

gcvmom

Here we go again!
Heck, for all I know, easy child and difficult child 2 could have already had it when they had the flu-like bug just before Easter. High fever, aches, cough, sore throat, the whole shebang. You wouldn't know for sure WHICH virus it was unless they tested you anyway.

I agree that the media are overdramatizing this situation -- if they're not careful, it could cause a very UNnecessary panic here in the states, where health care IS much better than for our neighbors south-of-the-border. People have enough to worry about right now.

Jena

I agree, yet I guess they need to be honest with-what's going on, ppl are taking more precautions due to it. The media though is insane, this is a big one for them! LOL. seriously though, they take any bit of anything and run with-it.

My brother goes to college in manhattan and he said ppl are on trains with-masks on. He was like are you kidding me??

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Heck, for all I know, easy child and difficult child 2 could have already had it when they had the flu-like bug just before Easter. High fever, aches, cough, sore throat, the whole shebang. You wouldn't know for sure WHICH virus it was unless they tested you anyway.

I agree that the media are overdramatizing this situation -- if they're not careful, it could cause a very UNnecessary panic here in the states, where health care IS much better than for our neighbors south-of-the-border. People have enough to worry about right now.

I think you are completely correct, GCV!

I'm not sure where your "Chicken Coop" is, but in my area the bad flu hit at about the same time the Mexican migrant workers were returning for the start of the planting season this year. Coincidence...?

Not sure why the government feels the need to panic everyone right now, although it's probably already a lot more widespread than anyone realizes. I know that none of us thought to go get tested for new strains of the flu virus--so whatever we were sick with, no one will know for sure.

--DaisyF

KTMom91

I've had the cough and general yucky feeling for about three weeks. Figured it was a cold, but when it didn't clear up I went to the doctor. He said it was my asthma reoccurring, but I don't think so, since the asthma medications aren't helping. Now my cough is worse, head aches all the time, and body aches are beginning. All I want to do is take naps.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
KTMom, in accordance with this new "news" I'd say I'd be going back and tested for the swine flu. It's doesn't hurt to be careful.

easy child and I were discussing this today. I don't know about anywhere else, but late winter/spring we've had a nasty flu going around in the area. My friends son had it for 3 wks and it took this healthy 8 yr old and kicked his fanny all but good.....and had all the symptoms of the swine flu. Only no doctor a month or so ago would've dreamed to even look for it......so, how would they know? Many more cases like it. And we have a wonderful Mexican restaurant owned by recent legal immigrants from Mexico.....who sponsor other legal immigrants from Mexico on a reg basis by offering housing and jobs. So......the possiblity (however remote) is there.

Not saying that's what it was.......just saying that it probably didn't start when it was reported. How many people could've had the same thing that went undiagnosed simply because we had no clue the virus was out there? Plus you have all the unreported cases (various reasons) out there as well.

Not trying to cause a panic either. Just saying. I've been watching documentaries about this for the past couple of years. And personally, from what I've been learning in school and with the documentaries........I'm worried simply because it's a combination virus.

That medications like Tamaflu work with it can be a double edge sword. Virus mutate rapidly. All the little bugs the Tamaflu doesn't kill are free to multiply as their competition dies off.

The potential for a major pandemic is there. Just stop and really think about how many people you come into contact with on a daily basis, then multiply it by how many people they'll come into contact with and so on. Doesn't mean it will happen this time, but it will eventually. Govts have been trying to prepare, but honestly, I don't think there is a way to truly prepare for something like this except education.

Stop using the antibacterial handwashes and use hot water and soap.

I'm not panicked. I don't think it's reached anywhere near that point yet. Although it is wise to stay aware and to be careful, while praying it dies out before it has a chance to get a good toe hold.