SI Brushing... where to find that brush?

amandaf

I've been reading up on Sensory Integration & the brushing technique... I went to look for the "surgical brush" that you use, but I can't find it... Any suggestions on what stores to check & what section of the store?

Thank you!!

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
Not sure where you can find one but ours was a surgical scrub brush...got any medication friends?

susiestar

Roll With It
You shoudl NOT NOT NOT attempt this unless you have been trained by an Occupational Therapist (OT). Period. If you don't do it the right way, or brush certain areas you shouldn't, you cause MAJOR problems. Just ONE example is if you brush the abdomen you completely disrupt digestion in a way that is very painful. There are other pitfalls also.

The Occupational Therapist (OT) will have the brush. Our evaluation, a few years ago, was covered by our insurance. The school Occupational Therapist (OT) should be able to show you the technique also, though they do not do it at school usually and they do NOT do a complete assessment - they just look for ways academics are affected.

AFTER you have been properly trained you can buy the brushes at Occupational Therapist (OT) supply places like www.southpawenterprises.com.

You do your child NO favors by teaching this to yourself. There are also gentle joint compressions that come after the brushing. Done wrong they can also hurt your child.

SRL

You shoudl NOT NOT NOT attempt this unless you have been trained by an Occupational Therapist (OT). Period. If you don't do it the right way, or brush certain areas you shouldn't, you cause MAJOR problems. Just ONE example is if you brush the abdomen you completely disrupt digestion in a way that is very painful. There are other pitfalls also.

The Occupational Therapist (OT) will have the brush. Our evaluation, a few years ago, was covered by our insurance. The school Occupational Therapist (OT) should be able to show you the technique also, though they do not do it at school usually and they do NOT do a complete assessment - they just look for ways academics are affected.

I agree. You can make sensory issues worse by providing the wrong kind of stimuli, or providing it incorrectly. Brushing shouldn't be done on a child without an evaluation or training by an Occupational Therapist (OT).

jal

My sons school's Occupational Therapist (OT) taugh me how to do it and gave us the brush. It's didn't help my son and he go so he didn't like it, so we stopped.

susiestar

Roll With It
Not every technique works for every kid. Being trained in how to do it really increases the chance that it will help your child. Our Occupational Therapist (OT) had us come in for a quick check about 2 weeks and then again about 4 weeks after that. All we did was show her how I was brushing thank you. She checked my technique and made sure I was doing it right - that was all the two follow ups were for. She didn't even charge and it was about 3-5 min each time. Those follow up visits really cemented the proper way in my mind.

My goofy cats both like the brushing therapy also. The same pattern we use on thank you is used on them. Not just brushing their fur, but the actual technique. It is funny to watch because they just loll there on the couch like little pashas when I am done. They are on top of the world, LOL. They do have their own brushes cause I bought a dozen.