Sick at heart...

klmno

I think it's a REAL good sign that 1) this was his idea, not a 'requirement' from anyone, 2) he got himself there and back into it, and 3) he did it so quickly after relapsing. If you had told him he better or dangle carrots to get him to, or whatever, it would have been almost a natural reaction for him (most people) to show reluctance and not want to do it. You did great and he did a great thing, too!

Nancy

Is this the detox unit connected to his first inpatient program? If so that's good, maybe they will take him back there instead of the sober house, which I don't think he is ready for. From what I have experienced with difficult child, most everyone who comes into the sober house without coming from an inpatient program fails. They stay for a week or two but go back out. They are not detoxed. Actual detox only lasts five days at the most, but your body is not detoxed. It just means the drug/alcohol is out of the body, but you are still suffereing the effects of not having it. You crave it, you get nervous without it, you look for any opportunity to get it. The detox units around here do nothing more than keep you comfortable until the drug is out of your system. They do not address any emotional issues. You are in a hospital bed until they think you are stable enough to leave. It seems like his best chance is to have the very controlled atmosphere of the rehab program help get him over these cravings before he is out in a sober house where he can have too much freedom. Unless the sober home was very restrictive and he had no freedom, no cell phone, no ability to even leave the house until after the first three months.

I may be wrong and I hope I am but I am skeptical that he is just doing pot and spice. From experience I found out much after the fact that everytime difficult child told me she was just doing such-and-such, it was far more. I just find it hard to believe that he was willing to be put on the street for pot alone. But I am very jaded and suspicious when it comes to difficult child so that affects the way I think.

Nancy

klmno

Even if it is deetox right now, it's much easier to get into an inpatient rehab from detox than from 'the streets'. One step at a time.

T

toughlovin

So yes Nancy it was the detox that was part of the first inpatient program he went to. And they just called me. He is out of insurance coverage... we thought that might happen!! So they will be discharging him on Thursday. He hopes to go to this different sober house down there. I looked on line at their program and it actually looks like a very good place, very structured and they provide transportation to meetings 3 times a day etc. Plus they do some help with job counseling etc. I think it is more structured than where he was at. I don't believe where he is going matters nearly as much as what he is willing to do and how hard he is willing to work though. And he did sound more committed to getting better, to going to meetings, to doing the steps. But I am still skeptical but hopeful. I do think having no place to go last night kind of scared him... especially since he didn't have all his buddies up here to go crash at... he was really out on the street alone in the dark. So we had a good conversation. I have a call back into the place since we will be paying his rent at least for now.

Thank you all for your kind words and support, it means the world to me to have others who really understand what we are going through.

TL

Nancy

Excellent. A more structured environment and they will transport him to meetings three times a day. Works for me. Hopefully he will take this second chance and make something out of it. I firmly believe as long as they are somewhere getting help there is hope.

Nancy

dashcat

TL,
Sending huge hugs. I would be sick, too, if I were in your shoes. I 'd also do what you're doing and pay for treatment only. This has to be so hard.
Dash

T

toughlovin

I really hope he makes this time work..... I worry about his endless need to break rules..... I mean a good sober house has to have rules. He has so many darned issues...... but I also know a big part of him does want help and does know he has a problem. I guess my hope is knowing that is the first step.

Muggsie

Kathy813

Staff member
TL, I just saw this. I am so, so sorry. I hope that having absolutely no place to go was his wake-up call. I will be keeping a good thought that this is the time that he really gets clean and sober.

Don't forget that relapses are very common and part of the process.

{{{{hugs}}}}

~Kathy

AHF

What sends off alarm bells for me is the idea that he wants to go to these places--detox or the sober house or wherever--because he does not want to be homeless. This has always been the case with Peter Pan. And yes, needing a roof over one's head can be a powerful motivator, but once he gets the roof he can fall back on noncompliance until he faces not having the roof (and maybe the 3 squares a day) again. So I worry for you and send hugs & support ... but I also wonder, if the cycle starts up again, maybe you should require that he try some outpatient stuff from a homeless shelter, to be sure that it's the treatment he wants and not just the shelter from the rain?

T

toughlovin

Interesting idea AHF.... maybe if this happens again I will tell him he needs to spend some time in a homeless shelter before we will do any more for him. I do think he does need treatment and each time he seems to get a little lower and I know there is a big part of him that really wants help.... but then there is that other part of him.

I have an update but I am going to put it in a new thread.

TL