Sick dog! I took him to the vet. Now what?

BusynMember

He was fine one day, the next day he whined if you touched his side or if he had to jump up to the car and had a fever of 103 (I found out that's a fever for a dog). He was lethargic and wouldn't eat. I rushed him to the vet who ran tick disease tests and it all came back normal, but he knows that dog is sick. He gave him a shot and cephelgem pills (something like that). The dog perked up all day today then I sent Nicole out to walk him and she came in all upset, saying he was whining and could barely get up a very short step. He started trembling (like he had when he first got sick) and I put a cover over the dog and called the Vet, but it's too late and the emergency vet is $89 just to walk in the door, not including the tests. Tomorrow the vet will be in again so I have to wait.

I'm so worried. He didn't eat again and is just laying around. If you touch his head or sides, he whines. If he doesn't have a tick disease, what else could it be??? Any ideas? He is a seven year old cocker spaniel (see avator). I am actually in tears. I really love my pets. Do these symptoms ring a bell? On the plus side, he has no diarrhea and is alert. Thanks for any feedback.

donna723

There's a lot of things that it could be. Being in a lot of pain and not being able to get up steps could be some type of back or neck injury too. Just about anything that can happen to a human's back can happen to a dog's too. It can come from jumping down off of the furniture or something like that. Or they can get pulled muscles too, just like a person. Is he peeing and pooping normally? Any chance that he could have eaten something he shouldn't have, like a piece of a toy, that gave him an intestinal blockage?

Last edited:

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Gryphon had similar sx from a muscle tear in his lower neck. Do NOT give your dog medicine for this. For example: Ibuprofen can kill a dog. Dogs can take buffered aspirin, but talk to get info from a vet on correct dosage.

Tylenol (acetimonophin) is also extremely toxic to dogs (and to humans, in my opinion and per study cites)