Sick little kitty

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Just pick up the generic ones at either walmart or aldi's........no sense in paying a lot for them. But they certainly do better than anything else I've tried, which has been a LOT of things. :)

Californiablonde

Thanks for the article, Haozi. I did read it and so far I'm doing everything right. Hopefully once the cat gets better with her medical problems she will start using the box. This morning she peed on my bed.

bby31288

I'm sorry to say if she is peeing in the house the smell very soon will be bad!! You need to try and fix this. Cat pee smell is extremely hard to remove from rugs, furniture, etc. I too have never had that issue. I simply put kitten in the box, scratch their front paws in litter and that was it. If she is still small enough can you put her and litter box inside the bath tub until you find the right combination. That way if she pees or poops outside of the box it's a much easier clean up then the carpet! I know you rent and would hate for you to lose your place or security deposit due to animal accidents.

Californiablonde

I don't know for sure if she peed in the bed but the bottom was a little wet so I assumed she did. It didn't smell like urine so maybe I'm wrong. I have never had a cat refuse to use a litter box before. I assumed it was instinct. Since this cat was abandoned at such an early age I guess she didn't have a momma cat to show her example. But she sees Lily use the box all the time so she should be following her. Hopefully she learns quick. I am going to try a different litter this weekend and see if that makes a difference. I have really gotten attached to this little kitty and I want to be able to keep her.

jal

Was the kitten using the box before the crying and puss issue? If so, she could be equating the pain with the box which is causing her to refuse it.

Californiablonde

I have never seen her use it once since we got her. The man who found her and nursed her let her go in the box she was found in. He never tried a litter box on her. So now it's up to me to try and teach her.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
We adopted Willy from the HS much much too young. He had no clue what to do with a litter box. We had Shadow at the time inside/outside and Henry outside (stray who came to our porch and never left). We tried putting him in it, we tried showing him how........there were no health issues........and it just got worse. He watched Shadow all the time. Still got worse. Finally had to wean him to outside because he was using every corner in the house as his personal litter box. phew!

Does someone have a small pet crate you could borrow? Thinking perhaps you could put kitten into the crate at night and when you can't watch her......keep a small version litter box inside.......and maybe she will catch on without accidents throughout the house. (or at least limited ones)

Californiablonde

I don't know of anybody who has a crate I can borrow. At least the cat is limiting her accidents to the bedroom or bathroom floor. I have the little litter box in the bedroom for her to use. She will go next to it but not in it. And I have Lily's big litter box in the living room where she's used to going, but now she prefers to go in the little litter box that's meant for the kitten to use. So maybe I should get a small third one? I don't know what else to do. I am really attached to her and I don't want to get rid of her. My cats have always been indoors but she may have to be an outdoor cat sooner or later if things don't change by the time she gets to be an adult. I am going to buy new unscented litter today and see if that makes a difference. Several people in my cat group suggested unscented litter so that's one of my last ditch efforts to see if she uses it.

HaoZi

CD Hall of Fame
How is the health issue going right now for her? In the meantime, ban Lily from the bedroom for the time being so the little one has a box all to herself. Are the sides too high for her to in and out of easily?
When she goes in there, make sure you go in there, too, and when she starts going to the bathroom, pick her up and put her (gently) in the litterbox. If she was never trained in the first place, she might really have no idea.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Try freecycle or local fb yard sale sites for either a free or cheap small crate.

I've got the stray kitties in the small puppy crate I have lined with newspaper............I took an old box from canned goods at the store (you know how they cut them?) and turned it into their litter box. It sits at the back of the crate with food/water at the front corners. I didn't expect the kittens to figure out how to use it immediately but I was hopeful they would want to stay clean and would catch on. They're using it just fine actually with no accidents outside the litter box. Now I KNOW momma didn't teach them as she couldn't fit into it if she tried and she is only inside the crate long enough for supplemental nursing and to bathe them a bit. (she's not overcome her own diarrhea enough to even consider letting her stay with them)

So far the weaning process and the litter box process is going well. *knocks on wood before I jinx myself*

Californiablonde

Well I bought some unscented litter on Friday and I think the kitty is finally starting to use it. On Sunday I smelled something yucky then heard a cat scratching in the litter box. I just assumed it was Lily, but when I went to go look I saw Mandy in there scratching away. My boyfriend says she was just playing in it and didn't really use it, but I really think she did. Several hours later I caught her in it again scratching around for about five minutes. I'm sure part of it was her playing around but I really think she was using it for it's intended purpose. In the last couple of days she has been in it and I haven't actually caught her going to the bathroom in it but I haven't found any accidents on the carpet or in the bathroom for two days either. When I used to put her in there and scratch her paws in it she would cry and jump out of it but now she is going in there on her own. So I am cautiously optimistic. I am hoping she continues to use it. We have all gotten really attached to her and she is such a sweetheart!