Sick Of This!!!!

susiestar

Roll With It
I am on day 3 of migraine hades. HAve had the come and go fever/chills for going on week 4 now. doctor says it is just a virus, take imitrex.

Imitrex doesn't work. I am at my limit.

Can't take Tylenol because inherited liver issue, no advil/aspirin/nsaid type medications because allergic.

I am ready to just be DONE.

Wheel the hearse up Hattie!!

Thanks for listening to me.

Susie

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Sending gentle ((((hugs)))) Susie.

This may sound like an odd suggestion, but have you tried a heating pad on your head? Sometimes that's helped me with a miagraiine. Maybe it would help the medication work better?? Heat = dialated blood vessels.

I hope it passes soon.

nvts

No advice, but a question: isn't there supposed to be something about caffiene and migraines? I can't remember if you're supposed to add it or avoid it. If it's avoid, make sure none of the medications, foods, or beverages that you ingest has it hidden.

Hope you feel better!

Beth

PS: Try sitting in the bathroom filled with steam. It could be a sinus reaction to high/low pressure changes in the weather.

Just a thought!

Beth

F

flutterbee

Caffeine is a vasoconstrictor so I would say avoid it.

If Lisa's heating pad doesn't work, try ice on the back of the neck. Nitroglycerin causes one hell of a headache because it dilates of all of the blood vessels in the body. Tylenol, advil, percocet...nothing touch it. But ice on the back of the neck gives me instant relief.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Susiestar -

Since everyone is different with their migraine problems and solutions - I can only offer you those things which have helped me. And those which I seem to avoid and have less chances of migraines.

Causes:
Change in the weather days without rain are the worst
PMS
Milk high in fat -anything past 1% =instant headhurt
Lots of chocolate - which is a bite during PMS - I crave what kills me
Cigarette smoke
Strong odors or basically any odors - I feel like a K9 some days
Loud noises
Bright lights (more sunshine than is possible)
Stress
Men in general

Helps:
Relpax (prescription you can only have 6 a month but OMG what a help)
Packing my head in ice
Taking 3 bayer coated aspirin a day religiously
Iron tablets (low iron can cause headaches)
Dark and quiet room
Topamax - I was taking 2000 mg. a day (I think) It gave me the dumb
Diet with lower levels of caffeine
No soda at all - water and juice only
Having DF hold and push in on my head with massage -seems pressure pushing inwards from outside helped.
Oh and don't laugh but that stick medicine HEAD ON - if I catch a migraine right when I have the light auras or light snow - and reapply directly to forehead the Migraine Head on (green tube)
Refrigerated eye patches - I keep several on hand they get hot quick

Hugs
Star

ps - I'm looking into Butterwort and Feverfew as alternatives to Topamax - Nomad seems to have good luck with it. I seem to have found a combination that let me go from a migraine every day to 2 a week - and that is a welcomed relief.

Josie

My daughter has been using Hyland's Migraine Headache Relief with some success. It is a homeopathic remedy. It hasn't totally relieved her headache but she complains about it less than she did.

susiestar

Roll With It
Thank you all so much for caring. I feel like I just got a big group hug.

I have tried everything here. Including head on! It helps, but never eliminates them for me. I am on lyrica to help with other things AND migraines. Topomax didn't work for that.

Weather is crazyhere, hot, cold, rain, ice snow, then almost 70! This really is not good for me!

Luckily I am out of the PMS days. I got spayed a few years ago (hystectomy - total!) and it haas helped tremendously. My estrogen level is always the same thanks to a little bitty pill! My family rejoices every month when Mommy does grow a second head!

Relpax is not useful for me. I have been on it - 6 in 3 DAYS did nothing. Zomig makes it worse and maxalt makes me terribly ill and itchy. So imitrex is what I get. But it isn't working.

I am going to go steam my head. I use rice bags a LOT for heat on my head.

Thank you all so much!!

Susie

mstang67chic

Going Green
I don't have any experiences with migraines but on the off chance that the weather is affecting things...my mom SWEARS by salt water. I know you can buy a saline solution in the store but she makes her own and snorts it. It sounds gross and slightly suicidal but she says it does wonders for her sinuses. A bit of advice though....if you do it and there's stuff in there to release....be near a sink, trash can or other container. When it works apparently it's a bit messy.

I am so sorry.

My mom gets migraines like yours. Debilitating, can't get out of bed...just really so painful. I wish I could make them all go away...

Tiapet

Old Hand
Hi, I can only add a few things that I learned from my neurologist because I suffer from them severely as well ( they came in clusters too). I take the topomax for prevention (I know you can't) and it helps but here are some other things that have helped and were suggested:

100mg of B100 (not a mix of B vitamins) daily.
Caffeine is in a majority of migraine headache medicines (contrary to what someone posted) as an additive to dialate the vessels. For some it works and others it doesn't. The following list are foods to avoid but not all affect everyone (some affect me and some do not trigger):

aged cheeses (swiss, cheddar, etc) american is fine as it's not aged
almonds
pizza (eaten as a whole, it's not each ingredient - I thought that one strange)
The skin of white grapes
chocolate ( I think we all know that one like Star posted)

One other thing I did was stand in a hot shower as long as I could and let the water beat down on my head. Immediately got out of it and put towel on head and into dark room. Kept towel over head (not wrapped but draped) and then put heating pad on top of that. If you can stand it place a pillow on top of that for a little light pressure added (weight) but you don't want to much more.

I wish I could find the huge long list she had given me years ago. I had never seen something so extensive anywhere as that. I had read a lot, even online but some of the things this had on it were never found anywhere.

I hope maybe something on there helps.

susiestar

Roll With It
yeah, I avoid most foods that cause migraines. Not eating much right now. This will problem need a doctor visit for some shots. I am trying to wait it out. I have been coordinating dinner for the rest, mostly helping Jess with planning and how-tos for cooking.

I would appreciate the list if you find it. Every piece of new info helps.

Thanks all.

susiestar

Roll With It
Mstang,

I use a SinusRinse bottle with saline in it. It really really has prevented a LOT of allergy related migraines. Ayr saline gel after works to keep my nostrils from getting too dry and then bleeding.

Thanks.