Sigh. Another work drama. Now what do I do?

Steely

Seriously!! This is getting to be insane! Ok, it already was insane, but now it is just downright ludicrous.

So I found out information today that could get 7 people fired. Half of which are managers. Fired for complete violations of our companies policies and code of conduct.

However, you know my track record with this company. They have done nothing to preserve my integrity from day one, and have allowed me to be harassed and hung out to dry repeatedly.

So. What do I do? My moral compass tells me to come forward with all I know. These are HUGE offenses that managers have done to employees.

But my gut tells me I will be the one suffering the consequences, because that is always what has happened in this company.

The truth become negotiable. And my story becomes obsolete.

Do I just keep my head down, and ignore improprieties? Or do I stand up for integrity and risk losing my job?

witzend

I really think it is past time for you to look for another job. This company is not a good fit for you.

Marcie Mac

Just Plain Ole Tired
I wouldn't unless you have a dead body or proof in writing that a violation took place - otherwise it is he said, she said, and you will be thrown to the wolves as fresh meat.

Its the one big problem with corporations - their mission statement says one thing, their personnel follow another statement when it suits them - which is why I have always worked for smaller privately owned businesses. I make a less money, but don't have to deal with a lot of bs - its well worth the trade off.

Honestly, If it were me, I would be actively looking around for another job. And then spill the beans at your exit interview. But from my experience, working for places that have a moral compass, good luck with that...They are as rare as hens teeth now days..

Marcie

susiestar

Roll With It
Stay OUT of it. Unless it is at an exit interview, you won't get anywhere being a whistleblower. It is sad but true. IF specifically asked a question, be honest but as brief as possible. If at all possible, just say you are not comfortable commenting or have no direct info.

You are a single parent who can't afford to get involved in this stuff esp in a company that has "hung you out to dry".

No good can come of volunteering info.

How is the job hunt coming?

KTMom91

Is this info in writing? Can you make copies? Failing that, can it be reported anonymously? Having copies of stuff is how I won against ***** for harrassment. I went on disability for job related stress, and had the paper to back it up.

You really do need to get resumes out. Retail is hard enough without having to breathe the toxic air of bad management.

Shari

IsItFridayYet?
I agree with the others.

A - if this stuff is in writing or on a computer, or wahtever, make copies. Create an email account and forward stuff to it, something.

B - find another job. Yesterday!

C - hand over your info on day 14 of your 2 week notice.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Steely, I hope you have your resumes out. This job isn't a good fit for you. Then I'd hand over the info on my way out the door.

Seriously. This company may have a great "public" reputation, but it really stinks.

Hugs

K

Kjs

Many companies now have a "tip" line. Do you know if your company does? you could then submit the tip without knowing who you are.

My experience...HR says "door is always open". Same with boss, president etc.
Go to HR to make a formal complaint after constant harrassment. HR lady is so sympathetic, encourages me to do more, fill out paper work. Don't worry we will investigate.

Then you get into a meeting with higher ups to go over investigation findings. HR stabs you in the back. Everything discussed is turned around and denied.
I documented date, time and harrassment activity for over a year until I could not take it any longer.

The director of my department told me he does NOT want to see any more documentation and from this day forward you are NOT to document anything. ( I continuted to do so )

Needless to say after many more months of harrassment and being lied too I was let go. After an entire life dedicated to that company. 18 years. I was a supervisor.
They did things that were illegal, then pinned it on me. Who is going to be believed??
Certainly not me. The directors and presidents and HR staff.

If they do not have an anonamous tip line or other action....STAY OUT of it.
That "open door" is never open.

Lothlorien

I really think that it's time to look for another job. You have had nothing but problems there. They were completely inconsiderate of you when you were grieving for your sister. They handled things improperly with various issues. You were harrassed by an employee and are embroiled in this weird legal thing over it and now this. How much more are you going to put up with? You don't like working there, so what is making you not put resumes out?

N

Nomad

I agree with the others...
Is the info. in writing? Can you discreetly copy something and take it home? Don't talk about it with anyone. Whisteblowers never get anywhere, really. I suppose the only way that pays off would be if it is a matter of life and death and even then, it more a matter of keeping your conscientious clean (few would want to keep something that important a secret).

Yesterday, I saw in our business section of the local paper that it is best to leave a company if 1) they are clearly going "down" or 2) they are clearly doing things that are inappropriate and in the end...this will cause them legal or other problems. I agree with the others...it is time for you to look for another job. I wouldn't leave this job until you have found another one, I wouldn't tell anyone that you are looking...but I would look asap!

Last edited:

Suz

(the future) MRS. GERE
I have the same question as the others about documentation. In the wake of the Enron catastrophe, many companies are adopting a "Whistleblower Policy" to protect those who disclose improprieties. Does this company have one?

Suz

Steely

No our company does not have a whistle blowing policy, but they do have an anonymous tip line. However, since I know of the 2 people that called about this last time, and nothing was done - how confidential or effective can it be.

No, I do not have any documentation - in my opinion, it would be up to them to figure out the truth, not me. However, I am with you guys on just saying nothing. It always ends up bad - so I just need to go on.

The sad part is that they just moved me to this new department, and I love it there. For the first time in 9 months, I like work, and I am making friends, and I thought things were looking up. I guess that is why I have not been looking for another job - because suddenly I was finally enjoying being there.
Sigh.
My life.
It really seems like destiny is trying to lead me in a very definitive direction, if only I knew where that was.:sick:

Marguerite

The place at my last job - they were definitely doing inappropriate things on a number of levels. And the boss wasn't above using me and the other staff member (a secretary who she sacked a few weeks later - I never did find out why, I think that was a huge mistake) to cover for her.

One thing that really bothered me - they had on the cover of their publication that they had a circulation bigger than any competing journal of its type. To make this claim, they had to be independently audited. This meant getting info from the printer on how many copies were printed, and then having the premises inspected for any unsold issues. So this charming person stashed all the unsold copies (boxes and boxes, going back several years) into her office, locked it, then went overseas. So we had to field the inspectors and say that we didn't have the key, but all that was in her office was her desk, her computer, the fax machine and the office printer. And because we couldn't access the office, we had to send all our work to the printer upstairs and wait in the queue for the rest of the company.

The boss also used me to telephone an artwork company and ask for a catalogue of photos to be sent to my home address, so she could literally cut and paste the artwork from the catalogue and thereby save the money she should be spending on paying for the rights to use the artwork. I could hear the suspicion in the voice of the person I was talking to, but aI could also hear the boss breathing down my neck, listening in. I had to make it sound convincing, even though I wanted to scream down the phone, "Don't send it to me! So-and-so is making me make this call, she is trying to rip you off again!"

I suspect they had caller ID switched on; I never got the catalogue. But they have my name and address, so now they have me pegged as a sneak who does the dirty work of this cow.

I could go on. But dirty tricks like that made me very glad to walk away from those people.

The trick is, Steely, to hang onto your integrity and to also not give them too much of yourself. They don't deserve it. You do a good job for someone, but at the end of the day you must still belong to yourself and be able to live with yourself.

I had no documentation I could have used with my people - it would have been my word against hers. And with that secretary sacked in my absence, I had lost access to the only witness.

I left too, before I could be sacked. Before she could trump up a reason to sack me. No doubt she'd have thought of one; I had seen too much. I left on good terms, but was never given a letter of employment, to which I was legally entitled. So I was glad I had swiped some of those many unsold copies of journal issues I had worked on - they had at least given me credit on the contents page. And I really don't think they missed the copies I took home, somehow... it would have meant a few less to have to hide, next audit.

Steely, it's a job. Nothing more. You owe them nothing other than a fair day's work for a fair day's pay. I'd be sending out your resume wherever you can NOW, hang on as long as you can or until you get a better offer, whichever comes first.

Marg

hearts and roses

Mind Reader
I remember way back I worked for a major power company in NY, at a nuclear power plant. I worked in 'records' where all the microfiche and other engineer documentation. I can't tell you how many discrepancies we clerks saw. At one point I mentioned it to my supervisor and simply asked, "What do we do about those areas that show obvious cracks in the piping, etc?" She said she would look into it. Within a day I was moved to the non-restricted area where those items were not kept.

I eventually left that job after I had easy child. The power plant was never fired up - there were too many protests from locals and the Nuclear Power Commisson, or some such organization, came in and shut it down for dismantling.

In any event, I agree with the others that unless you think your anonymous tip will make the necessary changes, then I would not bother.

Can you seek a new job in the field you are enjoying now?

TerryJ2

Ditto. I'd still look for another job.
So sorry. Sounds absolutely awful. Just be happy that you're in a good dept. until your new jobs comes around.

trinityroyal

Steely, I agree with the others.
Find another job. This one is not a good fit for you.

Also, wait until the exit interview before raising your concerns. If you're still with the company, they have power over you.

Trinity

Steely

But, I am so confused. I always assumed that we had the right to a fair and equal workplace. Yet, every single on of you has said you were never give that, just like me.
So am I to assume that I have been living in an illusion? The corporate world will never be able to be trusted?
And the only recourse is???? My own company? Small companies. Compromise of my integrity?
I am so very confused.

amazeofgrace

A maze of Grace - that about sums it up
Steely, I think we should go job hunting together, after killing myself all week, I made one playful/sarcastic comment today in an email and you would've thought I had killed someone! I hate the fact that the job I loved is turning into another source of stress for me. Let's start a company, hmmmm, what should we do? Professional paintball players? Bee Keepers? Personal shoppers? Aerobic instructors? The possbilities are endless!

On a serious note, I will keep you in my prayers, and pray the guilty parties would burn themselves and be outted!