Sight unseen...Pending walk-thru

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Well...my BFF and her wife sent me detailed still photos and a video of the apartment I applied for this AM. It's gorgeous.

This afternoon, the management company called to tell me that the various credit and background checks had passed inspection and I was approved to rent that apartment. I agreed to rent the place pending walk-through on 7/15.

That gives them 2 weeks (the tenant will be out on 7/1 and he is not leaving voluntarily) to recarpet, repaint, and otherwise clean up and fix up the apartment to make it ready for a new tenant.

I will pick up the keys on that date if the apartment passes in person inspection and begin ordering furniture, taking delivery, having my household goods delivered, purchasing various and sundry items for the place, etc., and in general running around like a lunatic until August 1 when I will be fully moved in.

I will be paying pro-rated rent for half of July, along with security deposit, pet deposit, pet rent, etc. I then go onto a regular 1st of the month rent cycle beginning August 1st.

You would think I'd be looking forward to all the shopping I'll be doing. All I can think of is how much this is going to cost me and how long it's going to take me to pay it off. I do not intend on financing any of this. I have open lines of credit on a couple of no interest for 18 mos and then low interest credit cards and will use those as needed (no, I do not plan on going crazy), as opposed to cashing in a couple of CDs, or getting into the small amount of liquid savings I keep on hand for emergencies that require cash.

Plus, for some reason, I absolute HATE shopping, except as relating to hobbies like cooking and knitting. Anything where I have to deal with salespeople? Especially commissioned salespeople? Oy! *Shudder*

Other than that, I'm pretty well set. I'm still culling through crud figuring out what to keep and what to get rid off. I'm OK for e-cig supplies of various sorts for about 2 mos so don't have to hassle with that.

Saw my doctor here for the last time today. See my psychiatrist for the last time on 6/4 and that one has me nervous as I have been taking 2 RXs that are benzos for 7 years. Those can't be written for more than 3 mos at a time and it is looking like it may take me six mos or more to find a psychiatrist that takes my insurance.

My internist today, after warning me that benzo withdrawal can be lethal, said she'll write for them a month at a time if I am delayed in finding a psychiatrist. I'd like to get off the blasted benzos, which should never have been prescribed for long term use int he first place, but I'm sure as heck not doing it without medical supervision.

Got the other RXs that my internist writes for covered for 4-6 mos. I have a solid recommendation for an internist in Milwaukee. (My apartment is 2 blocks from Milwaukee, LOL!) so it's a matter of waiting to get in.

So, things are moving right along.

InsaneCdn

Way to go, GN.
I know what you mean about commissioned sales people :D I think it's part of why we buy so much of our furniture second hand.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
I have no qualms about buying second hand furniture so long as its not upholstered stuff. Bedbugs are practicially endemic in the Midwest US right now, and that's an issue I'd as soon have nothing to do with.

I only have two chairs that came with my tiny dinette set. I figure I can get two more chairs with which to fake it for the time being, or pick up cheap dinette set down the road a bit.

The apartment has a living room/dirning room combo and a large bedroom. I have to decide whether the desk goes in the bedroom or in the living room.

The closet/dressing room is accessible from the bedroom and the "whatchamacallit room". It's a strange layout as the sink is separated from the toilet and tub/shower by a door, basically in a separate room that is accessible from both the bedroom and the foyer. the huge closet is accessible from the "sink room and the bedroom.

One thing I cannot figure out from the videos is where exactly I can put two litterpans. One will go in the "sink room". The other probably In the bathroom proper. if there's room, that or in the kitchen, which doesn't thrill me.

I have to have two litterpans as Squeaky doesn NOT share nicely at all.

The patio opens off the living room. The patio appears to be next to the front door which opens into the living room.

It's a weird layout that will require the use of a nightlight in the bathroom o prevent walking into walls at least until I get used to the layout of the place.

The washer/dryer is a stackable unit in the kitchen. That will take some getting used to as I'm going from high-capacity units to tiny units where a set of bedsheets will be a load. It will mean doing laundry several times a week. Luckily, water is included in the rent as I suspect the washer is not, unlike my current washer, a high efficiency model.

Right now, I am washing all my winter clothing here, so as not to have to deal with that once I move.

I will probably take seasonal clothing to a local Laundromat to do all at once as opposed to spending a week straight doing laundry twice a year.

There is also an electric stove, which will be an adventure as I've never cooked on one before. Tips and pointers will be appreciated. My mother has one in her flat and loves it, but she's a rotten cook, so her advice is suspect.

My one concern with the electric stove is that the burners stay hot when turned off. I worry about the cats getting up on the stove and burning themselves.

One thing that will be nice is that with the place being built in the 90s, Is that there are oodles of outlets.

InsaneCdn

My one concern with the electric stove is that the burners stay hot when turned off
Is this standard electric coil elements? or a cook-top? Cook-tops stay hot a LONG time and are different approach to cooking. Coil elements actually cool quite quickly - as in, I dish up for supper, then add water to the pans and put them on the now-turned-off burners (the ones they were on). By the time I go to do dishes... the water in the pots is cold, and so are the burners.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Is this standard electric coil elements? or a cook-top? Cook-tops stay hot a LONG time and are different approach to cooking. Coil elements actually cool quite quickly - as in, I dish up for supper, then add water to the pans and put them on the now-turned-off burners (the ones they were on). By the time I go to do dishes... the water in the pots is cold, and so are the burners.
They are coil elements. Putting some water in the pans is a good idea. I hadn't thought of that. It not only keeps the burners covered until they cool, but makes the pans easier to clean.

Do the elements unplug easily so one can clean under and around them? I'm used to picking up the "spider" and wiping up around the burner after cooking.

I can ask the property manage for all the technical info when we do the walk-through. Must remember to have my camera battery charged as I plan on taking a LOT of pictures for my records. I got screwed out a security deposit back in the old days and it isn't going to happen again.

I've never used a household dishwasher or garbage disposal, for example, and haven't a clue how to use a stacking washer/dryer unit.

Scent of Cedar *

It's gorgeous.
I am happy for you. Big windows? A great way to enter this new phase of your life. From a mobile home park in the North woods to a gorgeous apartment in the city.

Woot!

and in general running around like a lunatic until August 1 when I will be fully moved in.

It's always good to plan these sorts of things ~ apartment viewing, grocery and sundry purchases, episodes of lunacy ~ ahead of time.

:O)

Works for me.

I absolute HATE shopping, except as relating to hobbies like cooking and knitting. Anything where I have to deal with salespeople? Especially commissioned salespeople? Oy! *Shudder*

Me, too.

Here is an interesting thing: My sister loves to shop, especially in the kinds of apparel stores that employ salespeople on commission. My sister will look into their eyes and repeat her name any number of times on a first visit, so that they will remember her name on the next.

I am uncomfortable with people I am paying, in one way or another, to be nice to or advise me.

Don't trust them.

Bedbugs are practicially endemic in the Midwest

This is good to know. We are having visitors this summer from pretty much everywhere but the East Coast. Each will have spent at least one night in a motel along the way. I will get those bedbug-proof mattress pads. They zip right over the mattress and you can wash and bleach them.

Now if only I could find something for ticks.

Ew.

It is tick season, here.

There is also an electric stove, which will be an adventure as I've never cooked on one before. Tips and pointers will be appreciated. My mother has one in her flat and loves it, but she's a rotten cook, so her advice is suspect.

THAT must be why I am such a bad cook, then. We have an electric stove. Only husband can cook well on it. I think it must be an Italian thing.

:O)

It is fun to be part of your move, Going.

Vicariously. I am not so happy or encouraging about it when I am the one moving.

Cedar

Lil

Electric is very different from gas. It heats up more slowly, stays hot a lot longer. If a recipe says "remove from heat" you need to take it off the burner completely instead of just turning it off. It's harder to control, simmer especially is tricky, as how "low" is "low"? But you'll get the hang of it.

As for the cats, if they jump on the cabinet next to it they'll be able to tell it's hot and not walk on it. If they do get burned by jumping on the stove itself...well...mean as it sounds, they'll only do it once! But I've had cats and electric stoves my whole life and never had one burned.

Jabberwockey

Do the elements unplug easily so one can clean under and around them? I'm used to picking up the "spider" and wiping up around the burner after cooking.

They remove easily and are a tad tricky to get back in but not bad. After you've don't it a time or two it will be no problem. Yes, there is a reason that restaurants all use gas, not electric. You simply don't have the control on an electric that you do with gas but as Lil said, with a little practice you will get the hang of it.

InsaneCdn

Do the elements unplug easily so one can clean under and around them?
Yes, easy. My mother with arthritic hands still did it (until she lost her vision). You'll get the hang of it in no time.

The stacking washer/dryer? That will be easy, too. Just smaller loads, less soap.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
That's the concern I have about electric: husband, who was a chef until he first started showing sx of his illness, wouldn't have an electric stove under any circumstances.

I'm a pretty serious cook when I don't have to order ingredients from Amazon and other vendors as well.

I am anticipating a few kitchen disasters along the way.

The washer/dryer sounds more like it will be an annoyance than anything else.

I've gotten spoiled by the ease of use of the "pods" detergents, and it sounds like I won't be able to use them in the smaller washer.

Cedar. Yes, Luckily, I have experience with living in the city and in congested metro areas, but after nearly 12 years, it's going to be a major change for me.

The place does plenty of windows as its a corner unit. Will be noisier as it's close to both a major road and the parking lot, but anywhere would be noisier at night than where I now live.

Lil

You might be surprised by the washer/dryer. I have a stacked unit now and it's actually a large capacity. It has more room than any other I've owned. Many years ago I owned the smallest stacked washer/dryer unit they made - a Gibson. I used it for years and years and never had a minutes trouble with it. It really held almost as much as a standard one. I couldn't was a comforter, but I could wash pretty good sized loads.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
That's good to know. The pan shot of the kitchen doesn't really show the washer/dryer unit in comparison to anything else to which I can compare it for size.

Even with my current high-capacity with-d, the comforters go to the Laundromat, so I'm used to that.

I plan on getting a queen-sized bed instead of the full-sized one I have now (which is shot), and I was concerned about being able to wash the rest of the bedding at home.

Why do I want a queen-sized bed? Because Thomas, unlike Squeaky, never got the memo stating that cats are supposed to sleep curled up.

InsaneCdn

The key question on the washer/dryer is... is the washer top load or front load?

If it's top load, you have a smaller "apartment sized" single unit.

If it's front load... you have a normal sized pair, stacked. (which could have been installed side by side).

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
The key question on the washer/dryer is... is the washer top load or front load?

If it's top load, you have a smaller "apartment sized" single unit.

If it's front load... you have a normal sized pair, stacked. (which could have been installed side by side).
Top load, so it's an "apartment-sized" unit. It definitely is smaller than what I have now. I can't tell how much smaller from the video.

It's not really that big a deal. I got in the habit of doing laundry weekly from years of going on base, or to the Laundromat to do my laundry, and just kept that up once I had my own washer/dryer. It's not a big deal if I have to do laundry a bit more frequently.

The only thing I'll have to get used to is not doing laundry at 3 AM because I happen to be up. According to the leasing manager who took my BFFs on the tour, the place is very soundproofed, but somehow, I don't think my across the hall or upstairs neighbors are gonna appreciate spin cycle at that hour of the AM, especially if something goes out of balance, and I suspect that the stacked unit will be noisier in general than the side-by-side that I have now.

My friends went during business hours because they needed to catch the office when it was open, so I don't know how noisy the place is at night. They did say there were quite a few children running around outside and the place does have a few play areas for the kids, as well as a pool and a fitness center.

I plan on making use of both of those. I am a strong swimmer, though very out of shape, and swimming is one of the very few aerobic exercises I can still do with the severity of my arthritis. The fitness room really depends on what sort of equipment they have. I can use an elliptical and a treadmill/recumbent bike, but that's about it.

The worst of all of this is gonna be having to buy a bathing suit *GAK*.

Oh...I got a call back from the leasing office a short while ago. They ask ages, gender, names, breed and weight of pets. Apparently, they couldn't make out my dysgraphic handwriting which described Thomas' breed, but were able to read his weight.

They called me back to make sure he wasn't an "exotic" which aren't allowed.

*sigh*...no. Nothing exotic about him. He's just a little Maine Coon Cat.

Tanya M

Living with an attitude of gratitude
Staff member
Wow, things are moving right along. How wonderful that you have found a nice apt.

By fall you should be well settled in and working that electric stove like a fine chef:)

Lil

I plan on getting a queen-sized bed instead of the full-sized one I have now (which is shot), and I was concerned about being able to wash the rest of the bedding at home.

Top load, so it's an "apartment-sized" unit. It definitely is smaller than what I have now. I can't tell how much smaller from the video.

You should still be able to wash a set of queen-sized sheets and pillow cases or two. If you want to wash a blanket, I'd wash just one. This should be fine. Even my little Gibson would hold a king size set of sheets and pillowcases.

My Gibson wasn't any noisier than anything else. In fact, I don't remember it ever "walking" like my big top-loader did when it was uneven.

Confused

I hope you settle in quickly once you arrive and have some time to relax! I hope everything will be wonderful for you! Many new great memories to come in your new home! Aww your cats sound so cute :)

svengandhi

Congrats to you.

I always learn things here. We have had an electric stove for 10 years and I NEVER knew you could clean the elements. Does that involve picking up the glass-like cover? Maybe H cleans it because he cooks on it.

We have had cats and they have never jumped on the stove.

GoingNorth

Crazy Cat Lady
Sven, it sounds like you have a ceramic/glass cooktop. The type of stove I am talking about has the elements exposed. Your pot or pan sits directly on top of the exposed element.

Because of that, food or liquids can fall on or through the coils of the element and burn onto the porcelain steel underneath if not wiped up.