Signs of Puberty??? medications??

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
OK today I was helping K get dressed... she still get's overwhelmed and needs help, asks for it.
She was leaning up against me saying she couldn't figure it out, I had a shirt in my hand and was about to help her put it on, when I was overwhelmed by B.O... full on adult stinky armpits... I thought at first my gosh do I stink??? But it was not me...
I checked her pits and yep that was where it was coming from!!! her legs are getting hairier also.

So I am wondering, is this a sign of the start of puberty??? I started my period when I was 9yo, it was such a traumatic experience for me, no Mom and so young!!! Are these things genetic?
Do medications cause these things to kick into gear earlier...
This poor kid can barely wipe herself, the thought of puberty starting to show it's evil little head scares the you know what out of me!!! husband almost passed out... he is definately not ready to even think about it...

Thanks for any info insight...

tiredmommy

totoro,
Duckie started this last spring. I understand your concern. It's not constant here, but rather comes and goes. Our doctor said not to worry unless she began showing other signs (underarm hair, breast buds, etc).

busywend

I would not worry too much yet. Perhaps she will need deodorant soon. But, it can be years after the onset of signs before beginning to menstruate.

LittleDudesMom

Both of my kids were early "stinkers"!!!! As Tm and busy have said, it is not an indication of puberty or early puberty. My biggest challenge, especially for difficult child, was finding a deoderant that command and conquered!

Sharon

jannie

trying to survive....
My difficult child stinks !! and his legs are very hairy.....someone saw him sitting down the other day while he was wearing shorts and they asked me if he was in middle school or hight school....I think the comment came because they were looking at his legs !!

I think it's related to the abilify....but that is just my opinion no fact.....

He also has pubic hair coming....I took him to a pediatric endocrynologist and they said he's not starting puberty....

He just needs to shower daily...

Steely

Just something to think about. My difficult child actually has delayed puberty. I took him to a pediatric endocronologist, and she said that some of these medications (the anti-psychotics) can actually cause a hormone, Prolactin, to be excreted too much into the body. Of course, in our case, he had the opposite problem, and his Prolactin was fine, but I might have kt's doctor just do a check to see if her hormone levels are normal.

We really do not have much data at all on these medications, and even the docs don't know what they can or cannot do. Interestingly after d/cing the anti-pyschotics my son went into full throttle puberty, where before it was moving at a snails pace.

totoro

Mom? What's a difficult child?
Thanks ladies... reading about the side affects on these medications it does make you wonder. Especially with the Prolactin levels etc. Like Weeping Willow said... I think I will mention it to psychiatrist just to FYI him. She does have little bumps!!! This was the beginning of our concern, but also she has gained weight from medications... so could it have gone straight to her breasts and her tummy? No pubes yet... Just B.O. hairy legs, and little bumps, that seem to be getting bigger...

I know this can take years, thankfully. I was just a little floored... but obviously I am thankfully not alone!!!

Cursed Puberty... as if.

Alisonlg

This was also a concern of mine. M stinks to high heavens (and it does not help that taking showers are a trigger for him...UGH!). His BO issue started last Summer, right around when his big issues started to emerge which made me think even more that it may have been a hormonal shift. But, no dr seems interested in exploring the possibility...they all shrug me off like I'm out of my mind.