Silliest sort of Weird thing Ever........

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Soooo.............I rode along with easy child and sister in law to Sam's Club in cincy. But easy child needed to stop at a few places to try and find Darrin some soccer socks and shorts. So she stopped at Meijers......and since we haven't been there in forever.........we sort of just browse the store. (oh, why on earth can't we get one of these stores closer...omg) For once sister in law isn't rushing us. So we meander through dept after dept and we wander into the gardening area.

I'm not planning on buying anything as I know I'm going to be paying for Travis and my meal at Red Lobster or Golden Corral tomorrow when the kids and I gather together to celebrate husband's birthday. (his 2 fav places to eat) And, afterall, I am on a budget. So I'm just looking......and thinking well gee we sure don't have garden decor like this at home.....can't find a darn thing or if you do it's priced out of this world.

Then I spot it.

Please keep in mind that I think garden gnomes are about the dumbest things in the world. They are totally NOT me. I'm the cute lil animals type person.......definitely NOT gnomes.

But there is a gnome on the shelf and it's wearing a bengals uniform carrying a football.....with a cane. For some unknown reason it totally reminds me of husband. The beard.......the Bengals thing.....the tummy........and husband had been bugging me he wanted to use his dad's cane and I had told him he had no reason to he walked just fine. And.......

I just had to buy it. It's a present for husband's birthday tomorrow. I know.......silly as heck. But yeah. So either before our lunch date or after......I'll put it on his grave.

That is the plan, anyway. Only now........I don't want to part with it. I'm really nervous someone will take it. And there is no way to make it like permanent where that wouldn't be possible.

Yeah.....pretty dumb, huh? I'll follow through with my plan. And I'll just have faith that no one would be so low as to take something like that.

easy child found a lovely bird to put on mother in law's grave. mother in law adored all types of birds. Odd that I don't have the same anxiety over the bird.

Yeah. A gnome. Go figure. Other people buy flowers. I buy a Bengal gnome. :rofl:

husband has got to be cracking up.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Oops. Can a mod move this?? I meant it for watercooler...................thanks. (tells you where my mind is tonight)

keista

I don't think it's silly at all. It's A gift to you from husband.

However, I'd bring it to the grave, present it to husband, but bring it home for safekeeping and companionship.

Star*

call 911........call 911
Hound -

I think you should but the Bengal Gnome in YOUR garden so that it reminds you of husband and gives you a chuckle whenever you look at it. Something that brings you THAT much happiness belongs in your sights. I like what Keista said. Take it to the grave.....show husband's headstone......and then take it back home. We talked about this anyway - you know where he's hanging out at. LOL. And if I were with you tomorrow night at the Golden Corral? I'd set a place at the danged table for your gnome - maybe he likes vanilla ice cream in a dish with colored sprinkles and gummy bears. ....you just never know.

keista

i'd set a place at the danged table for your gnome - maybe he likes vanilla ice cream in a dish with colored sprinkles and gummy bears. ....you just never know.

yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

InsaneCdn

Way To Go, Hound.
But... I do agree with the others. Don't leave it at the cemetary. (people do stoop that low...)
Put it in YOUR garden.
Take it with you when you visit the cemetary if you want....
And I really like the idea of the Gnome having a place at the table for supper... <grin>

buddy

Love it! I like it all. Bring gnome to dinner, to visit husband's grave. Then move him home to be with you always.

Calamity Jane

Priceless! That gnome is so unique, I'd spend the day with it, take it to the cemetery, the restaurant, then definitely bring it home. When you look at it in your garden, it'll make you laugh and cheer you up and somehow lighten your burdens. There are no coincidences...you were MEANT to see that gnome! Enjoy the day, it's great you're all getting together to mark DHs birthday. You're a gem.

I agree with the others: bring it to the restaurant, the grave, and definately keep it in your garden. Every time you look at it you'll smile and think of your husband. I love it.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Lisa, this is so not silly... If it works for you, it works for me!

I agree. Take the gnome, "introduce" him to husband... Then take the gnome home.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Well.......then I will bring the gnome home and put him in the garden. I knew mother in law would tell me she wouldn't put things on father in law's grave because people would take them. (but seriously? who IS that low??) And I'll put him right up on the table during lunch. (someone will have to spring me if the guys in white coats show up)

That feels "right", and gets rid of the anxiety part. :)

If the weather was better.........well, we'd planned to plant flowers for both him and mother in law but Nichole says it is pouring up there right now. So she'll do it next week instead.

Skeeter.........Nichole didn't miss a single game last season. She's a fan normally (due to watching it with her Dad from way back when she was little) But to her it sort of felt like she was watching it "with" him. She kept telling me omg Dad has to be so mad that they wait until he dies to play decent again! LOL

DaisyFace

Love me...Love me not
Well.......then I will bring the gnome home and put him in the garden. I knew mother in law would tell me she wouldn't put things on father in law's grave because people would take them. (but seriously? who IS that low??)

I know a mentally ill woman who used to collect items from the cemetary all the time...That's where she used to walk and when she saw something she liked, she would take it and add it to her "collection". So it's not always "low" people - it's "crazy" folks, too...

susiestar

Roll With It
Lisa, the gnome is perfect, and definitely take it to the restaurant and the cemetary and then home to your garden.

It is a perfect way to remember him wth love and sweetness, and he will love it.

It is FAR from crazy people who take things from cemetaries. there are a lot of cemetary and funeral home employees who will take things when they are out at the cemetary if the only people are around also are takers. sometimes the gardeners take things because they are hard to mow around, but that is supposed to be only in cemetaries where things are set up with easy mowing in mind (headstones flat to the ground, etc.).

Heck, I knew guys in college who would go get flowers for their dates from the cemetary and then would laugh at the girl.

DammitJanet

We arent allowed to put anything like that out at my Dad's cemetery because of the mowing. He has the flat head plate and the only things allowed are those flower arrangements that are made to go into those attached vases. We use fake flowers because they can stay out for months at a time and the funeral home takes them up anyway 3 times a year anyway. Pat puts up a Xmas tree at Xmas. She changes it out for his birthday and I send out his Father's day flowers in June.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Yes, Susie, that is the EXACT one!!! And holy ****, walmart is FAR more expensive than what I paid at Meijers......like double plus. wow

Well, the gnome ate Red Lobster with us. We had to skip the cemetery, but I know husband knows and is chuckling about it. I got some odds looks..........a waitress said it was awfully cute. I didn't bother to explain. The kids thought I was being a little "crazy" but actually.......it was sister in law who sort of "got it" (which I didn't expect at all) And they tolerated it ok.

I'll put him into the garden here in a bit.

I also wore a necklace husband made me many years ago. I made great effort to dig it out. It was my favorite made with special stone and shells. An absolutely beautiful necklace with no monetary value whatsoever, but to me is priceless. I know he was with us today. I could feel him nagging me because I didn't order shrimp. (husband was nuts over shrimp) I compromised and got it with the alfredo, so I could still have my lobster. lol