Silly Ponder Part Deux

Tiapet

Old Hand
Since my first one was well received I got to thinking why not try it with meats?

Trying to keep it pretty simple though. Like not what you do with it but the type and or cut. For example when I could actually chew my favorite would have been a nice piece of NY York Strip (not that I got it a lot). Secondary I always enjoyed a good roast (bottom round/rump even better). I also like a pork butt (we call it daisy ham-wrapped in red packaging though not the kind you get just in meat wrapper). Can't get it here. I've been chickened out though I do enjoy pounding the heck out of a boneless breast only. Porkloin can be ok. I do not like prime rib, go figure. Stew meat is ok too. Hamburger is ok to as it's versatile. Italian sausage. NO hotdogs!

How about you?

keista

Prime rib, Prime rib, and more Prime rib! All other meat is awesome.

have never tried "exotics" like tongue, sweet breads, or Bull fries (testicles. saw them only once in a grocery store). don't ever plan to, either.

DammitJanet

I grew up on porterhouse steak. Love tenderloins and a ribeye is good too. Cant eat them now though...lol. I eat a lot of chicken now..I love boneless chicken thighs more than the breasts but both are good. I am not as fond of pork but do eat it. We eat TONS of deer. I am not fond of hot dogs either but they have come out with some new sausages that are chicken based and right now I cant tell you who makes them but they have Gouda cheese in the ones I really like. Its not Hillshire farms I dont think. But anyway..I call them "not your kids hotdogs.." lol.

InsaneCdn

How about...
- super extra dry hand-built salami (we have a really REALLY good butcher shop around here)
- pork shoulder - roast, or chops, or whatever else
- beef heart
- rock cornish hens

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
Pork shoulder roast, pork steak (both have more fat on them and taste better/more tender) oops forgot pork ribs. (yup I'm a pork person) Porterhouse steak, omg yes! English cut roast, well, all sorts of beef roasts as I use them for all sorts of things and can get up to 3-4 meals out of one easy. Chicken......ok, if it's amish free range, I love it. Otherwise........I could never eat it again and be happy. Tyson and all those others taste like plastic to me, doesn't much matter what you do to it. I guess I ate too many free range chickens growing up. But I notice the difference in taste in a huge way.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Meat... Steak. Medium-rare. I love filet mignon, NOT bacon wrapped TYVM. I love prime rib, too - but most times it is overcooked.

Pork ribs - Ooooh.

Chicken - meh. Jett likes it and I'm chickened out.

Prime rib, Prime rib, and more Prime rib! All other meat is awesome.

have never tried "exotics" like tongue, sweet breads, or Bull fries (testicles. saw them only once in a grocery store). don't ever plan to, either.

Bull fries:sick:? This has got to be one of the most disgusting things I've heard this week! I'll have to keep this in mind when I have the urge to pig out. I think it'll keep me on track, lol...

I love prime rib too! I also love a good medication rare strip sirloin and filet mignon (? can't even spell it, lol - Wish I never tasted it because it's way too $$ and reserved for very special occasions) is my very favorite! Chicken is a staple for us - We eat lots of it. I never really ate much meat until I met husband. When he was in the military, he was stationed out west for awhile, remained there for a few years once he got out, and lived on red meat. When we have any kind of steak, to this day, he is always the one who buys it. He is much better at choosing the best pieces. SFR

keista

SFR they are also called Rocky Mountain Oysters - just in case some one tries to get you to try them at a restaurant or something.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
At age 13 I learned from my parents to never eat anything that I didn't know the basic contents. They fed me cabrieto. Roasted baby goat. Probably wouldn't have bothered me, had I known what it was IN ADVANCE.

I love venison, but mostly in stews or sausage. Ground, and mixed half-and-half with fatty ground beef, they make great burgers - they're too lean on their own.

How about "exotics" like escargot or frog legs?

keista

How about "exotics" like escargot or frog legs?
Escargots, are yummy, but only stuffed into mushroom caps. I consider them seafood even though they are land critters - the shell.

Haven't had the opportunity to try frog legs though (also consider those seafood). Have had gator, oxtail and buffalo.

InsaneCdn

Buffalo isn't exotic. At least, not around here.
Ostrich, on the other hand, can be... I've heard it's good but can't afford to buy it.

Hound dog

Nana's are Beautiful
"Exotics?"

Buffalo is delicious. If it wasn't so darn expensive it would instantly become my staple.

Rabbit is yummy too.

Squirrel I can't say I was fond of. But that could've easily been my mom's preps of it too, not the meat itself.

Cow brains, FYI, are totally and utterly disgusting........that is if you can get past the smell to get it into your mouth. (I was smart and didn't eat it, grandma had warned me never to eat something someone would not tell me what it was) My sibs were heaving.

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
Gator's kind of boring. Tough and chewy and not much flavor, in my opinion.

Frog legs taste like chicken... Needless to say, not enough meat!

Wiped Out

Staff member
No exotic stuff for me! I love meat especially most cuts of steak-grilled medium rare (preferably with a margarita on the side:)).

Star*

call 911........call 911
Sirloin. XXWell done - just burn it and bring it. I usually have to know in advance what I want - so that when everyone else is ordering an appetizer? I'm ordering MY steak burnt so it comes the same time everyone elses tar tar is coming so we can eat together. And I mean - WELL WELL if it's black on the outside? THen it's cooked right. Not charcoal - but burnt.

SFR they are also called Rocky Mountain Oysters - just in case some one tries to get you to try them at a restaurant or something.

keista, THANKS for telling me this!! I know I would probably vomit right there and then if I tried one, just thinking about it, is making me rethink another cup of coffee!