Silly question

Malika

Here is a silly question of the washing machine variety! Proving that I am not the world's most practical person.
I have an all-cotton duvet that needs cleaning. It has no washing instructions on it. Should I be able to wash it in the machine??

mazdamama

I don't think you will have a problem. Do not use hot water and if you have concerns use the gentle cycle of your machine. I have taken my all cotton comforter many times to wash it without a problem. Have to take it to the laundrymat because of it's size and they do not have a gentle cycle but I have not had a problem with it on normal.

muttmeister

I've washed and dried mine. Just be sure to do it on low temp and be sure your machine is large enough capacity to hold it.

Malika

Thank you for all your good advice. I don't have a cold wash option on my machine so have set it to the lowest temperature - 30 degrees - and it is whizzing round as we speak :) Hope it survives...

Malika

Okay, it's emerged from the wash - looking rather flat and absolutely sodden (no dryer - this is low-tech life!) and it is now dripping on the line. It looks cleaner!

Malika

Another silly question for the practical minds on this forum...
Can stuffed cushions be put in the washing machine (I wouldn't have thought so)? Or can they be dry cleaned? Not sure how I have got to my advanced age without knowing the answers to these questions, but there you go...
My duvet, by the way, dried beautifully and is now clean and fluffy again :)

AnnieO

Shooting from the Hip
I would take the covers off the cushions - usually they have a zipper.

The insides of the cushions probably would not make it through a washer.

If they don't have a zipper, your best bet is probably to buy a spray-on carpet & upholstery cleaner like Resolve or Spot Shot - I don't know what they have in France - spray on, let dry, vacuum off.

Dry cleaning cushions is horribly expensive here...